• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone own a high mileage cucv?

fitz

Although i'm new to this site it seems like allot of members have just aquired there current cucv. I've also noticed that most of the seem to have low miles. Most of the M1008's and M1028's seem to have 30K-50K on them when purchesed while many of the M1009's are up to about 90K on them.
Do any members have high mileage 6.2's? Just wondering what the life expectancy of these drivetrains is. I know maintenance plays a huge roll, would just love to hear some success stories from some owners of high mileage cucv's.

91W350

My first one was running perfect January 16th, 2004.... On that day it got hit hard, mileage on the accident report reflects 88794. I got to drive mine home. The Suburban that ran the red light was totalled and towed. It still was not using oil and I never had any trouble with it. The flywheel and lift pump were toast when I bought it. It also had two mismatched tire, which I replaced. It had been serving the Saline County Jail, hauling whatever they needed and plowing snow on all the Sheriff Office lots. They picked it up at McConnell AFB in Wichita, Kansas with a broken rear glass. I bought the remains from the insurance company and should have fixed it. Instead I sold it on Ebay and I think he is still plowing snow and using it in his landscape business. Glen

4bogginchevys

I'm too hard on the 6.2 to get high mileage expectancy, but i'll be more than happy if she lasts for 200,000. A big block is in the future, and with 78,000 on the clock there's plenty of time to build it.:)

acmunro

My CUCVs have low mileage, but have a civilian K10 that had 260,000 on it before I replaced the engine and trans. The 6.2 leaked quite a bit of oil ( blowby ) but it still got decent fuel mileage. I'm sure the engine would still be running today. but the transmission failed so I had a good engine and trans already bolted together so I replaced both. It is a 1982 the first year for the 6.2.

swyne

My M1028 only has 50K but I have a '82 Chevette Diesel with over 350K. I run it everyday to work. I believe servicing is the key. Good filters and good oil!!

Stonepicker1

My M1028 runs great. I've had it for over 10 years now and have put over 120,000 miles on her. I replaced the injector pump around seven years ago and boy did it make a differents.

I been from south florida to MD, to MI and IL many times pulling a trailer.

Just keep up with the PMCS and they are great trucks.

Attachments

91W350

I agree with that whole heartedly, that and respecting the engine's operating range. Watch your oil when you change it or check it. Really thin oil may be getting fuel in it. Foam is usually an indication of water. Oily coolant is not cool.....

kennyw

My '83 K20 is up to 260K with no problems on the 6.2L, other than a little low on power. That probably has more to do with the 37" tires and 4.10 gear combo than the motor though. However, the original 700R4 transmission was replaced multiple times before I bought the truck and fixed it with a TH400.

jj

98,000 just today on an M-1009. About 18,000 of those are mine. Some attention to the starter, batteries, glow plugs, etc. has made it very reliable in the cold. Smokes some when starting cold but not otherwise. My 2002 gmc with a 6.5 has 257,000 miles. Ditto the cold start smoke. But, otherwise also very reliable. Nothing that big should go from 40 to 80 as fast as it does. Makes me grin, every time.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my 1008 has 200,000km (124,274miles) and running strong , I've owned it for 10 years, and look after it , just redid the body and paint , this one is ex Canadian Forces , we had less than 1000 CUCV trucks purchased at the end of the U.S. contract, 1008 & 1010 only, other truck is a 1031 with 12,000 miles,

Johnny Bravo

My first M1009 had around 80k, I know it was beat on hard before I got it, had it for 4 months and then the bottom end gave out. I put a 6.2 out of my '82 suburban in there that now has well over 300k on it, only thing I had to replace was the water pump and rear seal.
I just got another M1009 with around 80k on it, but this one I think was taken much better care of so with some luck I'll get 300k+ out of it.

The PIG Smith

I own a 1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van that is powered by a 6.2.
I bought it off eBay for $440 with a bad tranny.
I replaced the 4L80E with a newer model. (the 99+ model 4L80E rocks!)
I also replaced the water pump, alternator and both batteries.
This van is my DD and has ~210K miles on the clock.
I use it tow, haul and carry anything that I can fit in the back and that a 1 ton van will carry.
Low on power?
I dunno think so....it moves my 9700# GVW van around rather smartly (empty of course)
It rides like a tractor and with zero interior, it's loud like a huge steel box on 4 wheels.
When I get one of my FSJ projects back on the road, I'll demote it back to a parts hauler.
Until then, this high mileage 6.2 will continue serve me well.

bigswin

I've only had mine for 2 weeks but it has 72k on it. Very little rust, only a few spots on the corners. Put in two new batteries, changed all of the fluids and it's running great. I read on some of the other chevy forums alot of guys ripping on the 6.2 and saying it was a P.O.S. For what I need it for, basically minor offroading on our farm and putting around town, it's perfect.

fitz

These are the responses I was looking for.
I just got my M1028 with 47K on it at a dealers only auction for $1500.
I have to admit I didn't do any research on it until after I bought it and found this site, which has been very helpful (a big thanks too all of you).
I've been playing around with these trucks for years, although it's always been the civy models. My current ride is an 81 4x4 stepside with a 8' bed and a 400 TPI motor in it.
When I found this M1028 I had about 2 minutes to check it out before it hit the auction block. Like I mentioned, I didn't know much about these military trucks.
I just checked to make sure it had a Dana 60 and gave the body a quick once over. I figured if worse came to worse I could part it out and recover my money. It wasn't until a few minutes after I bought it that I got the paperwork on it (quite a difference then the GL stories I'm reading about).
It came with the paperwork from the government showing it was the real deal with 47K on it.
This thing runs and drives great. Luckily I get to park it inside at night but I'm tempted to leave it out one night just to see how it does starting in the cold
(About 20 degrees at night).
Thanks for the replies, I'd love to hear more.

Attachments

Last edited:

ETBaals

Hi
I may win the miliage contest, M1009 has 480,000 milea on it
I can verify this from the local tire shop i get my tires from, I would get about 60.000 miles out of a set of bfgoodrich ats.
I bought the truck , , in 1992, it had 42,000 miles on it, It was supposed to be a toy. but a devorce made it my work truck until 2000. I was working constuction in Acme supper markets in NJ, Del, Maryland and eastern PA and did a lot of driving.
The tranny went at about 250,000 the rear at 400,000. i had to put 2 injection pumps in it, with injectors, a water pump, 2 starters, lots of started bolts, a rear drive shaft, exhaust system, and more alternators that i want to think about.
It sill runs, does not smoke that bad, but the body is getting bad.

here is a picture of it .

Ernie
Ernie

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks