• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone here have a T-72 or 55/54/60????

EZFEED

I'm trying to figure out if I can fit inside a T-72. I'm over 6' and have about a 40" waist and I'm told "no way" "it's made for kids" etc.....

Does anyone have one or have access to one and could possibly measure the driver and turret hatches for me and maybe give me an idea if I will be able to fit inside (and actually be able to close the hatch too)???????

If its true and I'm too big then how does a 55 or later model up to the 72 compare? This might be my next-next after the BMP-1 and I'd really like to know. :cry:

waayfast

Wow! Whoda thunkit! Great big tank/ little tiny people. I just read a book "World Tanks and Reconnaissance Vehicles Since 1945". Has quotes such as"The Soviets are going to be in trouble(for tank crews)when they run out of strong left-handed midgets (gun loaders T-54/55)---indeed it was remarked upon by western observers that even the crews of T-72's shown to military attaches in 1979 ranged in height from 1.55m to 1.60mm(5ft to 5ft 4in).
Whew, thank god I have a plausible excuse for not buying one instead of the (real)old embarrassing standby "can't afford it,can't afford to haul it,can't afford to feed it,components to big to work on without support equipment excuse!
Jim

opie65

Your going to be pretty jammed in there. Not that you'll be loading in a 72, but I was in a 72M two years ago, and at 6' 211 and a 34 waist, it is a little tight.

The autoloader will slim you down, though.... Crunch...

EZFEED

Sh*t......

So then it is true. Is it just a matter of getting past the hatch opening or is it cramped all the way inside? To answer the question about the BMP-1 its yes. I do fit in the BMP, I may have to elevate one arm while entering the drivers hatch but once in I have enough room t move around and all. If the T-72 is like that then I can hang, if its just tight all the way around I guess I'll be shopping for something different.

Opie, would you have any pics of you inside it? Or maybe elaborate more on just how tight it is?

Does anyone know of a museum or private owner here in the southestern US that has one that I could visit and size out?

opie65

I think there is an Armor Museum in AL somewhere. What they have?
I'll see what I have for pictures. I know you can see some in KY... Do you have a contact at Polk? I think they have a few T - somethings there. I thought the "Arcadians" had some.

I don't know what you want to take out, but you could tear a lot of the 125mm kit out. The Driver's Compartment... I think you better try one on for size.

Do you know Excalibur?

LanceRobson

Soviet tanks are VERY small. Note that many of thier tanks weigh in at little more than halfthe weight of the M1 series.

The Soviets were never able to build long lived and reliable engines to compare with NATO's.

The quality was so bad that the Chech's, who had the best developed and highest quality arms industry in the Soviet Block, used to take delivery and before issuing them to unit's, they'd disassemble them and re-manufacture them.

The Chech's used to routinely complain about things like engine oil galleries that didn't line up etc.

Unreliable and low powered engines with short lives and the horrible Eastern European and Russian roads made for small tanks.

As stated above, the Soviet tank corp was limited to those 5'4" and shorter.

Lance

waayfast

Hey, what the heck!! Go ahead and buy it and let the teenagers in the family take turns driving it to school or at least the wife drive it to PTA meetings!!:twisted:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if you can contact them but the Marine Reserve Tank Unit in Yakima, WA has one for a gate guard that they brought back from the first Gulf War. They might be able to take measurements for you. I haven't been closer than 50 yards to it but next to an M1 it looked like a Matchbox Toy.

Sumoman

I sat in one we had just "liberated" during the gulf war.. that is after we took the previous occupants out:twisted:

Anyway I am 6 foot.. Not exactly comfort and I would say you'd be crazy to think luxury about any tank. You'd fit but expect a long drive in town to cramp your back as much as your budget:roll:

EZFEED

Cool:-D I will check out the places you guys have mentioned. Maybe I can get some info!

Sumoman, this is reassuring! I really like the lines of the 72 but if I cant fit then the 55 or 62 will work I'm pretty sure. Only thing is I have found they are somewhat more expensive than the T-72 and they are somewhat more difficult to find in the condition I want (150% mechanical but needs a little tlc with paint and electrical). Either they are heaps or are really nice and pushing the $20,000 mark which is a little too rich for me.

EZFEED

Noooo British armor for me please. Too many things to break and they dont seem very maintenance friendly.
Cost is another factor too. Buy from a dealer and you pay for his time, expenses, etc do it yourself and buy direct and its a whole lot cheaper. Cant afford to spend $40,000 or more on toys like that:roll:

waayfast

Yep, me neither--way outta my league on all those counts!If I could dabble in the big spendy stuff I'd probly go with a BMP-1---they look like a kick!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracked stuff is cool, but it is not made for the bigger guys. I'm 6'1 and it is tough getting in most armor let alone sitting at the drivers position. I was in a Stewat=rt the other day and I thought I wasn't gonna get out after wiggling into it!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to a fellow last night who is 6'2". When he was in Afganistan on his first tour, they had a T-72 near the front gate to play with. He said he weighed 200 pounds then and it was a tight fit to get in, and cramped to stay in there, especially buttoned up. He weighs more now and says he would not try it again without slimming down. YMMV.

Malyutkaman

T-72 room

EZFEED, Forgot to mention it in my PM but I've sat in T-72, 55, 34 when I was at Budges in England buying my BRDM. I'm 6'6" 200lbs so diameter for me is no problem but height is. T-55 on up are cramped to say the least but the T-72 was the worst by far with the auto loader in the turret there's not much room. I didn't try the drivers seat but would imagine it is just as small. Even in the BRDM I have trouble operating the brake and clutch since the steering wheel doesn't move. One interesting note, I knew all this before I bought the vehicle but it was so cool I got it anyway.
The only tank I would really like to get would be the T-34/85. With no turret basket there's lots of room to crawl from the drivers seat to the turret and back again, also lots of power and relatively:roll: affordable.

BTW here's some pix of the BRDM

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks