• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any video?

Lax

Does anyone have a short video on where and how to check the fluid levels of the transfer case, differentials and trany for an M35A2? It has been so long and it is now so cold (19 degrees, well below zero windchill) I don't want to spend any more time out and underneath my deuce then I need to. Thank you.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, but the TM outlines it.

Pull the check plugs on them. All should be a knuckle below the fill port. If memory serves, they're all 1/2" drive.

Lax

That's the problem Patracy. I don't know which plugs are for what. A very short video showing where the plugs are and which ones would solve my problem real quick. Even a few photos pointing out the plugs from a few feet away so I can recognize their location would be a big help. A close up from 6-12 inches away does not help me locate them unless I can get some from a couple feet away too to help me identify their location. Thanks.

Speedzilla

Transmission is a Spicer 3053, Transfer Case is a Rockwell T136, Axles are commonly referred to as Rockwell 2.5T axles. The axles have a model number but I am not familiar with it. The Lubrication order will have fluid types listed.

Edit: Transmission is a 3053A

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That TM I listed only deals with deuce stuff and even though there were 2 different trans and 2 cases, they all used the same outside case so the plugs are the same.

Speedzilla

That TM I listed only deals with deuce stuff and even though there were 2 different trans and 2 cases, they all used the same outside case so the plugs are the same.
I believe all M35A2's have the 3053A, and the sprag/air shift transfer cases are both a Rockwell T136 variant, please correct me if I am wrong though.

Lax, you can ignore the next bit of info to avoid confusion. Recovry4x4, I believe there were four transmissions offered in the M44 series trucks, the 4 speed, 5 speed, 5 speed over and the Allison, but did all have a variant of the T136? I'm not sure about the early trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot the A3 as I usually do. Despite the fact that they really are part of the M44 series, I can't bring myself to recognize them. Other than that there were 2 trannys. 3053 and 3053A. While the A was supposed to be in multifuel trucks, I've had gassers with the 3053A from the government and multis with direct drive. None ever came with a 4 speed (unless that A3 juice tranny is a 4 speed). Transfers cases were the T136-21 and T136-27 with the 27 being an air shift. There was a super early transfer that only had a single overrunning clutch.

18operator

LAX, Believe it or not there is a video on U tube on how to change the trans oil on the deuce.. In it the gentleman tells you which plugs to go for.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My question is this though. What would you rather trust. Someone whom you don't know on the internet, or the actual manuals for the vehicle in question? I'm not saying any video might be wrong that people have mentioned. But I know I've seen stuff posted on the internet that wasn't correct. Just saying....

18operator

First thing I did when I got my truck was to take (a lot) of time to pour over the TM's and lubrication charts. But its sometimes nice to see pictures and video to back up the items in the TM... Take the videos with a grain of salt and go by what you learned in the TM.

18operator

Those videos have given me a lot of pointers on my truck, very helpful! Just remember, always consult your TM. Whenever I go to dive into a project, I print out the TM that pertains to the work at hand. After that it's put in a binder ready for the next time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With the title of this thread being WHAT IT IS, makes this thread WORTHLESS to somebody searching for the same answers, WHAT is the POINT of even starting a thread that WILL NOT help other members looking for the same answers that you are??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks