• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone else been here?

velociT

Ok, just got the deuce and it needs a bit of brake work.

Just found out my friend who was gonna help me fix it up just threw his back out and needed to have emergency surgery....

I'm still totally green (no pun intended) to these trucks, but he has worked on them before.

I have limited tools here, so who do Central Texas members call or use when they need something repaired?

AceHigh

Brakes aren't bad at all. Hard parts are removing the lug nuts and manhandling the tires, wheels and brake drums.

Other than that actually easier than most brake drum cars IMO.

jblack6527

If you can work on regular car/truck brakes, you can work on deuce brakes. I've found that aside from the weight, everything is easier on the deuce. it's bigger, so it's easy to see, and get ahold of. :)

stampy

Yes I agree with the above just make sure the deuce is on jack stands. It is intimidating at first (I was lucky to have my buddy stump to help) but it is real straight foreward. Look up the Pm and search on the site for instructions.:-D

Barrman

Get the OTC 1907 socket, a 12 ton or bigger bottle jack, a pair of 5 ton or bigger jack stands, the 1-1/2" Budd lug nut socket, a 3/4" breaker bar, a cheater pipe to fit over the breaker bar, read the -20 and -30 manuals here on the site and have at it. Figure one weekend to get all the wheel cylinders and brake hoses off. Order your parts if you need any on Monday from places like OD Iron, get them by the next weekend and put it all back together.

Order a couple gallons of BFS (Dot 5) from Sprucemtsurplus here on SS to. Should be about $80 to your door for 2 gallons. You will only use about 1 quart, but you will now have plenty when you need it for the next few years.

If you have ever done any drum brake work in the past, these trucks will seem easy in comparison. 1 spring to remove and lots of room to work. I would offer to help, but I have parts collecting road trips scheduled the next 2 weekends and then we are into family time I can't cut short.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like everybody else has said, just read the TMs and jump in. The TM will give step by step instructions and if you run into a problem you can post it here and we will guide you through it. I have found out that when I let a shop work on any vehicle I pay twice as much and it doesn't get fixed to my standards. This is even more true with MVs because most local shops don't have any idea what they are doing when it comes to MVs.

Scarecrow1

Make sure you take a lot of pics as you tear it down , then when you forget where something went you won't have to take off the other side (yet ) to see where it went . Good luck and be safe ................:-D

ccequipment

Its just bigger like everyone else said, if you need any help give me a call at 812-322-4907, I have all the parts in stock like shoes, springs, seals, hardware kits, lockwashers, wheel cylinders etc. Just do one wheel at a time, so you can look at the others if you forget were something goes.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere on the site, someone posted a step by step with pics. Maybe try a search. I was a bit ago, but I don't think it was before the switch to the new site.

pa.rich

I found the most difficult part was getting ALL the air out of the system after replacing the wheel cylinders. The M211 has 2 on each wheel! I have to do more on it. Now the five ton has 2 bad wheel cylinders leaking fluid. If you take it apart for that reason you would be smart to do them all while its apart and jacked up . Dont do half like I did. Now I will have to do the system bleeding all over again. Duhh. They are simple compared to the cars I have worked on. The parts are very heavy, but you can always get a helper for that. I suppose the five tonners will have heavier drums than the duece and a half.

airmech3839

Brake fluid??????

Order a couple gallons of BFS (Dot 5) from Sprucemtsurplus here on SS to. Should be about $80 to your door for 2 gallons. You will only use about 1 quart, but you will now have plenty when you need it for the next few years.

$80 ???????? 2 gallons??? .....where has this been all my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

OMGosh!!!!!!!!!! I have paid $28 for a quart!!!!:-x

But to keep with the thread brakes are easy enough with proper tools. Don't start project without proper tools!! Trust me you will end up frustrated and tired of the truck in a short time if you just try and wing it!! That's when Murphy visits for the rest of the job!!

Have your friend watch and bark orders to you and another buddy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks