• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big changes in DRMO system

NEIOWA

I have not seen it discussed here but BIG changes in progress in the mil surplus system. DRMS is going thru a reorg and closing most of the DRMOs. Will only be about a dozen left.

As I understand it, all the surplus will be trucked from turnin units to the remaining DRMOs (as now) but rather than "local" yards will be a few Regional sites. From what I know. Columbus Oh (Wright/Pat), Colo Spr (Ft Carson), Tacoma (Ft Lewis) Manhatten Ks (Ft Riley), Ellsworth AFB limited at Sparta, Wi (Ft McCoy). Gone are my locals like Rock Island, Great Lakes, Scott AFB, Duluth, Offutt etc. Not sure what/if anything staying open in Ky/Tn. I think Norfolk stays open. Sam will be spending a fortune on trucking. Bad for me in can't screen/req at local yard and I don't have time to go to Columbus Oh. And have to hire transportation to haul (Fire Dept has no $ for that). Transition has already started and DRMOs will be closing in Mar.

BUT also means govliquidation will not be having auctions in these locations as there will no longer be anything for them to sell. But LOTS of stuff at the few remaining locations. I'm told govliq is not happy. Boohoo.

Overall I think a moronic BS plan by DRMS/DOD.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would not surprise me. we are changing the military day by day. Just heard today good part of NAS FT Worth is closing. If active duty is shutting down, DRMO's are not far behind.

williamh

NEIOWA , why are you using GL. ???? if you are a fire deparment , you should be in the loop BEFORE this stuff goes to GL.

there is a place on the dod site for agencys to request equiment from them before it goes to auction .. first it is offered to other fed. agencys ... than its offered to state agencys .. than to county agencys.... then to non gvmt agencys ..( indians ) than to GL. there should be a place in there for you !!

NEIOWA

Uhh yeah. FEPP is the system for FD - Thru US Forester to State Forester on loan to FD. Only cost is transport, which in itself is a big hurdle. New change, just now going into effect, is FD can requet at DOD level. About damn time. The police have been abusing/stealing the system blind for years for "Drug Enforcement" (they get title then in a few months sell equipment off. FD do not get title we have to account for equipment just like was issued to you by Sam. On loan in other words. Can modify as desired and sell off bits/pieces not req. Such as the 45000lb hydraulic winches from M911.

I'm the largest FEPP user in Iowa and certainly one of the largest in the US. Last 3yr. 5x M911 (2 blew the pack while Forester was driving back to Iowa; for conversion to water tankers), 2x M747 trl (not going to use), 200kw MEP009 gen set (18hr), Brand new portable cascade air trailer, 3kw diesel genset, 9000' 4" hose, 2x 350gpm hoseline pumps, 3x 150psi portable air comp, 1988 IH 1856 4x4 dump truck (now our wildland/brush truck), 600gal pods for water tanker truck, 200' of medium maint tent (garage space), 7.5 ton flatbed trl M1073, 4x M720 dollies, 1x M1022 Dolly. Most recent success was a fully Mayflower moving van of very good fitness equipment (Mayflower picked up at Norfolk and haul to me in Iowa for free. SUPPORT MAYFLOWER VAN LINES THEY ARE GRRRRREAT. I had to get the feds to make a change to policy to allow this. FIRST transfer of fitness equipment from DOD to a FD (#1 killer of firemen - HEARTATTACK). Have to go pickup a 10kw tlr powerplant at Rock Island next week. www.stanleyiowa.com

Oh yeah a BRAND SPANKING NEW, NEVER ERECTED Butler Steel fram building/gonna be a new fire station courtesy of the US Navy @ Great Lakes.

Govliquidation does do one thing pretty well. Lots of photos. Where DRMS does a terrible job. So can figure out what some of the stuff at a DRMO is. The consolidation of DMROs is going to be a major pain in the butt for my fire dept improvement project (nearly completed). But also in looks to have a big impact on govliq. I do, occasionally purchase from govliw where I find something I can make a $ on.

ida34

Go slow on the police accusations please. This may be the case in your area but I am in law enforcement and to the best of my knowledge my department has never taken anything from the system. My old department got two cucv ambulances that they used for swat trucks (most of swat entrys are drug raids). They still have them and use them. I do not know of any other police agencies anywhere near my area that get anything from the system to sell or to use. My local school district has a couple of cucvs and an m880 they use for facility maint. I have heard of LEO agencies getting a few helicopters. They fly one and use the parts off the others to keep the one flying. Sometimes they figure out that buying a new copter is cheaper than maintaining the military equipment so the military copters are sold. I have no direct knowedge of any department do this, I have only heard rumors. Not trying to start a flame but just please don't make those kinds of sweeping statements. These statements make me depressed and I have to eat more chocolate donuts to boost my spirits.

FrankUSMC

Here in North Carolina, on the Marine side.
MCAS Cherry Point will keep it's DRMO, but just down the road Camp Lejeune will be losing it's DRMO.
I was at DRMO here at MCAS Cherry Point today. They told me that at Camp Lejeune, the items that are turned in will be put on pallets and wrapped in plastic and then shipped to Fort Bragg to be sold.
One down side to all of this is, and this has been going on for a while as stuff comes in, if it does not bring "big money" it goes to the scrap bins. I have seen alot of nice stuff go to scrap because Gov Lig. did not want to write it up. I am a retired Marine, but my job now is right down the street from DRMO, so I get to stop in and look. I have saved two trailers from the scrap bins, one was a good M416 jeep trailer. They had it parked next to one of the scrap hoppers, I looked at it thinking they had just unloaded it. The guy told me that it was parked there so he could pick it up and drop it into the hopper. I got that one saved by telling them it would bring over $300 to us collectors (and it did). The other trailer was a 4 wheel dolly trailer that had new jeep tires and rims on it. I got it moved and I got it at the aucution. I keep think ing of stuff that has been crushed that I did not see.
One of the few, Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks