• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest Box for LMTV

deshet

What is the biggest box that can go on the LMTV?

Will the M109 Box fit?

I have seen the custom boxes and I am trying to figure out if that is the best route. I would like a 7' roof.

Thanks,

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not at all trying to be snarky when I ask why not just get an M1079 (unless, of course, you already have an LMTV)? I did the research and decided on that model because it comes with a pretty darn nice box on the rear already, and it's prewired for 110v - all you need is the correct connector. Plus the box is all aluminum to reduce weight.

deshet

I'm not at all trying to be snarky when I ask why not just get an M1079 (unless, of course, you already have an LMTV)? I did the research and decided on that model because it comes with a pretty darn nice box on the rear already, and it's prewired for 110v - all you need is the correct connector. Plus the box is all aluminum to reduce weight.
I agree but the prices seem crazy on the M1079 through the usual sources. I hope to find a box from my m1078.

Thanks

coachgeo

I agree but the prices seem crazy on the M1079 through the usual sources.....
But significantly cheaper than haveing a box of same quality built... EXCEPT..... if you use an Ambulance box. Not military Ambulance..... but a standard county/city Hospital Ambulance. Might take a year but you can find various size Ambulance bodies for up to around 2 grand. with search and waiting... you can get them for less than a grand. Or buy a whole ambulance for a good bit more buttt.. if you have time expertise... sell off the parts left over and get close to net zero in your purchase price. Just be aware you might not stand up fully in it that way though. some are 6 foot inside... some are closer to 5'5"

If your planning to move spare anyway..... a 14 foot box might fit. IMHO that is a complication that may not be worth doing. A 12ft military box or ambulance with addition built onto far end resulting with something that looks like Duckworth's rig is more cost effective.

Last edited:

deshet

But significantly cheaper than having a box of same quality built... EXCEPT..... if you use an Ambulance box. Not military Ambulance..... but a standard county/city Hospital Ambulance. Might take a year but you can find various size Ambulance bodies for up to around 2 grand. with search and waiting... you can get them for less than a grand. Or buy a whole ambulance for a good bit more buttt.. if you have time expertise... sell off the parts left over and get close to net zero in your purchase price. Just be aware you might not stand up fully in it that way though. some are 6 foot inside... some are closer to 5'5"

Now you are going to make me search for pictures of Duckworth's Rig. I am 6' 7" tall and I am hoping to that get something that I can stand up in. The idea of fishing or camping out all weekend seems great. Hoping to make a mobile RV. I have thought about buying a NPR box and using that or a retired U-haul box but I want it to look good. Having a lift gate would be nice.
It seems like the very similar British trucks use a box like the m109....I am primarily interested in those for the height.
Thanks,

tburk49760

I intend to purchase a van box truck and use that. Most are aluminum. Seal off the roll up door and insulate with spray foam. I'm thinking either a 14 or 16 footer. I have no issues with 3 or so feet of rear overhang.

coachgeo

I intend to purchase a van box truck and use that. Most are aluminum. Seal off the roll up door and insulate with spray foam. I'm thinking either a 14 or 16 footer......
Will work awesome. Will be same strength when get done than your average back end of a motorhome or even a travel trailer. If one prefers a stronger box that might reduces cab roof or side crush in a rollover or flop, or they just want more protection for anyone who may be riding in back (which is usually not recommended) then your sorta stuck with a military box or an ambulance. Ambulance box's are certified to carry passengers.

DanM7890

s-280 shelters were designed to be mounted on an LMTV with a perfect fit. I would be weary on picking a box higher than that unless you take the bed off and mount it directly to the frame.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
s-280 shelters were designed to be mounted on an LMTV with a perfect fit. I would be weary on picking a box higher than that unless you take the bed off and mount it directly to the frame.
I second that and I don't even have one. At one of the rallies someone had the government built type for the LMTV and guys that had driven them said they felt like a rollover crash waiting to happen. After seeing it drive around the camp I can see why. Put something even taller on the truck and it sure won't get better.

IMHO

deshet

I think it depends on the area and how the truck will be used. Around my area is mainly mud. No rocks to crawl or mountains.

I wish we could post links. But the British army has a very similar truck with a box that seems taller.

I also saw a 5 ton with a bed that expanded up into three sections, not out to the sides. An older guy was showing it off on youtube it looked like the government built the box and he did the interior. At this point I am exploring all of the options I would like to be able to at least stand up straight.

Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it depends on the area and how the truck will be used. Around my area is mainly mud. No rocks to crawl or mountains.
My rollover comment was referring to flat pavement turning corners from a stop sign or anything with it moving. ;-)

deshet

I can't say that I ever driven an LMTV but I have been around a decent amount of them. I can't see how a 1500 pound box could make it that unstable.

These are designed for 19-25 young army guys I don't think they could be that top heavy. Are you joking or being serious? You almost make it sound like an Iszuz Troop II or Bronco II. Any idea of the overall height with the s280 box?

I would guess that most of the weight is in the base of these boxes not evenly distributed or towards the top.

Thanks

DanM7890

I can't say that I ever driven an LMTV but I have been around a decent amount of them. I can't see how a 1500 pound box could make it that unstable.

These are designed for 19-25 young army guys I don't think they could be that top heavy. Are you joking or being serious? You almost make it sound like an Iszuz Troop II or Bronco II. Any idea of the overall height with the s280 box?

I would guess that most of the weight is in the base of these boxes not evenly distributed or towards the top.

Thanks
Ive driven my LMTV empty and another one with a s280 on it and you can feel the difference. The biggest difference is the air hitting the front of the box slowing you down and secondly you'll feel it during the turn because the CG is higher. The box doesn't have all its weight in the bottom, it's distributed over the entire box because of its construction to be used on a train, vehicle, or to be airlifted with straps. I have three shelters currently if someone is looking for one.

edit: An empty box is 1500#, a fully loaded one is 3000+ once you get a camper built. At this point most of the weight will be low, be I still recommend taking off the bed and mounting it to the frame to make the CG about the same or better than a M1079.

Last edited:

deshet

I appreciate all of the comments and insight from everyone.
The thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around is how 3000 pounds can actually affect the stability of a class 6 truck. I understand slight understand 3000 pounds being something that you are aware similar to a 25' boat behind a diesel F350; you no it is there but it doesn't effect the truck capabilities enough to mention.
I have owned internationals 4700 and 4900. Excursions, C4500, C5500 and F450's and it would be hard for 3000 pounds to affect the stability of any of these trucks. My single cab F450 4x4 has a 12 tall steel box and a 20,000 winch up front on a steel bumper and it always seems stable although has tons of weight hanging off the front and rear. I understand the kite effect that the box has with the wind but that effects all trucks the same way that don't have wind deflectors. Is it possible that some are confusing the characteristics of a loaded truck vs an unloaded truck with instability. These trucks were meant to be driven by young inexperienced drivers, I don't think they would have such high success in the Army if they could not endure a lot of abuse, overloading, improper loading, and plain reckless driving. I can only imagine the obstacles that this truck had to complete before it could be added to the Military operational inventory. (I have seen enough on Youtube and heard about enough on Ft. Bragg)
I have spent most of my life around the military and know that MOV see a lot of abuse especially when leadership isn't watching.

I guess I will find out in the near term.

Thanks

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember the bed height is 5'. That's a lots higher than a lot of commercial trucks, add in soft suspension for off road and you learn quickly cog effects it a lot. Many FMTV also have a roll gauge in them to help prevent roll overs. The mil has rolled a ton of these trucks. Also they are geared low and snappy turning corners from a stop

metalman99

I have this M1087a1 box. it's the only one GP has sold, you can look it up there. I'll probably list it in the classifieds soon, i'm keeping the truck, but selling the box. It has a/c, etc.

ke5eua

I have this M1087a1 box. it's the only one GP has sold, you can look it up there. I'll probably list it in the classifieds soon, i'm keeping the truck, but selling the box. It has a/c, etc.

That's the upgraded epando van. Nice design but due to interior size differences some 934s couldn't be converted over to use them.

We begged general dynamics when those first came out to retrofit for our aging 934s but instead they just did a rest on our beat up 934s.

Also that box is bolted to the fmtv, not a lmtv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks