• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-29 "Doc" Awarded New Airworthiness Certificate

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
This is truly good news! If the goof offs had not screwed it up, we would have three. Kee bird should have been recovered. What a waste.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

m715

That is very good news. I have had a lifetime interest in military aircraft history. A family member was a fighter pilot, serving in ww2, Korea and Vietnam. I also have a military plane crash site on my property. I believe the pilot was Charles may.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember Doc sitting at China Lake in 2000. I didn't think they could make her into a good static display let alone fly her again. Also hats off to the Boeing Co. for giving the Doc team hanger space in Wichita, and plenty of volunteers. 44-69972%20B-29%20ddNOV97%20DOC%20J-Cupido.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obtaining a AWC for a aircraft is quite the task.

Getting one for a B-29 is truly amazing.
That is a big plane and thousands of things had to be inspected and signed off.

Its hard for anyone that is not in aviation circles to really....truly, understand just how hard those guys worked to earn that AWC.
Not to mention the cost.

Very well done indeed!!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well stated, Sir.

I was part of the Engineering Team (on the US side) of Mitsubishi Aircraft International (MAI) when we first built and certified the MU-30 "Diamond Jet" (now better known as the Beechjet or USAF T-1A "Jayhawk"). It was the first jet certified under the newer tougher standards following that big L-1011 crash in the 1970's. We jumped through many hurdles that were erected AFTER the initial design work was done and the first two prototypes were built.

Before airworthiness was declared and certified, if we moved the location of a SINGLE RIVET or spliced into a SINGLE WIRE then an FAA Designated Engineer had to sign off on the alteration.... and that was after the Draftsman put his LEGAL SIGNATURE on the drawing, another Draftsman check his work and SIGNED it, then an appropriately disciplined and designated company ENGINEER added his LEGAL SIGNATURE to the drawing or change order. THEN Production Control, Scheduling, Quality Assurance, Procurement and G.O.D. (General Operations Director) all affixed their "seal of approval" before a technician could actually drill the new hole for the rivet or connected that one wire.
NO DETAIL went without scrutiny.

...and all that was with a brand new aircraft being built.

I can only imagine what it is like to deconstruct an airframe to accomplish component level inspections.

Last edited:

DanM7890

Just watched the whole in flight video on FIFI. What a machine and I couldn't begin to imagine the man hours and certs this plane underwent to be back in the air. Nothing makes me more happy than to see history preserved. Anyone have an idea how much it took to get "Doc" back in the air?

michigandon

My late Father refueld these and later loaded and unloaded ordinance onto and off of them when he was stationed on Okinawa during the Korean War.

Happy to see this happen.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an uncle who flew two WWII combat tours in the Pacific in B-25s, then transitioned to the B-29. They were island hopping the B-29 squadron across the Pacific to their assigned combat base when Japan surrendered, so he never flew the B-29 "in anger", though they were used as transports during the occupation.

He commented that you flew the B-25 almost like a fighter, but you didn't really fly the B-29, you 'managed' it (said by him with a grin).

Cheers

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, what a fantastic bird!! She's gorgeous, in looks and sound... hopefully I can see her in person some day at an airshow. Sure glad there are folks dedicated to keeping historical planes operational while we still have the opportunity. There's nothing like listening to those big radial engines!

Chainbreaker

Thanks for sharing this news! I have a warm spot in my heart for B-29's as my dad was a crew member on a B-29 (Lassie & Lassie Too) during the war. He flew 36 missions in one as a gunner in the right blister. Boy did he have some stories to tell!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any B-24s still flying? Thanks Chappy!

YES ! There are now TWO flying B-29's.

FIFI has been in the air for a while now.

DOC's restoration was completed much more recently. And THIS THREAD is all about DOC being issued a fresh AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE. That means that she is not longer flying under the "experimental" rules, but is in fact now considered to be a "real airplane" again. when they want to fly her she just file a flight plan and go (abbreviated explanation) like a little Cessna or Piper would.

Earning that CERTIFICATE is quite an accomplishment.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES ! There are now TWO flying B-29's.

FIFI has been in the air for a while now.

DOC's restoration was completed much more recently. And THIS THREAD is all about DOC being issued a fresh AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE. That means that she is not longer flying under the "experimental" rules, but is in fact now considered to be a "real airplane" again. when they want to fly her she just file a flight plan and go (abbreviated explanation) like a little Cessna or Piper would.

Earning that CERTIFICATE is quite an accomplishment.
Those pictures I just posted are of DOC's recent exploits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks