• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery issues?

Generator will not start. Checked Voltage on both batteries and it’s saying 14v when they are connected together. Pulled the batteries off and getting around 13v on each battery. Put batteries on charger separately and topped off. Both showing 13v. Hooked back up together on generator and still only getting 13v. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

Generator will not start. Checked Voltage on both batteries and it’s saying 14v when they are connected together. Pulled the batteries off and getting around 13v on each battery. Put batteries on charger separately and topped off. Both showing 13v. Hooked back up together on generator and still only getting 13v. Please help

How are you hooking them up? How are you testing the batteries?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nextalcupfan

I get 12V on the left side battery on my 803a. (The side with the exhaust manifold and fuel cutoff solenoid)
I believe the stock battery cables have a diode in them.

I would check for 24V at the main starter connection.

Ray70

Correct... Just because your DMM shows 13V ( really it's probably 12.5 or so ) doesn't mean your battery is any good. You need to load test the batteries.
You may have 1 battery with only a surface charge and no amperage behind it.
Other than that if you are correctly hooked in Series there's no way you can have a complete connection but only 13V across both batteries, if the batteries are good. Are you sure 1 battery isn't backwards, putting them in parallel?

Scoobyshep

Correct... Just because your DMM shows 13V ( really it's probably 12.5 or so ) doesn't mean your battery is any good. You need to load test the batteries.
You may have 1 battery with only a surface charge and no amperage behind it.
Other than that if you are correctly hooked in Series there's no way you can have a complete connection but only 13V across both batteries, if the batteries are good. Are you sure 1 battery isn't backwards, putting them in parallel?
Putting one backwards would not make it parallel, From an electrical theroy standpoint it would yeald 0 volts (12+ plus 12- =0) in practice usually a fire.

Ray70

Agreed that reversing a battery would not create a complete parallel circuit, but would it really cause a fire or even a short? Wouldn't there simply be no current flow because there is no connection between the negative of either battery and the machine? Only the 2 positives are connected to the machine.
Or am I visualizing it wrong? In reality with stock cables you probably couldn't reverse a battery anyway because the terminals and cables are different diameters and the error would be noticed immediately.
So I think he should still load test both batteries. You can get a 100A tester at Harbor Freight for like $20
1610645176790.png

Scoobyshep

Agreed that reversing a battery would not create a complete parallel circuit, but would it really cause a fire or even a short? Wouldn't there simply be no current flow because there is no connection between the negative of either battery and the machine? Only the 2 positives are connected to the machine.
Or am I visualizing it wrong? In reality with stock cables you probably couldn't reverse a battery anyway because the terminals and cables are different diameters and the error would be noticed immediately.
So I think he should still load test both batteries. You can get a 100A tester at Harbor Freight for like $20
View attachment 823444
If you went across both batteries, possible fire. I wouldnt want to try it .

Defiantly use a good old battery toaster.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
803a. Everything was working fine. Forgot to start for a few weeks and found this. I’ve tested in series and alone and getting around 13v.

Even a dead battery can show 13 volts with no load on it. Put your meter across one battery, and have someone turn the switch to prime or start. Then put your meter across the other battery, and turn the switch to prime or start again. Your bad battery will show a significant drop in voltage. Even just turning on the panel lights will drop a dead battery voltage close to 0.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Went and bought 2 new AGM Batteries from Sams, $139 each. Installed one and tried it and it was my older red top that was the culprit. Took out the other Red Top and running on both Duracell AGM’s. Starts up fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks