• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle vent modification

big block 88

Our rockwells are torn down right now getting new seals the keyways fixed. I belive this all came from clogged vents. Has anyone modified there vent tubes? I was thinkin of removing the little cap on the axle and putting a hose on them and extending the hose upward toward the bed to help with water crossing. Has anyone done this yet? Info and pics would be great.

Keith_J

This is a great idea. Easily done with 1/4" polyethylene tube. Join all vents and route to the air cleaner. The breather caps are one-way valves which can cause a vacuum to form when a hot axle/transmission/transfer case cools down.

JAYHAWK 1962

I have seen this done. You can replace the vents with 1/4 npt i think threaded nipples. Attach hose to nipple end and run it to air cleaner housing this will work well with water crossings also. Pretty much seals up this system completely and keeps it unclogged andopen.

70deuce

Big bllock 88, do a search for "axle vents". Ther are a ton of old posts on different ways to vent the axles with 1/4" tubing and a variety of fittings. I have done that on two trucks including connecting the trans and transfer case to a single vent line terminating in the cab. seems to work good.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have done this to my M35. The one way vents never seem to seal. It really saves you some cash not having to change gear oil after fording. I ran the vents up to the air cleaner housing. Because i have the deep water fording kit so i wanted to be able to go deeper than the dash. It worked great just after hurricane ike. All the gear lube stayed water free. As for the wheel bearings i use boat trailer/ marine grease. but i still repack after fording.

Keith_J

The filter housing has minimal vacuum. As long as you keep your air filter clean, it isn't an issue. These filters are way over-sized.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old M211 & M135 were that way. They were built so that the vent tube and the hydralic brake hoses were routed togeather along the dogbone that attached to the top of the differential housing. That way, they were protected in a little metal trough fixed to the dogbone. Also important, it minimized movement of the hose. One should use a rubber type hose, so that it dopesn't get too stiff and break in winter driving.

roady

Here is what I have done with the help of this forum. I tied both of my rears, transfer case, and transmission together so far and will run them up to the air cleaner or firewall and cap it with some type of filter. I used the straight fittings in the axles and 90 degree connectors in the transfer case and transmission. I used the T's where the two axles come together and where the transfer case and transmission meet the main line that will be running up to the firewall. I used the white polyethylene tubing that you can kind of see through so that you can keep and eye on things. I got everything at Lowes and have included the links to them. I did cheat and do mine while the bed and cab is off though. Probably a little harder with everything in place but certainly doable. When I took out the factory breathers out more than one released air out as in the axles where holding pressure......

Shop Watts 1/4" x 1/8" Brass Coupling at Lowes.com

Shop Watts 1/4 x 1/8 Lead Free Brass Elbow with Insert at Lowes.com

Shop Watts 1/4" Lead Free Brass Tee with Insert at Lowes.com

Shop Watts 1/4" x 20' Polyethylene Tubing at Lowes.com

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All of my trucks I have the vent tubes ran to somewhere as least as high as the engine valve cover. My F-250 that goes offroad alot has the vent tube in the cab on my A pillar for both axles. So ill be drowning before water gets into it.

big block 88

All of my trucks I have the vent tubes ran to somewhere as least as high as the engine valve cover. My F-250 that goes offroad alot has the vent tube in the cab on my A pillar for both axles. So ill be drowning before water gets into it.

Whoa whoa whoa... You have a Ford that can go offroad??? I think this may deserve a thread on it's own.:mrgreen:

We went out and purchased some small diameter hose, we are going to try to get it all installed while we finish the brake system rehab and alxe seal replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks