• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Disconnect Light comes on...transmission goes into limp mode- only 5 gears

Erik Erickson

Hi All,
2003 M1078A1.
The battery disconnect light comes on frequently - even for a short joy ride. Once on, I see the voltage all over the place, then the Transmission light comes on. I also see that it goes into a limp-mode, only allowing 4th or 5th gear max.

The batteries are the originals and seemingly in good working order. No problems starting the truck, even in frigid New Hampshire temperatures. I checked the battery terminals to ensure they are tight. No corrosion on the terminals.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Ronmar

Drop to just 2 batteries, have them LOAD TESTED. Check EVERY connection between alt and battery. The LBCD samples the F- signal from the regulator to sense alternator load. When it senses the alt is being driven to full field/overloaded, it disconnects the batteries from the alt. If it is not producing stable voltage with the batteries disconnected, it is either a bad connection or it is an alt/reg issue…

The trans needs good power and will let you know when it is not happy with the power it is receiving. What codes has it stored?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load test the batteries. Number one priority. Disconnect them from the truck entirely for the test.

Transmission computer will be the first to complain about voltages that are out of it's range of operation. Mine did that when I had the over-voltage problem.

See my thread about the OVCO issue I experienced. Took me 8 months to figure it out:

Erik Erickson

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I caused more problems now.

I checked the battery connections. Voltages seem ok. Range between 11.X - 12.X. I looked into the battery disconnect box. Clean. Measured voltages there.

I went to the LBCD. Looked ok, but there was some surface rust on the bolts. I cleaned them up a bit. The internal mating surfaces were in nice shape. With the batteries and with the top lead disconnected (labeled 24V Battery), I tested voltage to a nearby nut on the frame. It arched which I thought was weird, but ultimately read around 24V.

I put that lead back and tested the second lead down (labeled 24V Load). This is only reading 5.1V
I tested the 12V Batt and 12V Load, both were 12V.

Before I put the spare tire back and tilt the cab back in place, I used the switches mounted near the engine to start it up. It started for maybe 5 seconds, then shut off.

Since then, I can restart the engine. With the cab in place, same thing. I looked in the fuse box for anything obvious. Nothing. I tested the 12V and 24V lugs in the breaker box.
12V batt is 12V.
12V ignition = nothing
24V batt is 5.1V.
24V ignition = nothing.

Any ideas? Did I blow up the LBCD?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of times on here people ASSURE us the batteries are good and then after days of back and forth, they end up NOT being good. Suggest you have them load tested before condemning expensive LBCDs etc.

Erik Erickson

I agree. That makes sense...and I am not convinced my batteries are in great shape. The only thought I had was that for the past 3 weeks, I would start the truck daily, take joy rides around with my kids, etc. There was the 'battery disconnect' issue, but that has been that way for some time. I usually would just shut it off and restart it. The warning light would disappear and I would continue down the road.

Now, I tinkered with that LBCD and I can't get a single light in the dash to turn on, no noises, etc. SOMETHING just happened. Right?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. That makes sense...and I am not convinced my batteries are in great shape. The only thought I had was that for the past 3 weeks, I would start the truck daily, take joy rides around with my kids, etc. There was the 'battery disconnect' issue, but that has been that way for some time. I usually would just shut it off and restart it. The warning light would disappear and I would continue down the road.

Now, I tinkered with that LBCD and I can't get a single light in the dash to turn on, no noises, etc. SOMETHING just happened. Right?
The 5.1 volts is why everything at the dash is dead. I don't think you blew anything up with your diagnostics. I think your symptoms point to an ever-weakening battery bank.

Erik Erickson

If you have batteries at 12.0 volts or less, they are either junk or discharged.
Agreed. I think they are not optimal, but until today I could reliably start the truck anytime. I was using these sub-optimal batteries in 0 degree weather, no ether and it would start. I suspect I did something to make it so I am not getting 24V to the dash, no lights, no buzzers.

Erik Erickson

The 5.1 volts is why everything at the dash is dead. I don't think you blew anything up with your diagnostics. I think your symptoms point to an ever-weakening battery bank.
So do you think that it is coincidental? That the batteries just got so bad that it won't start at all? Each battery is between 11.X volts and 12.X volts. When I measure the voltage for the 12V battery at the LBCD it seems spot on. The 24V seems super weird. As a sanity check, I measured the voltage at the alternator lugs. There is a 12V and 24V one that I found. They are both seemingly the right voltage there...12V and 24V.

Strange right?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Agreed. I think they are not optimal, but until today I could reliably start the truck anytime. I was using these sub-optimal batteries in 0 degree weather, no ether and it would start. I suspect I did something to make it so I am not getting 24V to the dash, no lights, no buzzers.
I have a M1088. It has 4 batteries in it. 2 @ 12v and 2 @ 24v. That flippin truck couldn't charge it's way out of a wet paper bag until I upgraded the alternator. I DON"T THINK you need to do that, but with the crummy batteries that I had AND the questionable alternator I had - I had problems.

SOLUTION for me was to load up the batteries and haul them to the local parts house. THEY had a load tester and I didn't. Two of the four were not capable of a sustained load. Replacing those batteries solved my particular problem.

Erik Erickson

I have a M1088. It has 4 batteries in it. 2 @ 12v and 2 @ 24v. That flippin truck couldn't charge it's way out of a wet paper bag until I upgraded the alternator. I DON"T THINK you need to do that, but with the crummy batteries that I had AND the questionable alternator I had - I had problems.

SOLUTION for me was to load up the batteries and haul them to the local parts house. THEY had a load tester and I didn't. Two of the four were not capable of a sustained load. Replacing those batteries solved my particular problem.
Thanks for that. I think it would be good to get some batteries I have a bit more confidence in. I just don't know if that is the cause of my issues. Planned upgrade for sure...among many others as the budget allows.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for that. I think it would be good to get some batteries I have a bit more confidence in. I just don't know if that is the cause of my issues. Planned upgrade for sure...among many others as the budget allows.
I understand how that works!

Having confidence that you DO or DON'T need to spend the money is a worthwhile thing too. AutoZone, NAPA (in our area anyhow), Pep Boys, and Advance Auto Parts all do that testing for free. Can't hardly beat the price if you load them up and drive them there.

Ronmar

Well if you are only getting 5.1 on the 24v load terminal with the 24v batt terminal connected, the 24v diodes are not passing correctly or you have a bad 24v connection at the LBCD. the batt power runs from batteries to the 24v batt terminal(alternator 24 is also connected here) thru the diodes and back out the 24load terminal and on to the power panel.

The 12v path is the same, batt to LBCD 12v batt terminal(along with alternator12), thru the 12v diodes to the 12v load terminal and on to the power panel….

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
12.6v is a fully charged battery. 10.5v is a fully discharged battery.

Anything in the 11.Xv range is EXTREMELY suspect and may have essentially zero capacity with shorted cells. See chart:

Disconnect each battery from the truck and LOAD TEST them. You can't continue the troubleshooting process till you do this. I use one of these at my shop but there are cheaper ones without the printer and there's the old carbon pile testers that worked for decades but couldn't do some of the fancier testing that can detect actual failure mode:

The LBCD diodes (between 12v batt and 12v load, and between 24v batt and 24v load) should show a 0.7v drop across them.

Ronmar

Yep, you want in the upper 12s on battery voltage to proceed. They also need to deliver a respectable amount of current when loaded to the test voltage(crank amp test).

The diodes in the LBCD should only drop the voltage 0.3-0.5V from the battery terminal to the load terminal on the 12 and 24v circuits. And as always when troubleshooting DC circuits, voltage is not considered good until it is measured good WHILE supplying it’s load…

Erik Erickson

Update:

I want to thank everyone for your comments up this point.
Yesterday I was removing some of the terminals from the LBCD, starting with the top one. I put it all back together and, as you know, nothings would start.

Today, I was able to pull the LBCD, which was a total pain to explore it more. While doing so (with the power on), I was removing the top terminal and I could hear the all the buzzers in the interior turn on!

20220622_165555.jpg

From the prior day, I inadvertently sheared the stud on the 24V Batt terminal. This was an oversight on my part - I think this is a special stud. Notice the threads taper to a smaller diameter?

20220622_165611.jpg

The other issue is that the nut that was epoxied into LBCD was loose and can be removed.
20220622_165621.jpg

Here is a picture of the little bit of the stud still inside the LBCD.
20220622_165628.jpg

So, I need some recommendations.
1. Do I attempt a repair or do I need to replace?
2. If repair, how to secure the nut into the LBCD? Epoxy, some other adhesive?
3. Do I attempt to remove the bit of stud?
4. If yes, any ideas on where I can buy a replacement?
5. If no, do you suggest a conductive paste or another solution?
6. Did I forget to ask anything?

Thanks in advance guys. You have been very helpful!

By the way, I checked all the battery voltages today. All stable at 12.4V- 12.8V

coachgeo

here to help you get started

Advanced search link using terms LBCD fix

one of thread titles from, above results looks interesting. Vaguely remember it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks