• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Help

K10A

Hi all, I just purchased a pair of the axles for these trucks for a project of mine and am wondering where to find a TM or walk through with pictures of servicing them ?
I am going to be upgrading / converting my 1969 F600 to 4wd using this front axle and deuce transfer case and wheels / tires is my plan so far.
It is an ex railroad truck with a dump bed, big PTO winch in the front of the bed and a HIAB 174 Knuckle Boom crane.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just making sure, “the early deuce” forum is for GMC G749 6x6 trucks, is that the running gear you have?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes those are GMC axles and no you cannot use a M35 transfer case, the transfer needs to have reverse rotation on the front output.

K10A

Yes those are GMC axles and no you cannot use a M35 transfer case, the transfer needs to have reverse rotation on the front output.
I am going to flip the center diff to take care of that issue. Low pinion works better for this application.
A guy did it on his F600 dump truck , video on YouTube. Wesley Johnson.
Does flipping the chunk fix the issue?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to flip the center diff to take care of that issue. Low pinion works better for this application.
A guy did it on his F600 dump truck , video on YouTube. Wesley Johnson.
Does flipping the chunk fix the issue?
Not my area of expertise. If, after flipping, both pinion flanges turn the same way to move the truck forward, you can use the M35 transfer.

K10A

I’m not sure. I don’t know how the sprague works. Probably air shift or a manual shift 223 like was originally in the 4x4 models.
can the air shift be converted to manual shift?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be TMs in the Duece TM section that covers them. Unless you have OBA, your only option is sprag. I hated the one that was in my s-box. I converted to air shift and never looked back. If you had 120PSI regulated air supply, like a tank, the air shift would work.

K10A

I’ve looked through the TMs 3 times and am not sure which one to look at. I don’t see much for this series of truck. I must be missing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks