• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Dog Customs - Reverse Light Kit

The_Captain

I bought the reverse light kit from Blackdog Customs which comes with a harness to run power to the back. All hooked up, used the kit to grab power from wire 21 per the instructions...but the reverse light will only come on if the lights are in Service Drive. 21 looks to be the service taillights so that makes sense.

Any of the wires to the tail lights have power when in Stop Light mode, that don't go through the stop light switch or turn signal switch?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled power for mine from the front of the truck at the horn, as it has power in either stop or service positions.
Just got to make sure you pull power from the correct side or the horn will meep whenever you are in reverse.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the reverse light kit from Blackdog Customs which comes with a harness to run power to the back. All hooked up, used the kit to grab power from wire 21 per the instructions...but the reverse light will only come on if the lights are in Service Drive. 21 looks to be the service taillights so that makes sense.

Any of the wires to the tail lights have power when in Stop Light mode, that don't go through the stop light switch or turn signal switch?
They don’t come on in the stop light position? I drive in the first position during the day so I have turn signals and brake lights. I would think it would work in that position also. I have and installed this same kit and I was impressed with the quality of it. I need to run wires from the shifter to the rear end but I was waiting to get lights and do it all at once.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

The short answer is NO. I check the trailer connector and USA standard show no juice there to do the job.

I just watch the Black Doggie video and the way I understand it and what you say is correct. They tap into the rear #21 lead (SERVICE DRIVE) which is the "MARKER" lamps. Then up their harness, to switch and switch back to the "back-up" lights of choice to ground.

That said (and I could be wrong) but right about this... there's not an easy "tap" to power source with the design and request you are after.

A little rework would be in order from the switch to said horn circuit to allow your light work the way you want? Simple enough... at the switch run the "horn power connection to where the #21 wire connects and do away with the tap and wire going to the switch. OR send the #21 wire forward to the Horn Hot circuit.

Like I said... Could be wrong, BUT check the TM Schematic and proceed with knowldge. CAMO

Last edited:

The_Captain

From a usability perspective, I'm totally fine with the reverse coming on with the headlights only. I was concerned about needing reverse lights for PA inspection but now that I'm reading the regulation, I dont see them as required.

I like the harness with the Blackdog and no splicing into anything needed, so I think I'm just going to let it ride.

papakb

Picking up horn power is one way to power the backup lights what I did was to pick up power from the shifter legend marker lights (40) , This gave me the option to leave them off if I wanted to by leaving the dash lights off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you buy a reverse light kit why is of any use unless it works every time you put it in reverse? Backup lights are a safety item, just find a way to wire it hot when in the run position, I wire ALL my safety related lights and the horn to work when you would least expect them to save your life.

The brake lights and horn work if the run switch is on or not, the turn signals etc. work any time the run switch is on.

EDIT, also no matter what position the light switch is in.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picking up horn power is one way to power the backup lights what I did was to pick up power from the shifter legend marker lights (40) , This gave me the option to leave them off if I wanted to by leaving the dash lights off.
You still have to turn on the light switch

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, let me set this up, a guy is driving a HMMWV down the highway, and only because he has a switch in the wrong position the brake lights do not come on when he is faced with an emergency, the 80,000lb 18 wheeler behind him takes a few seconds to realize the HMMWV is slowing down at a rapid pace but it is TOO late to be able to react in time, he rear ends the HMMWV, kills the driver, his wife and their two kids, then careens across the center line and hits 6 other vehicles killing 4 more people and injuring 7.
THIS does not help our public image at all!
MOGMAN OUT!!!

The_Captain

If you buy a reverse light kit why is of any use unless it works every time you put it in reverse? Backup lights are a safety item, just find a way to wire it hot when in the run position, I wire ALL my safety related lights and the horn to work when you would least expect them to save your life.

The brake lights and horn work if the run switch is on or not, the turn signals etc. work any time the run switch is on.

EDIT, also no matter what position the light switch is in.
Curious how you have yours set up. How are you bypassing the light switch?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use separately fused leads to power the circuits, one for the brake lights and horn (unswitched) and one for the turn signals (switched)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks