• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Appropriate trailer to tow behind an M1008 and fair price to purchase

Blastercanon1

Iam in the market for a military trailer, and while doing so I realized I have found myself in the middle of knowing a decent amount about these trailers now but no idea where to go as far as what is the best choice in all your eyes. I started out looking for m105s but I've read that some say they are too big for a M1008. Figure that may be my answer but they are so many more available in my aera but then I discovered the m101 series so I figured why not look around for those, but come to find out that there are some m101 trailers have the 6 lug wheels with bias plys and others with the 8x6.5 axels, although it would be nice to have wheels that are the same bolt pattern as the M1008 I do not really know if its necessary.

This leads me to my next question is what is a fair asking price for say a m105 and or a m101, I ask only because there is one up the road from me sitting on someone's property and it appears to have the 6 lug wheels. I am not sure of if its an m105 or a m101 and with that in mind what would be a fair asking price for one of these trailers, I plan to go and knock on the guys door this weekend and wanted to make sure that I do not offend the guy with whatever offer I would come up with, but if he is not willing to part with it looking elsewhere what's a fair buy price for these trailers. Found an 8 lug m101a2 but its quite a distance from me so I was thinking maybe it would be worth it but I do not really know what to look for on these trailers or what makes them more valuable than other ones.

Some more info on the two I am looking at, I found a m101a2 and they are asking 2k for it, this is equipped with the bows and canvas cover and has 8x6.5 lug pattern axel. The one that is down my street appears to be 6 lug from a distance like a stated up above and am not sure of the status of an older m101 or the m105, this one also has the cargo cover and the bows that go with it, price unknown. I would like the 8x6.5 one but its also about 3 hours away from me, should I worry about the lug pattern on the trailer axel or possibly if I can get the 6 lug one down the street for a good price would it be worth it to convert to the 8 lug axel and how about the availability of tires once they need replacing.

thank you in advance for all your help and incite to all this

Jeepadict

My vote is for the M101A2...or even better a 101A3 without the Humvee wheels & tires (get a set that match your truck). Given your choice of tow vehicle, the A2 was specifically intended to go behind that truck and they make a great pair...tho the A3 can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the wheelwells with the tailgate closed which is what makes them soo desirable. If you can land a nice unmolested A2/A3 for $2500-3000 with sides/bows/canvas, take it and consider it a massive win! It took me over a year to find a respectable 101A3 for my deeds. Completely disregard any trailer other than the 101A2/A3. Happy hunting!

I attached a pic for refrence for how the A3s ride with pickup wheels & tires. This is my 78 K25 (which is the civy equivalent to the 1008) with a rear bumper from a 1008 towing an unmolested M116A3 (which shares the same chassis as the 101A3). Note both units sport the same GM factory wheels and tires and the trailer rides as it should.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blastercanon1

My vote is for the M101A2...or even better a 101A3 without the Humvee wheels & tires (get a set that match your truck). Given your choice of tow vehicle, the A2 was specifically intended to go behind that truck and they make a great pair...tho the A3 can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the wheelwells with the tailgate closed which is what makes them soo desirable. If you can land a nice unmolested A2/A3 for $2500-3000 with sides/bows/canvas, take it and consider it a massive win! It took me over a year to find a respectable 101A3 for my deeds. Completely disregard any trailer other than the 101A2/A3. Happy hunting!

I attached a pic for refrence for how the A3s ride with pickup wheels & tires. This is my 78 K25 (which is the civy equivalent to the 1008 with a rear bumper from a 1008 towing an unmolested M116A3 (which shares the same chassis as the 101A3). Note both units sport the same GM factory wheels and tires and the trailer rides as it should.
So with this I think its pretty obvious I want the same lug pattern as the pickup because that rig looks so nice with the matching trailer wheels, good to hear it does not affect the ride quality. especially if the A2 variants where designed for this model of truck and it will be era appropriate at the very least

Jeepadict

So with this I think its pretty obvious I want the same lug pattern as the pickup because that rig looks so nice with the matching trailer wheels, good to hear it does not affect the ride quality. especially if the A2 variants where designed for this model of truck and it will be era appropriate at the very least
The differences between the A2 and A3 are minimal that I'm aware of: high-clearance axle (which is a touch wider to match the track width of the Humvee), brake cables, and fender spacing. Everything else is the same AFAIK, and you really can't tell the difference from a distance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105 trailers are great. But you don't want one. The intended tow vehicle is an air braked M35A2 that weighs 14k empty. The M105 has air brakes and weighs almost 3k empty. I tow them behind civvy vehicles, but you really don't want to.

The Jeep crowd drives up prices on the M101 trailers. You pay a lot for what you get. If width is a consideration, then these are what you want.

The M1101/1102 are my first choice for towing behind a pickup truck. Surge brakes, 8 lug wheels. The anticipated tow vehicle is a HMMWV. They weigh about 1500lbs empty and it's very difficult to put more weight in them than they'll easily handle.

M105's are less expensive than the others. Call it $500-2700 for a price range.

M101 is going to be $1500-$3k

M1101s have gone as low as about $1k at auction recently as well as over $3k.

M105 pictured behind my lifted 1ton dually on 34's.

M1101 pictured behind my stock M998 on 37's.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sold my last 101A2 with fiberglass bows and cover and front and back doors with an MRAP toolbox on the front for $2,200. It looked nice behind the Lexus SUV that toweed it away.

For a 1008 I would want the M101A2 because they have the same wheel lub pattern. The main difference that I can tell on the 101A2/A3 is the distance between the wheelwells. You can put a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in an A3. Not in an A2.

Nice towing trailers and I have made several trips to rallies in my old one. Now I have an M1102.

Reactions: 98G

Jeepadict

I just sold my last 101A2 with fiberglass bows and cover and front and back doors with an MRAP toolbox on the front for $2,200. It looked nice behind the Lexus SUV that toweed it away.

For a 1008 I would want the M101A2 because they have the same wheel lub pattern. The main difference that I can tell on the 101A2/A3 is the distance between the wheelwells. You can put a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in an A3. Not in an A2.

Nice towing trailers and I have made several trips to rallies in my old one. Now I have an M1102.
Do you have any pics of the mounted toolbox? I have a genset tool box on my 116A3 and 101A3, always looking for new/better ideas.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the M101A2/3.
Spend the $$$ for initial maintenance.
Bearings
Surge brake shock
Brakes

It will provide you with years of trouble free use.
These are great trailers and built like tanks.

M105 is a completely different beast.