• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone put a travel trailer on a Deuce or 5 ton?

markmontana

My idea is to remove the cargo bed and mount a travel trailer directly to the frame rails. Has anyone done this or pursued the idea?

Picture #1 is similar to my idea. Of course I would not go so far behind the rear axle. Maybe a 14' trailer. But this idea is really making my leg twitch…

Pic #2- A toy hauler might be cool, but would be hard to find one for cheapo. They do have the 'Industrial' look. But there are lots of travel trailers out there for under 1k that would paint up nicely.

I've seen some campers that are slid onto the bed- and that is a possibility- but for now I would like to hear what you think about a self contained trailer on the frame.

Link to full size pic: Trucks :: IMG_1162.jpg picture by davev_photobucket - Photobucket

Attachments

100dollarman

Thought about it many times, but never have done it.

Advantage is all facilities are already built in! Would not be too difficult to mount either.

The thing keeping me from doing it so far, is no AC in the cab.... thinking...

Sephirothq

If you are going to take it off roading i could see where the frame would twist and flex and the travel trailer might not be able to do it as well.

It could work fine or be a mess

markmontana

Yes, that has been done. The camper on the MB 1017 is/was a Hi-Lo trailer that Bill Caid mounted on his military truck. Works great, and has AC! (the camper on the red truck was not a trailer, just a slide-in camper and no AC).
Very cool- thanks!
Here's my rendition... sorry, not photoshop qualified

Attachments

Last edited:

phil2968

If you are going to take it off roading i could see where the frame would twist and flex and the travel trailer might not be able to do it as well.

It could work fine or be a mess
Look at the mounting for the M109 box. That box won't flex. To overcome this the box is spring mounted to the frame from the front to the rear. The very last mount is solid. Flex the truck and the frame is allowed to flex while still keeping the box attached to the truck. Something to look into.

markmontana

Look at the mounting for the M109 box. That box won't flex. To overcome this the box is spring mounted to the frame from the front to the rear. The very last mount is solid. Flex the truck and the frame is allowed to flex while still keeping the box attached to the truck. Something to look into.
Right. I looked at the frame of a travel trailer, and they are way smaller than any 2.5 or 5ton. Some flex is built in to trailers, but not enough to be a problem.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not simply load a camper into the cargo bed?.

markmontana

DH- that is a possibility. And I like the campers I have seen. And they can be had CHEAP around here.

But there is a lot more room in the trailers and I could dedicate a truck to it, so the bed and it's weight could go. Also, the holding tanks, drains, etc etc seem to be suited to the "bedless" truck frame set up. Thinking ROOMY.

PsycoBob

For A/C in the cab, try a genset that'll work while driving & a large portable A/C unit. I've considered planting one above the transmission tunnel in my M109, with the hot-air vent run right out the back of the cab.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a S280. That way it could be removed to allow use of the truck bed.

goldneagle

For A/C I like the ductless units they advertise on TV for the home. It has a small condenser outside and a baseboard type coil inside. SOme are even available as heat pumps. and 2 separate outputs. That type would serve to cool the cab and the M109 box.

3dAngus

You would also cut off the storage compartments located at the bottom of most campers.
Gotta have access to those. A dropside would work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks