• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axel Vent Mod, 2.5 ton Rockwells

Stagg

I just got done replacing my axle vents with rubber lines. Next step is to check and repack bearing that have been washed out by 90w gear oil.

Anyway, I took some pictures along the way and the mod was "easy" to do if you are small enough to sit under the truck and wiggle in around the rear axles/braces.

Starting with the rears, I removed the old one way axle vents. (I found they stick shut beyond the rated 2psi) In their place I installed a 90 degree hose barb. Then I ran 3/8 in. hose from the barbs up towards the front. I ran the new hoses alone the brake lines with zip-ties. Figuring that those lines have to flex with the axles and truck and therefore represent the proper amount of slack. Had to use a tee to match the brake lines in the rear.

Then I did the same with the front axle: 90 degree barb, ran the hose along the brake line and along the frame.

Then I used a second barbed tee and connected the rear hose with the front. From that tee I followed the brake breather vent up the firewall.
Currently the new axle breather vent is just zip-tied to the brake vent, someday I would like to convert it over to copper line.... or continue it on up and into a snorkel :p to go along with my fording goodies.

So here are the pictures see if you can figure out what I'm babbling about.

PS. I can't think of a problem with this type setup, but these trucks can sneak up on you with funny quirks. Is there anything I should watch out for? I assume (after a bit of researching) that little gear oil will be forced up those tubes. Right?

Attachments

Stagg

If I end up really liking this setup, then I'll have to get back under there and add real hose clamps. For now I am avoiding drilling new holes in my truck for a system that I may not be totally in love with.... But my truck inspector like it, right before he fell asleep!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Funny, I just ordered my hose barbs last week. I didn't find 90* barbs either, mine are straight. I planned on following the brake lines too.

Stagg

My local Ace Hardware had them. I never knew until yesterday when I need just one more hose clamp. Had to modify my whole plan:-D for the better, otherwise there is a funny loop in the line somewhere.

But that is why I was wondering if gear oil might get pushed up the lines, and then just stay there.
I guess I could just keep adding oil.

Flyingvan911

Hi Stagg. I've read about that kind of mod and have been thinking about doing something similar. The DLA is waiting for the demil paperwork for my deuce. I would recommend some type of filter to keep dirt and dust out of the lines and therefor, the axles. Small amounts of dirt can cause big problems in the long run.

Flyingvan911

You shouldn't have trouble with the oil running up the lines. With the lines leaving the axles at an incline, any oil that might splash up will run back down.

Stagg

Yep, I should probably have some sort of filter on my brake line too.
I just haven't found anything that jumped off the shelf at me. I'm seriously thinking about starting a fording kit mod, thingy, and routing those two first, and then tackling the rest of it.

Flyingvan911

I'm just trying to ford the mess of the EUC waiting game. :deadhorse: It will also be a good idea to put the open end of the hoses where no water can drip or splash in. Maybe stretch a balloon over the end if the hoses temporarily. If you use a zip tie to hold the balloon against both hoses there will still be enought airspace for pressure to move in and out.

ARYankee

I did this same Mod about 3 weeks ago. I got all my parts from Lowe's. I too need to put a filter on the end. I'm going to try Mr. Dirt's suggestion and see how it works. I'll have to take some pictures and add them to the thread whenever I find our camera that my 2 year old daughter got a hold of and hid.

800summit

I ran the clear hose using the barb, ran it up from the axle to the frame and looped it down for going through deep water, that way the water will catch in the loop and not get into the axle. also can visually see if anything is hanging in the loop that needs to be emptied.

RAYZER

I did the same to my deuce, I ran the main hose to a barb which I threaded into the top of the air filter canister(outboard of the Air filter) also ran hose from trans,trans case and bellhousing all teed in to main hose, don't forget trans and trans case have vents also.

jaxsof

Just a thought, after your lines turn up in the engine compartment, install some sort of cath-can/filter thing, then run the lines to engine filtered air pipe, kinda like a car does with PCV.

Just a thought

800summit

I went straight up to the frame and looped the hose down. the clear plastic tubing will alow you to see what is going on. Ran this set up through 4' water and 800 miles, no visable pooling in the line

Rene M

I went straight up to the frame and looped the hose down. the clear plastic tubing will allow you to see what is going on. Ran this set up through 4' water and 800 miles, no visible pooling in the line
Good thinking on the see though line.
Its so humid down here we have pooling problems which leads to rust " and sweat' lol

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time you try one of these modifications, consider using DOT plastic air brake tubing. It and the special compression fittings for it, are avaliable at your local "heavy truck" store. The stuff comes in different sizes (3/8" most common), and will outlast that hose about 10 to 1. Its tougher too.

My old M211 came vented. It terminated on the firewall in a small vent/filter.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks