• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackest matte black

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLACK 2.0 - The world’s mattest, flattest, black art material by Stuar – Culture Hustle USA

Granted, it's expensive. Though they do give a discount between sizes, so maybe they would give a discount for volume.

What I'm wondering is, would it be looking for trouble or just plain stupid to paint a vehicle a paint that absorbs 98% of the light? 3d objects basically look like 2d. On a road without lights and no moon, it might look like your reflectors are floating in the air. I wouldn't black out the legally required reflectors, I'm not trying to make a stealth vehicle.

I kinda want to experiment, with my humvee (which is a bit of a beater), so it's not like I'm ruining a $4k paint job.

Opinions?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLACK 2.0 - The world’s mattest, flattest, black art material by Stuar – Culture Hustle USA

Granted, it's expensive. Though they do give a discount between sizes, so maybe they would give a discount for volume.

What I'm wondering is, would it be looking for trouble or just plain stupid to paint a vehicle a paint that absorbs 98% of the light? 3d objects basically look like 2d. On a road without lights and no moon, it might look like your reflectors are floating in the air. I wouldn't black out the legally required reflectors, I'm not trying to make a stealth vehicle.

I kinda want to experiment, with my humvee (which is a bit of a beater), so it's not like I'm ruining a $4k paint job.

Opinions?
Better have a good air conditioner because in the daytime the sucker would get super hot!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted my M923A2 and M715 matte "Tricorn" black. It's a house paint from Sherwin-Williams, and even without the super dark paint, they disappear at night.

20230221_185425.jpg

Imagine those vehicles on a black top road (and clean!). Thats why I added extra marker/blinker lights, LEDs and... other... lights.

20230221_190408.jpg

20230221_190540.jpg

(Of course I don't drive with the upper lights, but they're nice to have).

As far as the temp goes, it's really no different than any other CARC paint that I've noticed. Neither one run hotter than before.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking further into this, there have been 2 cars painted with these super absorbing light paints. However, both were done as publicity stunts and probably never drove more than a few miles in perfect conditions.

BMW painted a car with Vantablack, which is not even available to the public, and a youtube channel called dipyourcar used a paint called Musou Black on a car with an underlayment meant to be peeled off.

Between Musou Black and Black 3.0, Musou seems to be of better quality, but neither is recommended for a car and are considered rather fragile.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking further into this, there have been 2 cars painted with these super absorbing light paints. However, both were done as publicity stunts and probably never drove more than a few miles in perfect conditions.

BMW painted a car with Vantablack, which is not even available to the public, and a youtube channel called dipyourcar used a paint called Musou Black on a car with an underlayment meant to be peeled off.

Between Musou Black and Black 3.0, Musou seems to be of better quality, but neither is recommended for a car and are considered rather fragile.
Vantablack:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was painting my Deuce a few years ago and wanted the flattest OD green I could get and after spraying a fender and letting it dry I saw immediately that it was not going to work at all. It was so flat that the paint was almost a bit porous and the first dirt, dust mud whatever contaminant hit that paint it was going to be there forever! I ended up going with a bit of shine but the paint is impervious to normal contaminants!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out here the only thing automotive painted flat black is radiators.

Otherwise your heat absorption wold be off the charts, as just seat covers can get to 160F in the 9 months of Summer.
We got 180 degree temps on a black seat over a weekend in April when we were testing some early laptops for use in the company service trucks. The computers were supposed to be able to handle 190, they didn't. BTW, SC gets a lot hotter than what we have in April - July and August are usually the worst.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aeroglaze Z306 or Z307
What is the difference between Aeroglaze Z306 and Aeroglaze Z307?

Aeroglaze Z307 is conductive, while Aeroglaze Z306 is not. Conductive paints are used to provide EMI (electromagnetic interference) or RFI (radio frequency interference) shielding to a product.

I think I'll stick with Z306. Z306 absorbs 99.1% of the light. Vantablack 99.96%.

Here's an interesting article on conductive paints. My first thought was to wonder how well they would work against an EMP pulse.

Found a comparison video of Z306 vs Vantablack.

If you really want to nerd-out, here's a comparison of 4 industry light absorbing blacks.

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used that conductive paint, both Carbon- and Silver-based.

It makes crowded transmitter sites easier to occupy without interference hassles.

The Carbon works OK, but the Ohm/SqCm is not as low as the silver type.

The last gallon of the Silver was just over $5,000, but after application it was still cheaper than furring the walls, using Copper screen, then sheetrock & paint.

It covered all the interior walls of an 800 SqFt building, 3 suites.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been using this as a CARC substitute forever now, holds up well in the weather. Super flat black, available at any SW store. SW Kem Lustral F65 B 50.jpg

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little off topic, but I found a paint called Singularity Black that is nanotube based like Vantablack. SB, however, is available to anyone. The process involves heating the paint to 120C after application. It works great on fabric, so, if you want to dress like a ninja...

Like some of the other paints here, it wouldn't be suitable for painting a vehicle.

CenterMass762

Little off topic, but I found a paint called Singularity Black that is nanotube based like Vantablack. SB, however, is available to anyone. The process involves heating the paint to 120C after application. It works great on fabric, so, if you want to dress like a ninja...

Like some of the other paints here, it wouldn't be suitable for painting a vehicle.
9"x9" of coverage for $525. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks