• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery/Starter Problem

Dipstick

Last week my son and I installed two new 6TL batteries in my truck. Yesterday, I installed three new fan belts. I decided to drive my bobber to Home Depot. Then something odd happened when I climbed in the truck to drive back home. When I turned on the master switch the engine started without my pressing the starter button. I heard a loud noise from under the truck as I was doing about 45mph on a local highway. When I got home I found that none of the electric gauges had power and the negative cable connection on my battery was melted and looked like a pool of solder. I'm wondering if my starter solenoid hung up. I would appreciate any advice I can get from my friends at SS.

welldigger

Sounds like either your starter push button has shorted out or the solenoid has hung up. Start by pulling the starter push button and checking continuity through it without pushing the button. There shouldn't be any until you push it. Same thing with the solenoid. There shouldn't be power running through it until the button tells the contacts to close.

Dipstick

Thanks Digger. I was thinking the same. I just came back from reading the batteries and got 25.3 volts across the terminals. I hope my new batteries are still good. I had installed a new start switch about a half year ago. I guess one wire is connected to the master switch and the other goes to the solenoid. I've forgotten. I'll have to read the schematic. It was a big let down for me, because my truck has been running so great. It's raining now, so I'll have to put it off for a time.

welldigger

I believe you are correct on the wiring. Sorry to hear that your having trouble. I hate chasing electrical gremlins. While your at it send some rain down here! I'm putting the finishing touches on my hub flip and its over 100. Fun times.

Dipstick

Over 100 and humid I bet. Sounds brutal! Stay hydrated. Hope your hubs flipped okay. You must be singling your truck out. Are you going with large tires?

welldigger

Yep. Before next week is over I'll have her rolling on 395 xzl's. Then I'll be installing an aero turbine muffler and see how that works out. O hey be sure to inspect your wiring harness and battery cables. Sounds like they got w bit hot.

Dipstick

I will definitely be looking at the harness. I have to take half the dash apart to get at the master switch. Good luck with the big tires. There are a lot of hills in NJ, so I limited myself to 43" diameter T-831s dualled out back. Didn't want to sap my hill climbing ability too much. I have a Donaldson muffler. The Neighbors think it quieted down my truck. Maybe a bit at idle. I also had a twisty type of muffler. It didn't do much either as far as I could tell. I hope your muffler works well.

Dipstick

Not exactly, but it had a spiral shaped metal insert inside that kind of looked like an auger bit. Is that what an aero turbine muffler is?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a truck that as soon as you hit the master power, the starter runs. Unplug the starter switch and it's ok. Obviously a stuck starter switch.

welldigger

aero turbine muffler?
Yes. It is called the aero turbine. It used to be its own company but is now being produced by jones exhaust. In fact I got it directly from jones. They don't normally sell directly to an individual but I was having trouble finding it from a distributor. They were all out of stock. I email jones exhaust to make sure they were still making it and after explaining what I intended to install it on they were very interested. So they sold me one directly.

The aero turbine is a strait through design but it isn't a glass pack. It has an air foil looking thing inside of it. Another member turned me onto it. He claimed good results. So I'm going to give it a try. I got the 3535. It fits perfectly between the fender and the first clamp/ support on the stack.

I would have liked to used the xl3535. It has a built in resonater so it may have been a bit quieter. But you would need to be a bit more creative on the install because it is 6 inches longer.

Dipstick

The start switch checks out fine. I now suspect that either the magnetic start relay or starter solenoid contacts, both of which should be normally open, are closed. I hope to check this out on 9/7/2013 when I'm off.

Jeepsinker

Hold on, is it possible that the bendix gear may have stuck in the engaged position and turned the starter into a generator of sorts? I've seen it happen about twice in my lifetime on civvy vehicles. Of course, it's normally accompanied by other wiring being rubbed through or shorted.

Dipstick

Thanks for the thought Jeep, but no. The start button/switch tested ok. I think either the magnetic starter or the starter solenoid contacts were closed when they should have been open. I will also be checking the two start button wires to make sure they are not shorted together in the harness as you suggest. I hope to start on it Saturday.

Dipstick

Thanks Jeep. Well, I went out and tested my mag starter and starter solenoid contacts for continuity with my meter today. They both read open as they should. I'm really going to have to put my thinking cap on. At present, I'm charging the batteries and thinking about getting some new cables. Mine look pretty tired. Hope you are well.

welldigger

Now comes the fun part. Hunting for a short. Good luck dip. That is definitely one of my least favorite activities as far as repair work goes.

Jeepsinker

Oh come on, that's all the fun right there! Certainly not as bad on these trucks as it is on all of the newer vehicles with wiring harnesses the size of a radiator hose.

o1951

disconnect the cable from the starter. Hook a 24v test lamp to it. Actuate starter button several times. If the light ever stays on when you release button, then you know problem is before starter - maybe a sticky relay. If it works right, look at starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks