• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Know much about the prc-138 and the rf-5022

vimby210

Just picked up a bunch of radio equipment in a trade, Cant really find much of anyone talking about the two radios. Anyone know much about the Prc-138, and the RF-5022. How rare are they? Are they sought after?Miltary Radios 2.jpg

Attachments

papakb

That's an RF5833 150 watt amp for the 138, not a 5022. Unfortunately without a firmware change it won't work with it. We researched all this about 3 years ago. The 5833 amp is basically the same as the RF-5033 that will work with the 138 but Harris changed the firmware and now it will only work with the PRC-150. We do have a replacement flash ram chip that will make it operational.

Sorry, totally zoned out about the 5022 thinking you'd misidentified the RF amp. I forgot that Harris's RF-5022 was a whole series of HF/VHF radios and amps and that the 138 was just one component of it. Excellent equipment but big stuff. You need a vehicle with lots of space if you plan on going mobile with it.

Did you manage to get the AT-1011 mobile antenna too or was it running with a long wire set up?

Great find!

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

vimby210

That's an RF5833 150 watt amp for the 138, not a 5022. Unfortunately without a firmware change it won't work with it. We researched all this about 3 years ago. The 5833 amp is basically the same as the RF-5033 that will work with the 138 but Harris changed the firmware and now it will only work with the PRC-150. We do have a replacement flash ram chip that will make it operational.

Sorry, totally zoned out about the 5022 thinking you'd misidentified the RF amp. I forgot that Harris's RF-5022 was a whole series of HF/VHF radios and amps and that the 138 was just one component of it. Excellent equipment but big stuff. You need a vehicle with lots of space if you plan on going mobile with it.

Did you manage to get the AT-1011 mobile antenna too or was it running with a long wire set up?

Great find!

Kurt
KG6KMJ
Kurt,

Thanks for the reply, There is a 5022 in the photo. As far as i know, the guy i got this from says everything works with each other. He also is a Ham. He has so much military radio equipment it isnt even funny. I almost got one of the 400 watt amps, he has several. Ive been offered one, i may buy one outright. Id be interested in chatting with you for sure, just let me know a good time.

I did not get the Mobile At-1011, I wish! Id love to put it in my M-923, but I highly doubt i would. The 5022 base id like to set up at the house, I run a harris RF-1944 inverted v on my home set up, this military base radio makes a great eye piece. The PRC-138 is a rare find from what i see.

Joe
Ki7LDL

papakb

Kurt,

Thanks for the reply, There is a 5022 in the photo. As far as i know, the guy i got this from says everything works with each other. He also is a Ham. He has so much military radio equipment it isnt even funny. I almost got one of the 400 watt amps, he has several. Ive been offered one, i may buy one outright. Id be interested in chatting with you for sure, just let me know a good time.

I did not get the Mobile At-1011, I wish! Id love to put it in my M-923, but I highly doubt i would. The 5022 base id like to set up at the house, I run a harris RF-1944 inverted v on my home set up, this military base radio makes a great eye piece. The PRC-138 is a rare find from what i see.

Joe
Ki7LDL

Hi Joe,

I'll check QRZ and see if they have a phone number for you and I'll give you a call. I'm currently running my 138 in my HMMWV 996 ambulance and love it. I have several AT1011s but shipping would be a killer!

Kurt
KG6KMJ
papakb@yahoo.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks