• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr paint test.

lincolntwilliams

I'm going to be doing a short term durability test on Behr. The canopy pictured was painted and left to dry in my garage for three weeks. The average temp was probably around 60. The truck has original carc from 97. The tailgate was painted with, from what I can tell, rattle can Camo paint.

My initial impression is that Behr will not ever be as durable as carc, it scratches easily and is still pretty soft. It rained all day yesterday and in places where water collected the paint had a different hue, I'm sure once dry it will return to the original color.... That said the color codes provided on here are spot on!

I'll try to keep posting pics, poke and prod me if there is too long of a laps.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will take a minimum of three weeks for the paint to dry, longer if it is humid. Where you are located is generally regarded as very humid. Give it another three to four weeks and report back (or read one of the dozen or so threads that have already dealt with this same subject).

zout

Stick it out in the full sun here down South - let it broil that surface to near 300 degree's - need to limit the test so not all think its durablity is equal thoughout the states.

wsucougarx

I'm three years into my behr paint test. Thus far I have had no peeling nor fading issues. My truck is not sheltered and has been in the pnw elements.

lincolntwilliams

How does your paint hold up to brush/tree limbs like when driving off road, rock chips, are your trucks used for trucks?The other threads hardly touch on durability. People say their trucks still look good after a while, it doesn't tell you what kind of environment they lived in. And another thread that either helps or discredits a product from use isn't a bad thing. If there already was one I wouldn't be typing this.

lincolntwilliams

I'm three years into my behr paint test. Thus far I have had no peeling nor fading issues. My truck is not sheltered and has been in the pnw elements.
Thanks for the input. What part of Wa do you live? I live in Tacoma. How long before you exposed your vehicles to the elements after you painted them?

wsucougarx

I live down in the Aberdeen area. I had my truck out in the elements since day one. I don't have a garage or shelter to put them under. Luckily when I painted my truck I had at least two weeks of sun w/hardly any humidity. As far as durability, I accidently cut the corner short in my truck and didn't know it. I scraped the side of the bed on a 4x4 post. The paint didn't rub or peel off. It got scratch as would be expected. The Behr paint, to me, is better than CARC. It doesn't peel off in chunks nor have I seen rust coming out from underneath. Plus, the Behr paint does have a rough texture (if applied without reducing) and remains as flat as CARC. Plus it's about $100 cheaper per gallon and not as harmful to the person spraying it;-).

maxxplanck

Wsucougarx, when you painted your M923 how many gallons of paint do you use and how many coats ? Thinking of painting mine this summer, I was looking to do 2-3 coats. 2 coats definitely 3 rd on heavy use areas . What paint did you use for the black and brown ?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics of the paint codes on the cans. I got a funny look from the Home Depot guy, "you want to paint a what,? with Behr paint. I have an older screen shot of a paint can lid, just double checking.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell the HD people to get on their paint computer, go to "Competitive (something or other)", then search down to find "FSS" (Federal Supply Service) and then put in the codes for the paint you want to have mixed - 383 green is code 34094, 383 brown is code 30051, black camo is 37030.

Also see http://www.milspeccoating.com/Federal-Standard-595-Colors-s/41.htm

Last edited:

zout

Mentioned a while back I would give the Behr paint an honest test - well - M909 nearly all painted up - still have a 3 more gallons to get shot but will do a little scratching on the box before I get it painted up - still have the entire undercarriage to get done.
24052 pulled right up on the Home Depot Paint mixers screeen - got a couple gallons - here is the spray results as far as first looks. I thinned down with water just a tad bit - used the HVLP gun w/1.4 tip and wacked on the air to get a good spread - all this shown is two coats. SO FAR I LIKE IT and its not even my idea either. Lets see what the GA sun has to say about longevity.
Photo2683.jpgPhoto2684.jpgPhoto2685.jpgPhoto2686.jpgPhoto2687.jpgPhoto2688.jpgPhoto2689.jpgPhoto2690.jpgPhoto2691.jpgPhoto2692.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks