• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone titled/registered a truck through the mail, in TX?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm potentially looking at relocating to TX.

I'm looking at titling a vehicle, and placing it in a trust.

I don't wanna pay tax/title here, just to turn around a couple months later and pay it again in TX.

Before I moved to WA I was able to title and register my vehicle in WA, despite being in the OTHER Washington, 3k miles away, via mail.

It would make more sense to put the vehicle in the trust, then title/register it in TX.

Exempt from inspection - FMV
Exempt from insurance, but I will have it anyway.

Has anyone done that through the mail, for TX?

Would it be cheaper/easier to fly in and do it at an office? Find someone trustworthy and do a limited power of attorney?

Barrman

Very interesting form. I did something similar to what you are wanting to do with a non running out of state registered vehicle when I first wanted to register it in Texas. I had a friendly police officer verify the VIN for me. (It was before the form you linked to was created.)

So, yes you could do the entire process without the vehicles here if you are going to tag them as former military vehicles or antiques. The next problem in my mind is where are you going to mail the forms? Texas has no income tax. Just property and sales tax. So, each county has their own tax office which collects the property tax and handles the DMV taxes for that county.

I would suggest you call the local tax office for the county you are going to and see if you get someone semi intelligent on the phone. Depending on the county you might have the choice of several offices to call and try to find a person with knowledge and the ability to do what you want done. Just be aware that smaller population counties have a single office normally and sometimes 2-4 workers total. So, don't spoil the nest on the first call if it can be avoided.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may inquire about “title only” and then register later when you and the truck are in TX.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contacted a tax office. Seems like I just need to mail in the forms, and they'll call me with how much I owe them, and they'll mail me the documents back.

My mailing address can be where I'm at, but I need a TX address on record.

Should just be sales tax, right? No yearly personal property tax like in VA?

Barrman

Tax, title and license. 6.25% of what they think it is worth as sales tax then a few more things. You should be done for an amount in the low hundreds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks