• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Be safe when working on Your truck.

jrobinson5093

I am out of work for a few days now. I fell off my 5 ton and broke my right heel. So everyone just be careful. This so far has been a very painful experience. And probably costly depending on how long I am outta work. All because I didn't watch where I put my foot. But it could have been worse. I was lifting the hood and slipped and the hood fell on my arm. the hood latched and I could not open the hood. Luckily another worker was nearby and came to my help. I got a few scrapes on my arm, but when I hit the ground it cracked my heel. So again be careful and try to work with someone there. If he had not been there it would have been a long painful time waiting on some one to come by.

General Hood

I am out of work for a few days now. I fell off my 5 ton and broke my right heel. So everyone just be careful. This so far has been a very painful experience. And probably costly depending on how long I am outta work. All because I didn't watch where I put my foot. But it could have been worse. I was lifting the hood and slipped and the hood fell on my arm. the hood latched and I could not open the hood. Luckily another worker was nearby and came to my help. I got a few scrapes on my arm, but when I hit the ground it cracked my heel. So again be careful and try to work with someone there. If he had not been there it would have been a long painful time waiting on some one to come by.
May you have a speedy recovery sir

KsM715

For anyone that doesn't know, there is a reason the military will not let their personnel wear rings or necklace's why around equipment. Trust me the weight of a falling man can and will take a finger right off

Ford Mechanic

For anyone that doesn't know, there is a reason the military will not let their personnel wear rings or necklace's why around equipment. Trust me the weight of a falling man can and will take a finger right off
My dad is missing his wedding ring finger from jumping off a tractor and his wedding ring catching on a piece a slag. Cut it right off.

wsucougarx

I hear you on that. I've slipped off my deuce's step and landed on the ground a few times. The most sobering on was I was standing on the bumper and stretched my leg to go on the fender. My rear foot on the bumper slipped and well...my crotch got a bit painful. Be careful out there.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More of a close call. When I was prepping my M931 A2 at GL I was coming down thinking I was close to the ground (based deuce heights). Luckily I held onto the truck and just slammed into the side of it. Not hurt, just embarrassed.

As far as rings go. In my skinnier days, I jumped up to do a pull up on a rafter in my shed (to show off). Ring dug into the wood and I couldn't let go without it removing my finger. I managed to hope that hand up enough to get the ring to release, but I was sweating the lose of that finger for a few seconds while I figured out how to get down.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked for Douglas Aircraft/Boeing for 34 years, and jewelry, long hair, and tank tops were a no no when working in the machine shop. If you had long hair you wore a hair net. Hope you have a speedy recovery sir!!!

turnkey

Have a friend that has a perment ring on his ring finger.....Changing batteries on a power rig, He left his ring on....Made contact with the Pos terminal and a Ground point....Ring fried his finger before coming off.....Hope you heal up OK....Thanks again for that powerful reminder about safety ....

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch!
Thanks for the reminder. Best of recovery wishes - hopefully you can get some gentle treatment from family and friends. :( :oops:

Those M809 series really need a hood lift, like the one sold to me from BBQROD last year. One of the best, and most practical of mods.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402150726.734997.jpg

BBQROD's vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRW4bgybkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5lph5XGPA

Last edited:

tim292stro

And don't stick your fingers through expanded mesh and expect to use that to support yourself - I worked in retain in my younger years (yeah it was a decade ago so I can call it that). I watch someone do that to jump out of a garbage bin, and they degloved all 8 of their fingers... I had to do the first aid and the report.

If you don't like blood don't click this link - that's is the only warning you get...

jrobinson5093

Thanks for all the good wishes. They have a cast on it now. I'm now waiting for a CT scan to make sure every thing in the joint is where it should be. Everything has been going good until I was going through the house on my crutches, and stumbled and tried to stand on my foot. BIG MISTAKE I will leave it at that.

Lonnie

Glad you injuries were not worse. It's easy to get hurt on these things.

I fell off of mine last summer while painting the rear of the cab by getting my feet tangled in a tarp covering the frame.
Landed flat on my back in gravel, poking bunch of holes in my skin, plus ripping a fingernail off & severely bruising some ribs.
I'ts a long way down on one that has 53" tires on it.

Live & learn... Get better & try not to repeat the same or similar stunt in the future.

NovacaineFix

Getting hurt on a 5-ton is very easy to do, especially when working up top in the engine compartment.

I remember when I was standing on the bumper working on the 818 and had the air filter out of it's container. Went to turn around and almost leaned on the retainer strap that holds the front half of the air filter in. Caught my balance before falling over, which would have been very bad as I would have impaled myself on a chain link fence if I had fallen. Actually, if you look at my avatar photo, it is the fence that is immediately to the right of the 818.

I mis-step or lost of balance is enough to do some real damage, be careful out there.

Good Luck and hope you heal soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks