• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have knowledge of the m656?

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for some insight to a t-case issue on my m656. Anyone here have any knowledge experience with the beast? Is this t-case used on other rigs as well?

Issue: Free rotation of input shaft.

I am thinking I may have an air issue as my t-case does not seem to be engaging for for drive, at all.

Looking for some insight.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a chance to really look at it today. Looks like the input shaft broke or let go somehow. I know the bearing is toast, but the way the input yoke is moving, something is very wrong. The t-case I have is exactly like the one for sale on ebay right now...

Item: 792387453

Military M656 8x8 Transfer Case Government Rebuilt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like time to do some surgery on it, if anything besides a tapered roller bearing is shot, your best bet is the ebay unit you found. Nobody is going to have parts on the shelf for that very unique transfer case.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the data plate say M656? That bed came off a different truck, maybe yours was a van originally.
Yes, the data plate does say m656. The bed had been switched out before me. In fact, I believe it was the movie set company that had put it on. This rig was in the movie 2012 for it's 5 second cameo. True story.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a very sweet find ! Hope you find the parts u need its way to kool to leave sitting you should take to stampede days in the parade . GOOD LUCK
Oh for sure. It is a well running rig. Here are a couple links to some youtube videos of this exact machine being run by the previous owner, after it was used in the movie as mentioned.

It is(was) a fantastic running rig as you can see. I have had it in storage for the last 4 years. Started up and moved around here and there. But something happened during this last year where it was. Can't say for sure, but something obviously went wrong when it was being driven at one point. Unfortunately it wasn't me as I live 8 hours away from where I have it stored. So now it is time to get this t-case issue sorted and have it back to what you see in the vids.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the 656 is a screamer, the LDS in it is turned way up to 200 horsepower and the Allison seems to keep it around the redline 2800 rpm most of the time you are on the throttle.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all! Hoping someone can validate something for me. Am I correct in that there are no issues flat towing the m656??? Or.... if not... what needs to be done to properly tow the rig?

Side note... it is being safely flat towed by a semi tow truck, so no issues there. ;)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all! Hoping someone can validate something for me. Am I correct in that there are no issues flat towing the m656??? Or.... if not... what needs to be done to properly tow the rig?

Side note... it is being safely flat towed by a semi tow truck, so no issues there. ;)
I don't know squat about the M-656. It looks like a REALLY NEAT truck though!!

The information about flat towing that I have seen suggests removing the drive shafts. Just plain logic says that if you have a problem with the input shaft on the transfer case - removing the drive shafts would avoid any further damage to the drivetrain.

Reading here about flat towing: The key to the ability to survive a tow is to make sure that the pulling vehicle needs to be heavier than the thing you want to drag home. Guessing only - does your M-656 have air brakes? If if does, then having the air connected so you can make this thing stop! That may not be the case. Just GUESSING here, but pulling this with anything less than a 5-Ton could be a scary! And if it rains or starts to rain - pull over and stop.

M656 NSN 2320-00-999-8418 TM9-2320-230 Series.jpg

Did a few searches... FleaBay has a transfer case for one of these trucks. Price was amazingly reasonable @ $1500. and is supposedly remanufactured in Akron, Ohio.

s-l500 Transfer Case.jpg s-l500 Transfer Case (Back).jpg s-l500 Transfer Case (DataPlate).jpg

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. (y)(y)

Re towing: AS mentioned the tow vehicle is definitely heavier. We're good there.

Re air brakes: Yes, the unit as air brakes, not sure about option to connect externally.

Re t-case on ebay: I have already been in touch with the fellow. Likely going to snag one and have it shipped up. Just have to deal with a broker and shipping company which will be fun. (note sarcasm) ;)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the info. (y)(y)

Re towing: AS mentioned the tow vehicle is definitely heavier. We're good there.

Re air brakes: Yes, the unit as air brakes, not sure about option to connect externally.

Re t-case on ebay: I have already been in touch with the fellow. Likely going to snag one and have it shipped up. Just have to deal with a broker and shipping company which will be fun. (note sarcasm) ;)
Neat!! Glad to have found a little info and I wish I could drive it over the border for you.
That is a COOL truck!

Finding the NSN 2320-00-999-8418
and a
Technical Manual TM9-2320-230 Series

That few numbers might be useful as well...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks