• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M35a2 with 1400x20's on stock wheels?

We are in the process of bobbing an M35a2 for a good friend. He wants to mount 1400x20 Good Years on the stock M35 wheels. Will these tires work with the front end with steering, hitting, etc? I've mounted 395's on M35's with no issues but not sure about the 1400x20 setup. It's going to be mainly a tar baby so no crazy spring deflection, etc.

Thanks,
Andy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would not mount those tires on deuce rims.....way too narrow. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You may also have clearance issues....I think there are some threads addressing this issue.

Best bet is to use re-centered HEMMT rims so you can go tubeless and have the tires fit properly.

Agreed on the stock wheels but thats what he wants to do right now until he can save up for the modified hemmt wheels.

Does anyone have personal experience with this setup?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would not mount those tires on deuce rims.....way too narrow. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You may also have clearance issues....I think there are some threads addressing this issue.

Best bet is to use re-centered HEMMT rims so you can go tubeless and have the tires fit properly.

Actually, they are a better fit than the 395s. The 1400 is a narrow tire in comparison and easier to put on. One of our members in Dayton built a bobber with 1400s on stock rims. I don't remember him saying they rubbed. Let me see if I can find his pics.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With these huge tires on, the truck looks like it can only go straight! Hard to believe that the tires fit into the wheel well at the front. Obviously, they do fit, after all.
Certainly a tire size where you want your fuel turned up and the brakes well adjusted! :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Funny story about that! After Mat got his truck back from getting "bobbed", he called me up and said the brakes were HORRIBLE. I knew for a fact they were not as Kip and I went through the brakes before selling that truck. Once I got up there and looked over the truck, I saw the problem. The guy that shortened the truck ran the 2 air lines for the glad-hands into eachother!
Once I got them apart and capped off, the brakes started working again, go figure. Don't assume that the person working on your truck knows what they are doing, just because they own a "shop".

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an undersized spare on my truck too. If you are smart, you don't need a full size spare.
Options (choose one):

• Inflate undersized tire until it is as big as the other tires
  • put undersized tire on front, correct sized tires on drive axle and do not engage the front diff
  • put undersized tire on rear, remove rear drive shaft, engage front diff and drive home in a FWD truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks