• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any tips on doing a fuel pump

84cucv1ton

this would be my first one on any truck.. getting the pump and gasket now. some rtv to for the plate.. thought i would ask.. shes finally up and running time wot work on some of the other things thanks

SSG ALBANESE

Not not you need to but its easy with the batteries out of the way. Also I agree you will be better off using some grease on the "uphill" side of the fuel rod. Only use enough to hold it up for installation. I wouldnt use RTV for the gasket. Use Copper spray adhesive. Spray it liberally and let it dry for a few minutes to get "tacky" then put it on the pump, give it 20-30 to hold enough for installation.

You want to avoid accessive use of RTV. Their is a reason trucks built today dont really use it. Its good for temp repairs. If RTV is used in excess it can come out the sides which is fine externally but internally fuel and oil can cause it to go into your system and clog oil passages. You get the picture : )

stampy

Slip the old one out and put the new one in immediately. Pull the old one out with the left hand and have the new one in your right ready to go. If the key drops smack the housing with a hammer and push the new one in. With thanks to STUMP the one who told me about this.

Hasdrubal

Hope you got a AC-Delco unit because Carter pumps are a piece of @!*#. Put some gasket sealer on the gasket so it will stick to the pump and not fall off. Thread the rear bolt in first just a little so that the pump will hang. Its the harder one to get in so do it first, doing the front one first can lead you to spend hours trying to get the rear bolt aligned. Then attatch the fuel line, its almost impossible to do if you do the bolts up first. I use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a short ratchet and small extension as well as a long socket with no extension. If you cant get the bolts threading by hand, dont force with the ratchet, you could strip the threads. Take the pump off and run the bolts in to make sure they go easily.

Last edited:

84cucv1ton

I know not to buy a carter pump. the pump is an air teck. Never heard of him but mechanic friend said they are pretty good. I was going to use our rtv for the plate. I have a gasket they came to pump thanks for the tips

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airtex is one of the largest fuel pump manufacturers (OEM and aftermatket). Many "name brands" are built by them.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air teck pumps not good I have put as many as three in one truck in 3 weeks. I put in a bosh in this last time .
AEC Wright Retired

84cucv1ton

thanks for the link.. thinking about a electric fuel pump now.. get a block off plate. also would have a place to drain the oil from the turbo.. any recommenced fuel pumps?? thanks

K9Vic

thanks for the link.. thinking about a electric fuel pump now.. get a block off plate. also would have a place to drain the oil from the turbo.. any recommenced fuel pumps?? thanks

Airtex - Diesel Electric Fuel Pump Part # E8153

This is the one and others here use, have them myself in all my CUCV trucks and works great. Makes it easy to prime the system after a fuel filter change where you only need to turn it on to bleed out the air. :jumpin:

tequilaiam

I used a solid-state pump from an aircraft supply site. I figure the lack of metal contacts or brushes is just one less thing to worry about for the price difference. It makes a slight clicking sound when full of fuel and a louder one when dry so when I'm watching the wait light I can hear if its running and if there's fuel in the line or not. Hasn't mattered though. Been on a year, no issues.

FACET SOLID STATE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS from Aircraft Spruce

Cucvnut

Give the pump a coat of clear to keep it nice. And i found taking off the passenger side alt gives you tons of room. When i did my pump i used assembly lube to hold the rod in.