• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to haul a mule home.

Jeeptj1

Well i may be picking up the mule with recoiless i mentioned in a previous thread. My question now is what is the best way to get it home. My friend has a trailor that he hauls his race car on. Where would be the best strap places to hold it down at on the body, or the rims with those eye hooks. It is around ten feet long without the recoiless hanging out i believe. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jeeptj1 PLEASE take photos of your big move. You are buying a mule with a VERY RARE accessory, and all of us are interested.

BTW, I can tell you how NOT to move your mule. My first mule was an A5 and I thought I would use my 95 Ford Ranger. Well it fit, (sort of) in the back with the front wheels sitting on the tailgate. Thank goodness I had air shocks on that truck otherwise I would have bottomed out the suspension at every bump. We hog tied it in the back and had no issues on the 300 mile trip home, but the next time I used a full size pickup with a 8' bed. Much easier although it is quite a bit taller than my ranger. Good luck, and we are looking forward to your photos.

FrankUSMC

We have a M274A5 4 wheel steer mule here that we were going to put a 106 recoilless rife on. But after reading about the 4 wheel steer, with the weight of the recoilless rifle, we changes our minds. I was worried about braking axles. I ended up mounting the 106 on a m38A1 jeep (M38A1C).
If your mule has all the 106 parts on it, you are way ahead of the game. It took me about 3 years to find all the parts to build the M38A1C.
Also, in the manual, it shows 3 soldiers taking the 106 off and putting it back into the jeep, it took 3 of us, and an engine hoist to get in on the jeep!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

I hope this link works, so here http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ohio-Ste...Set-Arched-Steel-Loading-Ramps-1084/202324400

I bought this ramp for my F250 pickup and LOVE IT! I welded on some reinforcements on the tabs on the ends as they were starting to bend when I backed my mule loaded with a 560 lb water pump on its back. I remove the tailgate and drilled 4 anchor pin holes in the bed. It is VERY IMPORTANT to use the pins every time as you don't want the ramps going anywhere when you have your mule on them. As tall as my pickup bed is those wide 14" ramps with their traction cleats stamped in them has given me no problems in almost a years use of loading and unloading.

Jeeptj1

Auto shop, thanks for the info. This deal didnt go thru the first time but im more confident about it now. Hoping to bring it home next week on a trailor using the rim eyelets and tie it down any other way i can. Thanks

Be sure to take a half dozen or so heavy duty ratcheting cinch down straps. You may not need all of them, but you probably will find a use for them. Good luck, and PLEASE post photos for us!

Dacoma

I use a 5x8 lawn trailer ran some 2x8 where the tires go and I just drive it up till the front wheels hit the front of the trailer then take 2 ratchets from front tire to anchor point on trailer then to back tire . I take a bigger ratchet and go from trailer across mule deck loop it around trailer side and back over the mule so it forms a v . It works well and I can shut the gate. I've never had to take the foot basket off even though it hangs off the front it doesn't hit my jeep cherokee

fireball

Can only imagine the look on the DOT officers face as he writes you up for a improper tie down, The DOT push for this year 2017 is cargo security

Dacoma

2x 2000lbs straps and 1x 4000lbs strap so unless I am doing a 6g turn I do believe it would be sufficient for normal operation . Now the Arkansas trooper that pulled me over at 3 am for a bad taillight and asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle. And I told him 2 m16 1 m60 m72 law an assortment of grenades and a 81 mm mortar (inert of course but might as well have fun)that was the face I wish I had a camera for

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks