• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aussie goat needs new shoes

Aussiecowboy

As my goat edges closer to being road ready, I think the only thing that will make me fail my inspection is the age cracks in the tires. So I need 6 good ones, can anyone help? With the price of shipping to Aus they really need to be in excellent condition, also need to be able to get them to California.

If anyone can help I'll send you a free Koala.

JR Scout

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, and ended up biting the bullet and getting new DUKW tires from Coker in Chattanooga TN. There were a few threads on the topic at the time, but I think a lot of that information had a finite shelf life.

Jericho

Look under Coker Tire , They aren't always in stock as far as I know they produce them periodicly when their production run is sold and enough interest is there to run more There are other commercial tires that fit , but they wont be GI style , A western Canadian gent listed some on the inter net a few years ago U tube site was under "Goat leaving west side "

JR Scout

Agree-I don't really have any other point of reference since I put these on as soon as I got it, as part of a larger restoration. I did have to fiddle around with the PSI a little.

Look under Coker Tire , They aren't always in stock as far as I know they produce them periodicly when their production run is sold and enough interest is there to run more There are other commercial tires that fit , but they wont be GI style , A western Canadian gent listed some on the inter net a few years ago U tube site was under "Goat leaving west side "
If it's the one I recall that was a fairly heavily modified machine, including a disc conversion with willwood rotors, those tyres were much wider than would fit on a normal Goat. Although it was a good looking piece of kit.

From memory there was a discussion on maple leaf up or similar about the DUKW tyres and yes they were 0 flex on lighter rigs... There was a British truck that also used the 11R18's they were trying them on, which I think a couple of examples are in Oz, but the board with the local detail is since gone I fear.

Only other option I've seen is Double Star out of China, DS315, haven't chased to hard on a supplier yet though and no idea on the ply rating.

Jericho

Yes it was, Their shop was very uncooperative, When I asked for tire sources and a lead on the kit they used to do the brake conversion they refused to answer any questions, Said it was all very complex, average guy wouldn't understand. That's usually very expensive shop tech speak for , We really don't even know how we managed to cobble it together. Oh a brit truck , A Bedford or a Saladin come to mind, will have to look

There was another one with a V8 conversion done by Werner Meisterburg (sp?) that had modern tires fitted.... Found some dodgy pics and can't read the side wall too well but they look like Pro Comp XTreme's.
Diameter looks right, but they seem a bit fatter... Will make slow speed steering harder if they are and may foul on the front.

Aussiecowboy

Sidewalls are the bad part, treads are actually ok, just age cracking on sides. The double coins look ok, not a bad tread pattern but look like they'll be lots of ply. I want to steer away from the pro comps etc. if I can, expensive, loud and a short lifespan. Would make it a weapon offroad though.

JR Scout

Did you ever find any shoes for your Goat? I've been eyeing the Corker tires myself but haven't seen any reviews on them.
I got a set of the DUKWs a few years ago. They've done fine as far as I know, but then again, the Cokers are the only tires I've ever driven it with, so I don't have much to cross reference, and I haven't put many miles on them. I have a vague recollection of having to experiment with liners/tubes/PSI to really get them where they needed to be.

78FordF150

I got a set of the DUKWs a few years ago. They've done fine as far as I know, but then again, the Cokers are the only tires I've ever driven it with, so I don't have much to cross reference, and I haven't put many miles on them. I have a vague recollection of having to experiment with liners/tubes/PSI to really get them where they needed to be.
I have Goat tires on my M715 and really like the way it looks and drives now. But I didn't want to shell out 1600 bucks for tires if it was going to make it ride like a buckboard.

Does a guy need to run flaps and tubes with the goat wheels? I was thinking they are tubeless.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JR Scout

I have Goat tires on my M715 and really like the way it looks and drives now. But I didn't want to shell out 1600 bucks for tires if it was going to make it ride like a buckboard.

Does a guy need to run flaps and tubes with the goat wheels? I was thinking they are tubeless.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
If I remember right, the Coker DUKW tires are recommended with tubes, but the tire shop couldn't make that work, so we went tubeless and without flaps. It has worked OK, but again, they have had minimal use in the 4-5 years they have been on. The valve stems stick out real far, almost like it was meant for a backside dual mount that accesses through the handhold. The PSI it took to get them to seat and have a mostly straight sidewall was around 50, versus the 20-22 on the originals.
They seem to provide pretty good flotation off road, and any sensation of roughness onroad is overwhelmed by the engine noise. You might check over at G.503 and look at some threads there. Coker apparently had some issues with aged tubes for the DUKWs, and that seemed to ring a bell when I read it.

I’m still looking for tires, the Coker tires are tempting but I can’t justify the cost.
I've found two tread patterns to match size out of China, hooked up on Alibaba to get quotes, but they never seem to come back for low volume... Estimated quotes FOB start around the mid hundred with a minimum 20 order.

In terms of load rating, they're about twice what we need, but still lighter than the Coker's.

I've also contacted the DUKW tour mob in Kuranda (tried to by email) to see how they source their tyres, no feedback yet, thinking a phone call is in order.

Also, think from memory, that the UK truck I was thinking of with 11R18's is the Marmot Herrington, with a matching gun limber if I'm not completely delerious... A pity the MVCA site is lost, was some good tit bits on there like that.

Aussiecowboy

Minimum order of 20, we could almost do that between us at that price, I also know three other goat owners I could try and sell a set to. Got links?

I know there was a bloke in qld that was having moulds made to produce 10.50r18s as a last resort.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks