• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Use Inline Tube Brake Line Kit?

chevymike

Hi all,

I was looking at my hard lines on the M1010 and they likely need to be replaced when I refresh the brake system. I see that Inline Tube has a full stainless steel kit and curious if anyone has used this.

Thanks

ehuppert

No experience with that particular kit, but plenty of experience at work with kits in general. Usually they don't fit well and you end up rebending and or fighting with them. Stainless comes in all different "flavors"! I've replaced stainless lines and stainless exhaust that didn't last as advertised (of course they always have a "lifetime" warranty)!

My advice, replace with Nicopp line and good fittings. Nicopp runs apx $2 a ft and can be bought in 25 ft rolls or straight sections. Normally like as few splices as possible, so generally prefer the rolls! Flare kits inexpensive and easy to do, and nicopp is easy to bend. Have it in service for over 10 years on customers vehicles. Gets a little green surface corrosion on it over time, but no cause for concern. Replace the rubber hoses also while you're at it!

With that said, think i used a kit from them for fuel lines in a newer fuel injected vehicle and it was well made.... Little more complicted fitting wise, hence not worth fabricating

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called Inline tube to purchase brake lines and they flat out told me "They did not make any brake parts for any vehicle over 3/4 ton". I asked them if they could cross reference a Chevy P/N to Inline part number, and again the answer was no. "They have no way to look up a mfg P/N to see if they make a replacement."
That phone call took about 34.9 seconds.

chevymike

No experience with that particular kit, but plenty of experience at work with kits in general. Usually they don't fit well and you end up rebending and or fighting with them. Stainless comes in all different "flavors"! I've replaced stainless lines and stainless exhaust that didn't last as advertised (of course they always have a "lifetime" warranty)!

My advice, replace with Nicopp line and good fittings. Nicopp runs apx $2 a ft and can be bought in 25 ft rolls or straight sections. Normally like as few splices as possible, so generally prefer the rolls! Flare kits inexpensive and easy to do, and nicopp is easy to bend. Have it in service for over 10 years on customers vehicles. Gets a little green surface corrosion on it over time, but no cause for concern. Replace the rubber hoses also while you're at it!

With that said, think i used a kit from them for fuel lines in a newer fuel injected vehicle and it was well made.... Little more complicted fitting wise, hence not worth fabricating
Yeah, I normally do make my own and the last few vehicles I have been using Nicopp line, which is AWESOME! In all the vehicles I have built over the years, I have done 150+ flares. I have it down to a science. LOL I was just trying to save some time. I am planning to replace the soft lines as well. Full system overhaul.

chevymike

I called Inline tube to purchase brake lines and they flat out told me "They did not make any brake parts for any vehicle over 3/4 ton". I asked them if they could cross reference a Chevy P/N to Inline part number, and again the answer was no. "They have no way to look up a mfg P/N to see if they make a replacement."
That phone call took about 34.9 seconds.
Interesting since the item I posted up is specifically their kit for a '81-'84 K30, 1ton, standard cab, long bed, single rear wheel. They listed for dually and crew cab models as well, all for 1 ton. When did you talk to them last? Maybe something they have added since then.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would have been in the last 2 years. So things may have changed. But it was surprising that they do not have a cross reference for OEM numbers.
It looks like they may have added many items since then.

cucvrus

IMHO unless you are going to take the vehicle down to the bare frame you may as well just make your own brake lines and install them. I see brand new lines and new fancy parts on rusty frames and think. This person could have done better and spent wiser money on other things. Bending brake lines and double flaring is childs play. I currently have a blown out brake line on the M1028. It is the 1/4" line that runs front to back. It rusted thru at a clamp under the cab. Pulling tree stumps out with it and got the strap tight and hit the brakes hard and that was it. Oh well I still have the front brakes. Someday I will fix it. I have till 1/21 when inspection is due. My schedule at the moment is crazy. Take Care. Good Luck.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
Thanks for bringing up the question on Inline Tube. I forgot all about them.
I have seen good reviews from users of their products.

I will have another CUCV rebuild coming up soon, so I will revisit the web site and see what they may have available for my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks