• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

At the end of a long trip, the truck breaks down as I pull into the driveway.... Wow

Loco_Hosa

I drive my Deuce on long trips more than just around town. I drove it back to Tacoma from Riverside Ca a bit over a month ago, and I have since driven it down to Portland twice. Apart from an Axle shaft that started to leak and these old bulbs burning out every time I look at the truck (Just the ones I have not replaced already), and having to change the fuel filters before leaving Cali, she has been very problem free.

Since getting home I have been running a lot of WMO through the truck, filtered down to 2 microns and run through a Goldenrod waterblock filter the truck has been running great! This makes it cheaper to take than my C20 on my regular trips to and from Portland, so I yesterday was the second time I had made the trip in the Deuce.

I checked it over, brought tools, and rolled out doing 45-50 the entire way. Shut off the engine in Portland, and then shut it off again about 30 miles back into Wa.

When I pulled up to my house I down shifted into low range and went for second, and instead got fifth (I had been driving for 7 hours, dont judge) and killed the engine. Oddly, it didnt want to start back up. I assumed the truck was mad at me for missing my shift and was being stubborn. After about 10 mins of fiddling I just left it in the front yard, since I was tired I was not in the mood for Crushinator's games. I assumed she would fire up after she got cooled down a bit.

Today I went out to fiddle with the truck, brought a drip tray and opened the primary fuel filter's petcock, then turned the fuel on. Nothing. Because my hearing is jacked I grabbed someone else to try and listen for the fuel pump, and neither of us heard anything.

From what I understand now, after doing some reading, it may have failed before I even left for Portland, and I didnt know it. (I checked the leads with a test light, the pump does have power) I cant help but think of how badly it would have sucked to break down 100+ miles from home! I will be saying my thank you prayers as I do some searches tonight, and hopefully I will have the truck fixed up by this upcoming weekend.

ARYankee

Sounds like the pump fuse may have blown....

Where did you get the Goldenrod waterblock filter? Does it do a good job with any water in the WMO?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dodge 2500 with a Cummins blew the water pump coming into the drive one day, and another I blew a brake line going out. If ya gotta break down, there's no place like home!

Loco_Hosa

Glad you and the Deuce made it home safely. How far are you form Everett?
Im not far from Everette, and I make semi regular trips to Everette, one of my good friends lives there and I have a source for WMO there. I think Im about 50-70 miles?

Sounds like the pump fuse may have blown....

Where did you get the Goldenrod waterblock filter? Does it do a good job with any water in the WMO?
Does the pump have a built in fuse? I tested at the connection and I have positive and ground....

There is a local place called Williams Oil Filter Co in tacoma that sold me all my filters. From what I understand the Goldenrod can only absorb 1 cup of immersed water, once saturated it will slow the flow significently and you have to change the filter. If the water is in the barrel but NOT immersed, then you just open the petcock and it will drain right out.

I like the clear housing, but the oil I have been getting has been so far completely water free, so the Goldenrod has not had a chance to shine. Its cheaper than the Racore, and as far as I know it works just as well. :) I would definitely recommend it.

You can order it online also, though its a bit more than I paid. -Link- And here is a thread that discusses it in more detail. THREAD

Wow, I will just say this. Someone is watching over you my friend.
I completely agree, I think that checking to make sure that the electronic pump is pumping should be part of ANYONE'S check list before shutting off the truck when away from home. This could have been a grade A disaster. Trust me, I said my thank you prayers that night :)

Yea if theres no sounds get a fuse and put it in. you may get power but the fuse may stop it? dunno i suck with elec stuff
I am pretty good with electrical, but as I said, I do not know if the pump has an internal fuse or not. If it does, then your post is completely correct. I have to admit I have not found the fuse block yet.

Otherwise, IF the truck used negative fuses, on the ground side, and IF I tested the positive lead and ground it to the battery then this could also be true. However, I put my test light to the two prongs that plug into the pump and had both positive and ground, indicated by the light coming on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to do some searching now, find where to order the pump, and I need to take it all apart. Ill most likely service the fuel filters while I am at it.

I have heard that a lot of ya'll are switching to an external fuel pump, but I would think that this would not do as well with the thick WMO. I am considering however putting one on as a fail-safe. If the primary pump fails, then the in-line can prime the system enough that you can start the truck.

kurtkds

There is a fuse under a cap on top of the fuel pump housing.

BTW, My wife took a picture of your truck yesterday sitting out front with the Papa John's sign on the hood. lol

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

I LOVE this forum. I was about to order a new pump, I cannot wait till tomorrow so I can yank the fuse and inspect it.

Thanks ya'll

goldwing2000

Banned
The original fuse is a 2A slow-blow. I didn't feel like finding and buying a box of them (the nearest Radio Shack is 45 mins away) so I just stuck a 5A fast-acting fuse in mine. It's been working fine.

F18hornetM

for what its worth, Often on diesel engines, the transfer pump fails, the injector pump will pull enough fuel to keep it running , especially at higher rpms, but when you shut down or slow down its all over. Not sure if thats the case on the duece, but it is with other diesels, Glad it quit in your yard.

Loco_Hosa

Well, got off work at 2am, and was so excited to that I just parked the chevy so that the headlights shone onto the fuel tank of the deuce and carefully removed the top of the fuel pump. I had to be very careful because I was still in work clothing, which is tan colored pants.

Not even Chuck Norris could run WMO without making a mess, so I had to only allow one hand to touch any part of the truck.

Sadly I didnt find good news. The fuse looks intact, but there is a some rust and corrosion inside the housing, without test lighting it tomorrow its hard to say power is making it through. I couldnt remove the fuse with my hands.

Well, I was very hopeful for about 7 hours, :p

Loco_Hosa

As it turns out this fuse was blown (Or just corroded inside to the point of not functioning) despite not looking blown. I have never seen rust inside a glass tube fuse before!

When I bridged it with a length of wire the pump came alive and were back in buisness!

Two things still on my mind though. When I went to radio shack with the old one they gave a 250v2as, but the truck is obviously not 250v, so I am guessing this goes to where my knowledge is lacking. Just want to be sure that I am not going to allow things to melt and be destroyed.

The other thing on my mind is how many old bulbs Ive gone through and now this fuse... I am wondering if its that these parts just do not age gracefully, or if my alternator/generator is not being correctly regulated. (The gauge always reads a bit high)

All in all, the truck is back!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks