• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

arctic coolant heater

jwaller

thought I'd show some of you guys what I'm up to now.

you can see the arctic battery box, control box in cab and the heater itself mounted under the cab next to the new fuel panel.

The kit I'm using was meant for the 5T trucks so it will also have a coolant circulation pump and will run hot water thru a plate under the batteries inside the cab and then into the motor to warm it. the exhaust from the heater gets routed to a shroud that goes around the oil pan to warm the oil.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Outstanding! I've been looking at doing that on my M109A3 as well. I remember seeing this kit offered on ebay by a guy name foxhole something. Where did you find this kit?

jwaller

Outstanding! I've been looking at doing that on my M109A3 as well. I remember seeing this kit offered on ebay by a guy name foxhole something. Where did you find this kit?

thats where I got it, actually all of the ones he put up, I bought. one for the deuce and one for the 5T.

jwaller

LOL, I wasn't bidding against you those:) Oh thanks for that tranny hoist!!! Luckily I have no use for it. Just good insurance to have around:)
thats cool. I bought that hoist from a member on here and kept it for a few yrs and never used it, kinda wish I had just to say I'd done it. enjoy it. :)

eagle4g63

Old post....BUT I can add:

I love mine, I have it on my deuce. The only concern is that you need to make sure you have GOOD batteries if you use this to pre-warm up the truck......one morning I started the heater and warmed everything up and went to start the truck(only after 5-10 minutes) and the batteries were just low enough to not turn over the motor fast enough to start:evil:...had to pull out the jump box!!

Kohburn

awesome - my only question is.. can it run on WMO? or is it basically a military version of a wabesto?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old post....BUT I can add:

I love mine, I have it on my deuce. The only concern is that you need to make sure you have GOOD batteries if you use this to pre-warm up the truck......one morning I started the heater and warmed everything up and went to start the truck(only after 5-10 minutes) and the batteries were just low enough to not turn over the motor fast enough to start:evil:...had to pull out the jump box!!
Yep, add an extra set of batteries (I did) so this won't happen. Lead acids don't like to be discharged and is best used for starting only. Multiple discharge cycles will reduce the reserve capacity drastically.
The "house" batteries as they are called by boating people, should be of the deep cycle kind.

jwaller

I've run my cab heater for as much as 30 min without having any affect on cranking amps. I have wondered how long both can be run before it would have an affect. It all depends on the outside temps I guess.

eagle4g63

I think my batteries are just old....I'm going to replace them this year.

Need to make room for 3 batteries in the arctic box-2 for the 24 volt system and 1 for the new 12 volt system!!

Also yes these things are suppose to run on diesel not wmo.....that is why I added an auxiliary tank.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks