• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OH Anybody have USAA for their military vehicle?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Ohio and have had USAA for my regular vehicles and home for nearly 30 years, but I've never insured a military or antique vehicle with them. I'm looking to buy an M35 that's currently registered as an antique, just wondering if any of you have any experience with them insuring your MV's.

INFChief

I'm in Ohio and have had USAA for my regular vehicles and home for nearly 30 years, but I've never insured a military or antique vehicle with them. I'm looking to buy an M35 that's currently registered as an antique, just wondering if any of you have any experience with them insuring your MV's.
I called them for a quote on my 1083. Said they don’t insure them. Been with them for 30 years.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
USAA would not insure a deuce when I asked. I tried with them when I lived in GA, then again in KS. Something about how their underwriter considers it a commercial vehicle no matter how it’s registered. Mine was registered as a pickup in Alaska. Their threshold for commercial vehicles is arbitrary, something like 12000lbs. 6 wheels may have been a factor, I don’t recall exactly. My info is several years old, and policies are written by state, so your mileage may vary. I went with Progressive, they didn’t care as long as it wasn’t registered or operated as a commercial vehicle.
I have my M38 insured with USAA, not as a collector vehicle, just as a ‘52 Jeep. No complaints from me.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They insured/insure my HMMWV no problem but I have heard, or seem to recall having heard, they won't accept any new applications. I could tell you where I heard that, I may be misremembering.

Can't hurt to try calling and asking, their rates are great.

BDGR

diesel_dave

USAA wouldn't even try to insure my HMMWV. Neither would Progressive which is who USAA referred me to. State Farm did it without a single issue though.

DaneGer21

My insurance guy is a writer for Hagerty. He actually got Deuce covered cheaper than Hagerty’s online quote. I am in Ohio if you need a contact. Took me less than 48hrs, no driving restrictions or parking/storage restrictions. Mine isn’t even tagged as antique; I put standard plates on it so I can drive as much as I want.

Tapper02

USAA partners with Progressive for any classic or commercial vehicle insurance. Ended up getting "commercial insurance for private use only" for my M915A1 through them via referral through USAA.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here's the outcome...
Called USAA, talked to a very nice lady, went through the algorithm, had to stop because of the weight of a deuce. They then referred me to Liberty insurance, they can't insure the deuce. So I called progressive, took a little while to get me to the right person, but the 1st lady I talked to had me on the line the whole 8-10 minutes it took to get to the right person. The guy I talked to was very nice also, took probably about 40-45 min. to get everything done, but got insurance through them. Cost me a little over $400 for a year, but I went a bit high on the coverage just in case... Probably could've done bare minimum for about $230, but I'd like to not give up my house. Funny thing is, the Progressive guy mentioned that they had some kind of partnership with USAA for this sort of thing, don't know why they referred me to Liberty. Truck is titled as a non-commercial truck.

DaneGer21

So here's the outcome...
Called USAA, talked to a very nice lady, went through the algorithm, had to stop because of the weight of a deuce. They then referred me to Liberty insurance, they can't insure the deuce. So I called progressive, took a little while to get me to the right person, but the 1st lady I talked to had me on the line the whole 8-10 minutes it took to get to the right person. The guy I talked to was very nice also, took probably about 40-45 min. to get everything done, but got insurance through them. Cost me a little over $400 for a year, but I went a bit high on the coverage just in case... Probably could've done bare minimum for about $230, but I'd like to not give up my house. Funny thing is, the Progressive guy mentioned that they had some kind of partnership with USAA for this sort of thing, don't know why they referred me to Liberty. Truck is titled as a non-commercial truck.
I’m always curious of all the coverage numbers. I was able to land Hagerty for $180/yr @$7500 replacement coverage with zero restrictions as well

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m always curious of all the coverage numbers. I was able to land Hagerty for $180/yr @$7500 replacement coverage with zero restrictions as well
100K injury per person, 300K per accident, 50K property damage. 1K deductible, 10K collision. Also have uninsured motorists.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told USAA would not insure my M1009 or my Deuce. Said that they do not insure FMV's. Simple and straight forward. I could accept that. Got my Deuce insured with Allstate. Simple and decently priced

P-Shooter

I still have not resolved getting insurance for my M35A3 in Florida. All of the collector insurance companies require it to be garaged. USAA won't do anything over 14000 pounds. Progressive won't write a policy for one in Florida to an individual so I would have to create a business. Haven't gotten any further. I am now working on the title hell the truck is stuck in.

Bobweb

I still have not resolved getting insurance for my M35A3 in Florida. All of the collector insurance companies require it to be garaged. USAA won't do anything over 14000 pounds. Progressive won't write a policy for one in Florida to an individual so I would have to create a business. Haven't gotten any further. I am now working on the title hell the truck is stuck in.
I went through the same thing in Florida. Finally got my m35a2 titled and insured through Hagerty. Pm me if you need assistance

I went through pure hell to get my deuce on the road

P-Shooter

I went through the same thing in Florida. Finally got my m35a2 titled and insured through Hagerty. Pm me if you need assistance

I went through pure hell to get my deuce on the road
Thanks, I may take you up on that. I am currently waiting to see if I can even get a title for it. I have found that it is worse than I thought. Hopefully I hear back from where I got it but I am not holding much hope. I may have to get a lawyer to file to have the title assigned to me.

Bobweb

Thanks, I may take you up on that. I am currently waiting to see if I can even get a title for it. I have found that it is worse than I thought. Hopefully I hear back from where I got it but I am not holding much hope. I may have to get a lawyer to file to have the title assigned to me.
They stone walled me at the region office in palmetto Florida (I was southwest Florida)
Kemper mcspadden(regional president guy)told me there was no way to tittle my deuce other than an off-road vehicle and that it was not allowed on the road. I said that bs and showed him the motor vehicle statute for military vehicles(which I have to dig up) and it was legal to title this m35a2 as a truck. I ended up going to the Florida state attorney general. Long story short, I got what I wanted. But that guy didn’t lose his job nor did anyone else for disobeying Florida law and they were condescending and downright mean to me all the way. And that was just the title. Insurance was a whole other ballgame

hmu if u wanna talk. I’ll help anyway I can to stick a finger in these peoples eye

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USAA insures my M38, My M880s. They won't insure my Harley though and I have that through Progressive, which they have an agreement with. (literally progressive for USAA customers).

Some may have to do with how "little" information is on NC titles. There's simply not a lot to go on. Both my M880s and the M38 are listed as Antiques.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks