• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anybody have sprag transfer case engage on highway?

winfred

went out for the first nice long run since i got it and after maybe 8-10 miles at 45-50 things got real interesting as the driveline started popping and unloading, got onto the shoulder then inspected things and found nothing leaking or dangling, could see a pair of light black front tire marks as i was getting off road, happened to be at a useful exit and got off and took surface streets back toward home with no further issues, got it up above 45 once i got back on the home side of the mississippi river, rolled around under it once home on creeper and couldn't find anything odd, transfercase wasn't too hot to touch for a few seconds which seems to track with what i've searched. up to before today i've put 40 miles on it including a highway run to work to get the physical inspection done at state police but i think it sat for a very long time before i got it, found the last filled out what's busted sheet in glove box dated 05IMG_2786.jpg i am wanting a air shift even more now then i did before, i hate automatic anything

dmetalmiki

Sympathies..I am just starting to have these symptoms now on my 5 ton. Sometimes skidding and banging in reverse, or actually winding up before I sense the problem and drive forward to take off the strain. To avoid this happening at (any!) speed I have a transfer case, and a gearbox waiting to to be fitted, When I get get motivated, And..some "help".

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to the hassle of replacing it, you should really look at just upgrading to the air shift transfer case. I upgraded two of my trucks from sprags and it's really just plumb in the factory airline kit and there you go. I have a government rebuilt transfer case for sale if you decide to go that route.

3rdmdqm

Have had same issues. Sprague out of adjustment, steering wheel started pulling and jerking going down road. Scary. Heard loud bang one time pulling into a garage bay to replace tires, scared the heck out of people standing around. Short term remedy for me, I took out the front drive shaft and have had no issues since. I'm obtained an air shift transfer case I'm waiting to install. Sprague system is an interesting beast.

HanksDeuce

Can't help you at the moment to diagnose the problems, but if you ever do get an air shift transfer case I'll help you put it in. No sweat. I've pulled mine twice. I'm in Prairieville.

tommys2patrick

Mine does the scary loud bang sound. Its a sprague. I live in the mountains and when I have it in low range it does not like going forward then reverse then forward very much. it is also much harder to steer unless you really need to work on upper body and back muscles. In high range it is much less finicky. On hard road surfaces I would make sure the sprague has "popped" out before going from offroad to on road. and put it in high range as well. You may already have figured this out.

Based on the sound it makes, it sure seems like it must be doing some heavy wear somewhere in the drive train. or worse.

Baddoug337

I hate to jump in here but I'm having different problem right this minute. There is a good leak coming from a small fixture on top of the transfer case. The fixture has a rubber coated line going into it and looks like it may be the speedo cable, not sure though. This is my first Deuce and I'm 500 miles in on the 1000 mile journey back home to Louisiana. This morning while it was still cool from sitting all night I put 2 qts of 80w-90 in it. Now about 100 miles down the road it seems the leak/drip is worse and the temp is 200 degrees on the surface and the tranny surface temp is showing 170 degrees (with a laser temp gauge). Any thoughts on what this fixture is and how I can fix the leak that seems to be coming from a small screw in the forward end of the fixture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to right now I'm stopped at a truck stop hoping to not have me and the deuce stranded so far from home. Ty

HanksDeuce

I can only speak for the air shift transfer case. The speedometer cable screws into an adapter fitting in the middle of the transfer case below the driveshaft that comes from the transmission, but above the driveshaft that is connected to the front axle. There really isn't any way of plugging that short of taking the adapter out of the transfer case and replacing it with a welded fitting. You would lose your factory speedometer if you did that. I plugged mine, but I have an Autometer GPS speedometer ($$$). On the lower part of the air shift transfer case is the air line and cylinder for engaging the front axle.

Now on the very top of the transfer case (flat plate) should be a vent. Most stock deuces have a little thimble looking vent that's basically a crimped fitting. Those plug all the time and cause the transfer case to leak due to overpressure. I replaced that crimped fitting on my transfer case with a barbed fitting with tubing that goes up into the cab to a fuel filter. It helps me ford deep water.

Attached below are a few pictures of my transfer case for reference.

If you need more information check out my website with pictures of swapping out the factory air shift transfer case and installation of the transfer case breather tube.
http://hanksdeuce.com/transfer_case_swap.htm
http://hanksdeuce.com/transfer_case_breather.htm

Attachments

Last edited:

Baddoug337

I appreciate someone taking the time to educate this newbie. Good news, we made it home just before midnight, ending my stressful thousand mile trip with my new Deuce. I am actually very surprised that I ran a 1971 Deuce with more than 44K miles and 11k hours at full to 3/4 throttle for 16+ hours for 2 days in a row without anything more than a leaky transfer case and the occasional cutting out of the engine (only pulling up hills and overpasses) which seemed to only accure when I was running it over 2100rpm. If I held it steady at 2000 rpm it ran just fine up and down and flat for 2-3 hours straight without stopping. Very impressed with this purchase. Now that it's official guess I need to do the "new member" check in and post some good pics of this beautiful beast. Again, thanks for the info.

winfred

thanks for the offer, i am a heavy/diesel tech at a buick/gmc dealer and ain't met too many things i cant fix, even if they aren't broken, just a matter of time and money. saw yours ate a diff, that sucks

Can't help you at the moment to diagnose the problems, but if you ever do get an air shift transfer case I'll help you put it in. No sweat. I've pulled mine twice. I'm in Prairieville.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks