• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber bed to cab gap

joshs1ofakindxj

I'm about to start mounting my M105 springs to my deuce frame and I wanted to verify something before I begin drilling holes this weekend.

I'm hoping to use the measurements and existing holes for mounting as outlined on the XM381 website.

Will centering the bed on the axle, based on those dimensions, leave enough room between the bed and the cab for a convoy light mast and the bed cover at the same time?

I also have a small 3/8" stand off spacer pushing my convoy light mast out from the cab to clear the soft top on the cab.

I just wanted to check if I needed to shift everything back before I started mounting the springs.

Thanks for any input.

oddshot

Sorry to take so long to get to you, I was looking for a thread that might help you and just found it today.

Glad to see that you are using this site: http://www.xm381.com/xm381/Home.html as a guide for the job. The information and pictures there are a great help.

Two things that I felt very important when i bobbed my M35A2: bed to cab space, and getting the tailgate to lie flat and proper against the bumperettes when it is opened.

My bed to cab gap is 3 and 1/2 inches.

BTW, the fotos found in post #23 of this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66077-bobbing-1st-deuce/page3

show a modification you have to make to the bed that is very important. Without trimming your bed in the manner shown will make it impossible to get a that 3 1/2 inch gap.

Unfortunately I do not have any idea of how much room you will need to fit a convoy light. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to start mounting my M105 springs to my deuce frame and I wanted to verify something before I begin drilling holes this weekend.

I'm hoping to use the measurements and existing holes for mounting as outlined on the XM381 website.

Will centering the bed on the axle, based on those dimensions, leave enough room between the bed and the cab for a convoy light mast and the bed cover at the same time?

I also have a small 3/8" stand off spacer pushing my convoy light mast out from the cab to clear the soft top on the cab.

I just wanted to check if I needed to shift everything back before I started mounting the springs.

Thanks for any input.

You need some space between cab and bed,(convoy light, or pulling cover down over 105 bed, or room to cinch up the cab soft top if used).
I used front deuce springs.
Lengthened the driveshaft 5.75" to get axle centered in wheel well.
No hacking of M105 bed needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

jatonka

I was the first to make the XM381 shorty in 2001, since then, you all know everyone does the same thing but different. I lengthened the drive shaft 9 and 3/4" and set the 105 bed centered over the new axle position. The longer wheel base makes for a much more stable ride and better control in inclement weather. Also leaves room for the pioneer tool set and a fuel can holder between cab and bed. Just my way of doing things, it's your choice. JT out

jake1086

I just mounted mine this last week, and I had around 6 inches of gap, however, I did make mine slightly longer than the popular tutorial says to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks