• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Military Surplus Generator Advice Online

Isaac-1

I started looking around last night using google to find advice on buying military surplus generators and was shocked to see so much bad advice and misinformation out there on a variety of message boards ranging from the wacko survivalist boards, gun owner boards, to home owner groups. (this is not to claim all survivalist are wackos, just that some members of the group can be a bit off the deep end and not living in the real world). Some of this advice may be considered a matter of opinion, you don't want a big heavy generator, and others are just plain wrong like, the small 3KW diesel powered military generators have rope pull starters and Onan built engines that you can't find parts for. The later obviously confusing the difference between the MEP-016 family members (a,b,c,d, &e).

So anyway here are a few random tidbits of questionable advice I found:

...militray equipment are designed to meet specifications when manufactured. Seldom is efficency and cost effective anywhere int he same unverse. So a civilian generator that cost $X a killowat to operate over its life, may see a 10 times $X for a comparable military surplus generator.

Militray never consideres the amount of cost of fuel in equioment as they bet what they want when they want - no questions asked. So those comparable civilian generators may all come in around 3 gallons an hour to operate while that military one may need 10 gallons.

The older Military Generators were designed to keep lighting and essential equipment running. At that time, there was not a lot of computer use like there is today. The Generators were not real stable for power. If you hook one of those up to your house, today, don't use anything computerized. Refridgerator, Stove, if computerized. Computer, TV, Sterio, etc, not going to run on that power, or worse yet, you'll ruin them

The real problem with military gensets is that the military beats them to death before getting rid of them.

Maybe if you bought twenty of them used them for parts to keep one running....

If it looks new, quite possibly it was used in power generation classes, and I would avoid like the plague. But one that looks like its done a days work was probably maintained according to schedule.

It SEEMS to be general government policy that good condition, serviceable equipment that is turned into the DRMO is to be left outside in the elements until it turns into an absolute pile of ****, and THEN it is sold at auction.

Anyway just thought I would share while I wait on my PAID invoice to show on on the GL site for the MEP-003a I won yesterday

Ike

Triple Jim

Yeah, I've seen a little of what you posted myself. The web is full of self-proclaimed experts giving advice, so I guess the military generator information is about on par. I can tell you that in the year that I've had my 003A, I've used it to power the house monthly, and for real multi-hour outages several times, and it kept four refrigerators and freezers, a 2-ton air conditioner, six computers, various home electronic audio and video devices, and various shop equipment running without so much as a hiccup. I've even switched to generator power when thunderstorms were in the area to avoid the power dropouts and surges they often cause.

I suppose that the bright side of the misinformation is less demand, and therefore lower cost for us.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It SEEMS to be general government policy that good condition, serviceable equipment that is turned into the DRMO is to be left outside in the elements until it turns into an absolute pile of ****, and THEN it is sold at auction.
This one isn't too far off :)

Isaac-1

No, not too far off, but given we are talking about mostly weather proof generators it does have a bit of a negative spin to it.

Ike

Munchies

My favorite is that the sine wave is too dirty to run anything modern. I guess my lcd tv, 3 computers, router, modem, and my HP oscilliscope are full of crap huh! I am not NEARLY as electrically inclined as a few members,but darn......

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who would have thought that my oscilloscope was lying to me when it showed an ideal AC sine wave on the MEP power outputs!!

Isaac-1

Muchies, I know that feeling, on a side note I was reading a TM for something on GL that I am thinking about bidding on a couple of days ago, and saw the requirements for the bench test procedure, it required 2 multi-meters, a Variable AC power supply, and a Variable DC power supply, and my first thought was I have all of those things stored under my bed.

Ike

storeman

Shhhh! I couldn't be happier with the 10 kw I got last fall for summer outages and its 5 kw backup for winter outages. Got to take some new pics for the site as all the exterior metal has now been painted to blend better into the house/deck.

Got 2 002a's recently that are also performers. Waiting to have fuel tank welded on one and digital Hz gauge replacement on the other, along with DCVR troubleshooting for the second one. First one pulls 130% load for 10 min before overheating! All this on 0,5 gallons per hour.

Fuel consumption has always been a major issue to the Army because we have to haul our fuel to the using unit. The more fuel sauckers you have, the more truckers you need and the fewer fighters are left for the war.

Let the bad info flow. It is to our advantage.

Jerry:beer::beer:

bmwsyc

On another forum I follow, there was talk of back up power for a house and quite a few members said to be wary of modified sine wave generators...that for ensuring trouble free use of automation equipment, you should make sure you have a pure sign wave generator.

i think some may have been talking about inverter type generators, but they did not specify...and some were talking about things they had no experience with.

dependable

In one sense, telling most people not to buy an MEP is sound advice. Misinformation aside, not everyone wants to learn the mechanical and electrical skill set to get and keep these rigs going.

Most of us on this forum are mechanically inclined or interested in learning. The vast majority of homeowner types will probably be better off with something they can turn the key (or pull) and start.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

On another forum I follow, there was talk of back up power for a house and quite a few members said to be wary of modified sine wave generators...that for ensuring trouble free use of automation equipment, you should make sure you have a pure sign wave generator.

i think some may have been talking about inverter type generators, but they did not specify...and some were talking about things they had no experience with.

/scratching head/

I'm trying to figure out how you would even MAKE a "modified sine wave" generator! :doh:

As you say, people talking about things they don't understand.

Isaac-1

Dependable that is part of the reason when people ask me which surplus generator they should buy for emergency standby use I tell them the MEP-016D, with the warning that the (fairly primitive) control box likely needs some TLC to get the gauges to work right, etc. Since it uses what amounts to a standard civilian Yanmar L70 engine, just fitted with a 24V starter so there is no reason why any Yanmar engine shop should not be able to service one, plus the generator end is nearly bullet proof excluding the voltage regulator which can easily be switched out for a cheap SX-460 clone. I don't see this as a big deal since these same people don't care how their big box store generators work either. Now a MEP-002a (or even a MEP-016E) is far more esoteric and I would never suggest one to a person that was not up to maintaining it themselves, or had access to someone that knows how to maintain one (ie I might suggest one for my sister in law and her husband, knowing I would be the one that ended up making it run).

Ike

dependable

I get the last part, if you recommend a machine to friends or family, they will be calling you when it breaks. It might as well be one you know how to work on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks