• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are Runflats worth trying to save???

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some 395's that have runflats in them and was wondering if there is a market for them or should I just cut them to get them out? They need to come out because there is a lot of crud in the tire and it is too hard to clean with the runflat in it. Otherwise I am trying to come up with a good way to remove them with the tools/equipment I have. My engine hoist is not wide enough at the legs to straddle the tire and with the bobcat forks on top it just lifts the bobcat. I don't think I should have to get the 816 involved but I will if I have to :grin:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I don't tink they are worth a dime. About the only thing they are good for is if you have to get out of somewhere fast with a flat tire. Unless you plan on seeing combat with your truck, they aren't needed. If you do run your tire flat with a run-flat, the tire will be ruined in short order.

Run-flats have virtually no use in the civilain world. All they do is make it a pain in the rear to change tires.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they would be helpful if you got a flat to get to a good spot to change it, like off a major road. I don't think you would ruin your tire by driving on one at a slow speed, they have so much tire goop in them to keep them slippery that I think it would hold up just fine. I had to drive a truck a short distance with a flat that had a runflat in it and it keeps the rim off the tire. The tire had zero air pressure in it and it held up fine until I could get air in it.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I mean runflat, not just a beadlock. I've got a handful of 395's with them in it. I think they came off an aluminum 10 hole rim with a larger center than the regular 5 ton rim. And I believe the rim is hub centered not lug centered.

Maverick1701

Personally, I don't tink they are worth a dime. About the only thing they are good for is if you have to get out of somewhere fast with a flat tire. Unless you plan on seeing combat with your truck, they aren't needed. If you do run your tire flat with a run-flat, the tire will be ruined in short order.

Run-flats have virtually no use in the civilain world. All they do is make it a pain in the rear to change tires.
You never know when you may have to run from the cops haha

lol a "high speed" pursuit in the deuce... "With speeds topping 45mph!!!"

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that I gave up trying to get mine out in one piece. I ended up using a chainsaw from the inside of the run flat and a sawzall from the top side of the run flat and I cut them apart then pulled them out with a chain.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bringing this one back.

395 XZL date code 2011. Approx 9000miles on it.

This runflat held together for about 13miles at 20 to 25mph grossing 68,540. Blow out happened at 60. I did feel it though and heard it since i did not have my headphones on. Stayed well intact enough that it would roll well.

Passengers front tandem tire. No loss of control or handling problems. Unknown cause of the blowout but i had been off-road in rocks and sticks a few hours before.

Checked hub and axle temps once i got off the road and no overheating.

Resized_20170423_062826.jpegResized_20170423_061531.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

winfred

wow sounds like it did its job well at that weight, if it slimed the side of the truck up as the tire opened and it started loosing the lube i found its reasonably water soluble when i pressure washed it out of my new 395s

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
wow sounds like it did its job well at that weight, if it slimed the side of the truck up as the tire opened and it started loosing the lube i found its reasonably water soluble when i pressure washed it out of my new 395s
My truck sees 3500miles a week on average and a car wash or garden hose twice a year.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing this one back.

395 XZL date code 2011. Approx 9000miles on it.

This runflat held together for about 13miles at 20 to 25mph grossing 68,540. Blow out happened at 60. I did feel it though and heard it since i did not have my headphones on. Stayed well intact enough that it would roll well.

Passengers front tandem tire. No loss of control or handling problems. Unknown cause of the blowout but i had been off-road in rocks and sticks a few hours before.

Checked hub and axle temps once i got off the road and no overheating.

View attachment 676963View attachment 676964

Take this lesson from a guy who's had a steer tire blow out at 65 MPH. I drive a drayage rig around Memphis. Having a steer tire blow is bad news. If you don't want to keep the run flats in the rear, I don't see any problem with that, but KEEP them in the front!! When these military tires blow, without the runflat, they would drop anywhere from 10" to 16" depending on the tire. That's enough to cause you pull into the next lane, or even go off the road. The tire that blew out on me was a 42 inch tall tire mounted on a 22.5" rim. When it blew out it pulled me into the fast lane before I could even react. I was fully loaded with a 53ft. container loaded at the 80,000 lbs. gross limit. Luckily nobody was over there at the time. I was on the 240 South loop in Memphis. Now if the run flats seem to be convenient when you do have a flat, and it isn't that big of a pain to change wheel when needed. Why not leave them?

Jason Firm

Hello, Jason here from Sydney Australia. I am thinking of buying some 46" Michelin 395/85R20 on Hutchinson alloy rims for a Unimog to be converted to a camper. Most of the time on the highway, less time off road. Perhaps unfortunately they come with donut run-flats in them. I have no idea if run-flat inserts are legal here. But I do have concern about mass and I suspect no one here will ever have come across them. As I am a bit wary about them, I plan to remove them. I know that they need to be compressed using a ratchet clamp to get them out (just pulling them out could damage the bead). Has anyone tried to ratchet them up with a normal 2" wide truckies ratchet strap? or do I need to buy something special?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would say your best bet is to set a motor hoist on top of the tire, hook up around the run flat, lube everything, and pull run flat out.

Yes they make a tool to remove them(similar to your strap idea), but if you don't plan on re-using them, just yank them out and throw them away.

someoldmoose

Had two super single steer tire blow-outs (separate incidents) at highway speed. Can testify that run-flat inserts SHOULD be mandatory on steer tires of any size. For the Aussie whose post I saw, run-flat inserts are very popular "over there". Tyron is a well known brand available world wide.

If a tire "blows" at speed it's trash. The insert is there to keep YOU and your vehicle in one piece. They are not there to drive on like auto run-flat tires.

Jason Firm

Thanks for the advice Gents. I guess I can try a combination of compressing the run flats using a ratchet and also use the engine hoist to pull them gently out.

Hmmmmm, now I am confused as to whether I should leave them in or not? Sounds like there can be a safety benefit in having them but, fuel costs will add up over the years and acceleration may be reduced due to the mass. One writer even suggested that they will wear out the tyres from the inside very quickly (thats a worry when the tyre costs about $1800)? Do I need to regularly re grease them to stop them wreaking the tyres? Why would they even put grease in them unless they tend to rotate inside the tyre. If thats so, then they 'will' eventually wreck the tyre from the inside. Perhaps for the military its a trade off between shortened lifespan and extra safety that they can afford?. As a civilian, soon to retire, I wont be able to afford a second set of tyres. As I will be fitting pressure and temperature monitors and driving within the G speed rating, hopefully I wont get a blow out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks