• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-17 "liberty belle" pics and vids

scooter01922

Got to check out this AMAZING plane at a local airport. Its owned and run by Home | Liberty Belle B-17 Flying Fortress
Only in town for the weekend then they move along to a new airport. Got some great pics and a walk around vid as well as an interior vid. Sadly they had just done the final flight for the day when i arrived :-( I must work tonight till 1 Am and they plan on departing at 8 am but i may make the effort to go get a start up and departure vid anyway. The EAA "aluminum overcast" b-17 is sched to stop at this airport in late august and you can bet i'll be there to see that one too. Enjoy guys.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7kq2XZBlc[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2yphEaxUE[/media]

Attachments

DieselBob

Great vids and pics. Brings back good memories of when I went with my Dad to a airshow and the C.A.F. had their B-17 on display and they let you aboard. I had a hole new appreciation for the men that crewed these during the war.

scooter01922

Yeah, i hear ya there. Sure its got plenty of guns but that aluminum skin feels mighty thin once you get to go in there and crawl around. I would NOT want to be in one of those in wartime.

wb1895

I had the honor of flying in the Liberty Belle from Greensboro NC to Charleston SC about three years ago. My grandfather was a B-24 pilot during WWII, so it was really a privilege to get a small idea of what it was like flying in those beautiful birds.

We boarded the Belle and I sat in the radio operators seat. The pilot then began turning over those big rotary engines and she came to life!! I sat in my seat and closed my eyes and tried to imagine what it was like 65 years ago and hearing this exact same noise, feeling that exact same vibration, and what it was like to wonder if you were coming back or not.

After all four of the engines were running, we began to taxi down the side of the runway. When we reached the end of the runway the pilot ran up the engines and held the brakes. The whole bird began to shake and seem like she was ready to jump off the ground and into the air in anticipation. After the pilot ran up the engines we turned onto the runway. The pilot then ran up the engines again and let off of the brakes, We took off down the runway with the force of a moden day jet, I was amazed that a plane of that age still had that much power. As we were making our run down the runway I heard one of the engines backfire, but not miss again for the entire trip. After a few seconds on the runway I felt this beautiful silver bird lift off of the ground and take to the air.

After a few minutes in the air the pilot turned around and gave us the "thumbs up" , giving us permission to move around and see all of the different stations while in flight. I started out by walking through the bomb bay, past four 500lb bombs, to behind the pilots. I stood behind the pilots and watched in awe, wondering what it must have been like to fly over Germany and have flak bursting all around you. After watching the pilots for awhile I decided to move to the nose and look at the bombardier, and navigators station. I had to crawl on my belly under the pilots to get to the nose. Once I got there I sat in the bombardiers seat and looked through the Norton Bomb Sight, watching the houses and roads pass through the cross hairs. I was still in awe and was having trouble believing that I was actually flying in a B-17.

After I had looked through the nose of the bird I crawled back under the pilots, through the bomb bay, past the radio operators station to where the ball turret was. Unfortunately the ball turret was off limits, for insurance reasons, so we did not get to get inside it. I then moved back to the waist gunners stations and was able to stand in the waist, holding a .50 Browning Machine gun just as all those fine men did 65 years ago. I tried to imagine what it was like standing in the waist of a very small tin can holding a machine gun , while it was 30-50 degrees below zero getting shot at by a pissed off Nazi fighter, These men were greater men then I.........

After a 1 1/2 hour flight we landed in Charleston SC to a frenzy of TV cameras and reporters. I felt like a movie star as we got off of the bird and had reporters start running towards us. My feelings were horribly hurt as the reporters ran past us and started filming the B-17. I had to remind myself that I just had the privilege of spending and hour with the true star, and she deserved all of the attention...............

I will try to find the video that I took and see if I can post it.

Last edited:

scooter01922

Well guys, only got 3 hours of sleep in order to get to the airport monday morning to get the liberty belle starting after sitting overnight and then heading off to CT for its next stop. So totally worth it, the rumble of those engines, its just magical. Unfortunately i was behind the ****ed fence, and there were people around, so neither pic and or sound qual was what i was hoping for.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1mcvkQN5hg[/media]

trooper632

Got to fly in eight og eights a couple of years ago when the collins foundation flew into san antonio. he mechanis needed to use our ladder and a couple of other things out of the hanger, then they had two seats open for the last ride of the day and offered them to us free of charge. One of the most memorable things in my life, but would have been worth every penny if I had to pay for the ride. Its truley amazing the teenagers that crewed these planes back so long ago, cant imagine the teens of today even trying to do what they did back then, a dying breed that will never be the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks