Bluetooth Cellphone to VIC-3 Adapter Is Here!

Augi

Hi All,

I've been working on making a better adapter box that uses Bluetooth to connect the cellphone to the VIC-3 as a replacement for the wired design of five years ago and I've finally completed the prototype. Now I can make calls and listen to music or directions on the go in my HMMWV wirelessly.

If there is interest I'll make a small run for the group.

This new box connects to the VIC-3 head unit via a CX-13473 or CX-13489 cable (not included) to the Radio A or Radio B port, the same as the old one. Set your crew box "work" knob the appropriate radio and key your headset to talk.

Here are the new features:

- Bluetooth connectivity to the phone is the obvious one.
- There is now sidetone in your ears when you talk.
- Now other people on the intercom with you can hear your side of the conversation. Previously everyone on the intercom could hear the incoming audio but only the person on the other end of the phone call could hear the outgoing audio.

I will need 1-2 months to do the manufacturing run. The price will be $165 + $15 for USPS flat rate shipping, due at time of shipping.

For those of you with a VIC-1: I got a setup to test with and unfortunately these will NOT work with VIC-1.

Augi

Attachments

Last edited:

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already have one of your other VIC3 adapters, but I would love to have one of these too. When they are available I will definitely get one.

Augi

Ok, I've got enough interest so I'm going to do the run.

Unfortunately these will NOT work with VIC-1.

I'll contact everyone when they are ready.

Augi

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So for now the only option for VIC-1 is to be hard wired with your legacy box? Is there a way to connect blue tooth with a VIC-1 like a different circuit board and if so are there plans to pursue one?

Augi

So for now the only option for VIC-1 is to be hard wired with your legacy box? Is there a way to connect blue tooth with a VIC-1 like a different circuit board and if so are there plans to pursue one?
Correct, you must use the legacy box.

The problem is something to do with the power supply from the AM1780 to my box. The old box does not need the power supply so it works fine. Some time I may be able to solve it but I'm not sure when that will be.

Augi

Wire Fox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received as well! Per my usual experience, the first thing I did was pop open a case and take a look at your handiwork! Haven't actually tested it out yet, but I appreciate your quality construction. Out of curiosity, did you do any custom programming to the bluetooth modules, or should I expect to to show up for pairing as the default "BT SPEAKER"?

Augi

Received as well! Per my usual experience, the first thing I did was pop open a case and take a look at your handiwork! Haven't actually tested it out yet, but I appreciate your quality construction. Out of curiosity, did you do any custom programming to the bluetooth modules, or should I expect to to show up for pairing as the default "BT SPEAKER"?

Thanks! This was a fun project for sure.

I did flash settings on the BT module. It'll show up as "VIC-3" in your pairing list.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks