• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BEOD Mounting

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just picked up a BEOD (Body, Explosive Ordnance Disposal) and haven't been able to find any documentation on how it's supposed to get mounted into the truck.

Does anyone have any type of documentation for install or even just general documentation on these? I didn't see any in the TMs section, though I might have missed it. Not a common setup for these, an EOD guy I know told me there were maybe 500 or so of this body made in total.

(Mine is missing the seat in it, but it came with the half doors, so major score there)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
okay, talked to my EOD guy, he says there is no type of TM for this, and the install/removal happened at depot level so nothing on that either.
Looks like it's 2 large bolts in the front and 3 in the rear straight down through the truck bed and probably through into the frame in those areas.

I was mostly just wondering if I had to remove the tie downs in the truck first, or just install over them.

dilvoy

okay, talked to my EOD guy, he says there is no type of TM for this, and the install/removal happened at depot level so nothing on that either.
Looks like it's 2 large bolts in the front and 3 in the rear straight down through the truck bed and probably through into the frame in those areas.

I was mostly just wondering if I had to remove the tie downs in the truck first, or just install over them.

I wouldn't think it goes into the frame, just into the cross beams of the body tub.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine, I went out and took a couple pictures. It's dark and raining, and it's sitting on my flatbed truck right now, but here you go.

f95d73e05fb8501f1ede87dfc19448d78325c09c-6.jpg
f95d73e05fb8501f1ede87dfc19448d78325c09c-5.jpg

f95d73e05fb8501f1ede87dfc19448d78325c09c-4.jpg

f95d73e05fb8501f1ede87dfc19448d78325c09c-3.jpg

Came with the 2 half doors, looks like they use the wire door latches instead of the post type, and has the roof rack for over the cab. There was an extra troop strap in there as well, but haven't pulled everything out to see what I'm going to need to make it all work.

Downside is, now I have to find a 2 door soft top, and lose all the space I currently have in the Amtech tall hard top. Good news is, maybe now the heater will feel like it's actually working since I won't be trying to heat up a troop area that's empty and still has a bunch of holes everywhere from the armor removal.
Plan is to put the BEOD onto my M1123 to use as my bad weather work truck. Maybe make it dual purpose, move some of the brackets in there and make enough space to put in a mattress and go camping in it.
Another plus side is I can actually use locks to secure everything with this, though I'll need about 7 or 8 padlocks to do it.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I really need to make this work compared to my current setup is a cab roof, the BEOD seals to the cab in place of the back wall, though wondering how hard it would be to just get a sheet of aluminum and bolt it on top of the cab and add some velcro for the BEOD to fasten to.
We'll see what I come up with.

BLK HMMWV

Holes probably line up with the existing 3 at back of truck bed and 2 about even with the where the 4 man bulkhead would go.
I think the front one is where the tie downs are

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holes probably line up with the existing 3 at back of truck bed and 2 about even with the where the 4 man bulkhead would go.
I think the front one is where the tie downs are
So likely I will need to remove the tie downs. Should probably do that first before trying to fit the box into the truck, as I don't have a forklift or overhead hoist, so it's going to be interesting to install it.

BLK HMMWV

check the spacing and measurements first. I could be blowing smoke.
Might look into a set of those camper jacks so you can lift it up off ground then back under it.
Just an idea.
Have fun with it . it's a cool set up.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check the spacing and measurements first. I could be blowing smoke.
Might look into a set of those camper jacks so you can lift it up off ground then back under it.
Just an idea.
Have fun with it . it's a cool set up.
Yeah, I'll need to do something like that because during the summer I'll want to use it in troop carrier configuration for parades and such when I'm not suing it for work.

BLK HMMWV

I'm trying to figure a way to load and unload a custom doodad I'm making for the bed of mine but it doesn't extend wider then the inside width of the bed.
thinking of building a trailer mount for the doodad that will lift it level to the bed and slide it in . like a drawer slide.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might just find some trees around here and hoist it that way, it's got 4 big eyelets on the top that I can only assume are there for install/removal as they're a lot bigger than needed to tie down however much the roof is rated for.

EODsurplus

I have one of these BEOD boxes. I loaded mine in the back of my M998 and the bolts didn't line up. The springs on the M998 wasn't to happy also. IMG_7847.JPG

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of these BEOD boxes. I loaded mine in the back of my M998 and the bolts didn't line up. The springs on the M998 wasn't to happy also. View attachment 789532
I'm just about ready to install mine.
It looks like the holes for the front brackets will line up, but in the rear I will have to drill 3 holes through the bed to bolt it down.
I have 2 1/2"x2" aluminum bars with holes drilled in them to clamp it down to the bed and frame.

Mine is the 1123 which has the heavy springs in it so I expect mine will like it a little better than yours. Probably can't put much weight in it without the heavy springs and hangars, as the decal on the BEOD puts it almost 7500 lbs GVW when installed.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of these BEOD boxes. I loaded mine in the back of my M998 and the bolts didn't line up. The springs on the M998 wasn't to happy also. View attachment 789532
Did you remove any of the tie down points inside the bed of the truck? Looking at mine it's hard to tell whether they need to be removed or if the unit's frame will sit on top of them. The reason I ask is because just looking at the front mounting brackets, it looks like they are just the right height for the BEOD frame to be resting on the tie downs a little above the actual bed of the truck (and therefore keep it from possibly crushing the raised ribs on the floor of the truck)

EODsurplus

Did you remove any of the tie down points inside the bed of the truck? Looking at mine it's hard to tell whether they need to be removed or if the unit's frame will sit on top of them. The reason I ask is because just looking at the front mounting brackets, it looks like they are just the right height for the BEOD frame to be resting on the tie downs a little above the actual bed of the truck (and therefore keep it from possibly crushing the raised ribs on the floor of the truck)
The front two tie downs that are near the front seats didn't match the two brackets on the BEOD box. I chalked it up that the newer HMMWVs must have different locations for the tie downs. I still have the box but I'm not going to mount it at this time. plus finding the right soft top for the cab is really hard to find.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front two tie downs that are near the front seats didn't match the two brackets on the BEOD box. I chalked it up that the newer HMMWVs must have different locations for the tie downs. I still have the box but I'm not going to mount it at this time. plus finding the right soft top for the cab is really hard to find.
I just got mine on today.
in my truck there were 2 holes in the correct location for mounting the beod, several inches towards the outside of the truck from the tie downs.

The soft top I have on is just a standard 2 man soft top, where the velcro strip is that would connect to the soft top troop cover in back is where the BEOD soft top strip mounted no issues.

So I did end up removing the 3 tie downs at the back of the truck bed, the center one matches up with the center mounting hole for the BEOD.
Those 2 aluminum strips actually go between the hmmwv bed and the BEOD frame to support it a little. It looks like the majority of the weight is actually supported by the truck fender area, and not the frame bottom. One person PM'd me about the possibility of it smashing the ridges of the bed in the truck, but no worries about that.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two with how I managed to get it installed, but the extent of my lifting devices ended up being 2 come-alongs and some straps, using 2 perfectly spaced trees for lift points.

One other note, the deep water fording exhaust ends up being too close to the BEOD and doesn't allow the driver's side doors to roll up. I used a pry bar and a farm jack to reposition it and added about 1" worth or spacers, so now everything clears (though I did end up smashing in the wire guard around the exhaust, but only on the inside portion, so no worries there)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks