• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

back-up camera

infidel got me

I was just wondering what fellow members were using or would recommend in the purchase of a back-up camera. I really don't submerge my truck, but they are waterproof to an extent? My next point would be activating said camera. I was thinking of maybe willy rigging a switch in the shift tower or do you think just a reverse switch at the transmission. Well, with that said what brands are worth buying and what do you guys think of them.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed one on my M109A3 last year due to the huge blind spot in the rear. Got it from Cosco for less than $200, works great. It has inputs for four cameras. I don't belong to Cosco but paid a small fee to buy from them. I don't know how waterproof it is but rain doesn't harm it. I don't have the paperwork at hand but can find it if you are interested.

I was just wondering what fellow members were using or would recommend in the purchase of a back-up camera. I really don't submerge my truck, but they are waterproof to an extent? My next point would be activating said camera. I was thinking of maybe willy rigging a switch in the shift tower or do you think just a reverse switch at the transmission. Well, with that said what brands are worth buying and what do you guys think of them.

I got mine off of Ebay for less than 100$ and it has worked great since last Summer. It has a 7 inch screen and is basically a night vision camera or is very sensitive to light to where it works great at night.

Just do a search for 24V 7 inch backup camera and the same one will come up for the same price I paid.

I think I had to adhere the camera to the mounting bracket with zip ties because for some reason it kept shorting out when it was metal to metal....but since I attached it with the heavy duty zip ties I never had a problem out of it and I go down the interstate at almost 80 miles an hr some times.

I have a 6 switch panel mounted under the dash that it is connected to.

Here is a video that I posted in another thread for an issue I was having with the truck, but you can see the camera to at least get an idea of what kind of presence it has...although what's on the screen does not really show in the video...I assure it is quite a clear picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjj7Ly0l5zE

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping to find an all-in-one unit with display that'll *record* both front and rear facing cameras (regardless of what is currently displayed on the LCD screen). Bonus if I can also wire in additional cameras but they don't need to be recording.

74M35A2

You could have just said that you don't know how to back up to a trailer. I'd run it off a relay driven through the reverse pressure switch on the Allison, with a manual dash switch over-ride. Let me know if you need a bar napkin circuit sketch. It's easy to do.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just let it run all the time? If I were to put one on the back of my truck it would either be on the master power so it runs all the time or on a switch that I controlled manually. No sense in making it more complicated and besides, I want to see the car I might roll back on that pulls up to close to me at a light on a freaking hill. Last time it was a Mercedes.

rakuten.com has wireless as low as $28.

infidel got me

Camera

Guys, thanks for all the input-- all valid points made.

74m-- Truth be told--- backing up a 1101 behind these trucks is a real PITA LOL I wore out a set of ft. tires out last year and dug two craters in my yard backing in 30 feet!

SW Bradley-- I know what you mean-- I almost recycled a 4 wheeler last time out, this is why I started this thread.

I like the idea of the recording forward camera also, so here it goes.

Back up camera-- switched manually-- hooked up to a back-up alarm, or a sketch from 74m with the reverse switch.
I can wire it where when in reverse-- back up camera--then when in drive--forward recording camera on automatically.

Again guys, thanks for the input-- I have a game plan to work with now.

74M---- YOU LEFT THE DOOR OPEN ON THE BACKING UP THING-- I WAS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING BUT------ MY WIFE SAID IT MAY OFFEND SOME MEMBERS ON HERE--- THE GLOVES ARE STILL OFF-- SO WATCH IT SUCKER---BAAAAAHHHHHAAAAA

I didn't notice Mr.Bradley mentioned a wireless camera-- I like going wireless--

Last edited:

74M35A2

Guys, thanks for all the input-- all valid points made.74m-- Truth be told--- backing up a 1101 behind these trucks is a real PITA LOL I wore out a set of ft. tires out last year and dug two craters in my yard backing in 30 feet! SW Bradley-- I know what you mean-- I almost recycled a 4 wheeler last time out, this is why I started this thread.I like the idea of the recording forward camera also, so here it goes.Back up camera-- switched manually-- hooked up to a back-up alarm, or a sketch from 74m with the reverse switch.I can wire it where when in reverse-- back up camera--then when in drive--forward recording camera on automatically.Again guys, thanks for the input-- I have a game plan to work with now.74M---- YOU LEFT THE DOOR OPEN ON THE BACKING UP THING-- I WAS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING BUT------ MY WIFE SAID IT MAY OFFEND SOME MEMBERS ON HERE--- THE GLOVES ARE STILL OFF-- SO WATCH IT SUCKER---BAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAI didn't notice Mr.Bradley mentioned a wireless camera-- I like going wireless--
Come get some. Your mom did...

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told by somebody on here that the trailer always follows the truck while backing up. so put the camera on the trailer and you will never hit anything.:p

74M35A2

I was told by somebody on here that the trailer always follows the truck while backing up. so put the camera on the trailer and you will never hit anything.:p
Didn't you see the sign at the entrance to the 5t forum: No little boys allowed. And the truck follows the trailer when backing, not vice-versa. You have the carriage before the horse.

Nogueremuseum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a 24 volt camera system on my 5 ton from rearviewsafety.com. The system is great, highly recommend it. I started with one backup camera and their 7" monitor. Have since added a right side camera that can spot a small car in the blind spot. If it were not for my buddy riding shotgun in October, when returning from the Georgia Rally on the Interstate loop in Atlanta, and needing to make a lane change, I would have run over a small car that was maintaining position abeam my front wheel, totally out of view of mirrors and driver. Also added a forward facing camera mounted on the front of the hood to see exactly where the right side of the winch bumper is. You just press a switch on the monitor to scroll through camera images. I normally leave the rear view image on the entire time while driving. The folks at Rear View Safety have been very helpful with selection of cameras - they have quite a selection, different angles of view, some can be mirrored, etc., as well as no problems in returning the wrong extension cords ordered. This is professional, very well built hardware, roughly $180 for the original camera and monitor. Extra cameras were about $100 apiece. Cheers!

big block 88

Get mine off amazon. I have used them numerous times and never had a failure with bad weather and roughing around in the dirt. I just run a switch on the dash as it is nice to see when some small car is tailgating so i can hit the led floods and back them up a bit if its fairly dark.

Dont mess with wireless they have yet to work for me on these trucks theres a ton of heavy steel between the rear end and cab. 7" led screen so it works well in the cold unlike lcd. Higher end cameras have decent low/light and even short range nv.

I think a back up camera mounted where the driver could see the front winch would work much better then having some one watching that no idea on what they are watching for till it happens .

acme66

I have a three camera system that I can see on a screen mounted behind the steering wheel. If DOT pulls you remember to tun the screen off or it is fine time but since I use it as a rear-view mirror I never do. Life isn't a video game so watch the road not the screen is my motto. No more or less distracting than having an actual center rear-view mirror. The cameras have a reverse view option that flips the image to match that of a mirror, otherwise it is disorienting. I have had a front facing camera fail and get water in but neither the bed nor rear view cameras ever have. They also have surprising night vision with infra red lights. I have a powerful backup light so it isn't needed but nice to know it is there. This is a video of the camera quality, sure it is the bed camera (that one records sound) but the picture quality is the same on all of them. Got it from e-bay, runs on 24V and the ability to save the video gives me peace of mind. No real brand and it is all Chinesium but has worked fine for several years now. Screen would let me record four cameras but other than an inside the cab view I am not sure what I would point the 4th at.

Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELCK98IXMyQ&index=68&list=PLSw6mhcLSL-MQ8nkmYpUSF1vaMhU2rTV4

FloridaAKM

On my Deuce, I installed a rear view camera system that allows me to use the camera over the pintle to hook up a trailer as well as see whats going on behind me. The second camera lets me monitor the blind sport on the right side of the truck, you can switch between screens or use a split screen. The two camera system came from Amazon for right under $100.00 with a standard 7" monitor mounted in the ceiling. It is a 24v system so no inverter is needed. Power is supplied thru switch to use it when needed. The LMTV will get the next system when funds allow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks