• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody done a full resto on a m211 or m135?

deuceman51

I'm just starting mine and was wondering what people are using for primer and paint on them? I've heard that 24087 is the correct color, but other websites also say a WWII semi gloss could be correct also. What do you guys use. Also i'm new to painting vehicles so some good advice would help. I'm going to sandblast parts, air clean and wipe with dry rag, prime them, paint, wet sand the paint, and then give them a 2nd coat. Is this right, wrong, i'm an idiot, etc. lol. What is a HVLP sprayer, I have a paint sprayer, but it is not that kind. If you have any advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Deuceman
1951 M135
1954 M211

j land

my m135 has wwII semi gloss on it now. I got it that way. I think its a gillespie only color as my local aervo dealer cant match it I have half a spray can of it left its a little darker than the OD on my m37 but not quite forest green of later. i could send you a pic if it helps.

Tony

HVLP stands for high pressure low volume, not a good gun to use on enamel, if you use Gillesp' WWII semi-gloss it is enamel, use a gun like Binks keep pressure to aboout 40-60 psi

Tony

deuceman51,
Thought that I should add more info which may help you..I did quite a bit of research on this and my conclusion was to use Gillespie paint and primer. I bought my paint from Army Jeep Parts, they have a web page which also gives some painting info.
I used WWII semigloss which is from late 1944 to 1957, my M-135 is a 1951
In discussions with them and the manufacture I would give you this info..After you sand blast and air clean wipe with a lint free cloth with lacquer thinner.Do not handle the parts with your bare hands , use gloves, your hands may contaminate the parts, which are susceptible to contamination at this point in your painting process..Do not delay for a excessive period of time from sandblasting to the prime coat.
Reduce the paint with a product and ratio as recommended by the manufacturer. This is very important.
It was suggested to me to prime 3 coats and top coat with three coats. When I painted , the weather was a warm sunny day and I primed all three coats the same day when each coat was dry,I resprayed.
I waited overnight for the prime coats to dry.The next day I sprayed the top coat, as this the way it was suggested to me. I did not scuff between prime coats nor top coats.
I painted my first two hubs this way..And they look great. Also I never sprayed enamel before , although I have sprayed lacquer many times. My lacquer sprayer is an HVLP unit, and I was advised not to use an a HVLP system. So I reverted to the conventional system with a Binks Gun.
Hope this helps you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks