• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bondo Deuce, topless Deuce, bob time

whyme

Been up to quite a bit on the truck lately, among the many projects Has been to get the truck preped for fresh paint, unfortunately it looks like it's going to be far more involved than I had anticipated. The rot is more extensive than can be seen until I started using the wire wheel to get the loose rust off and I have discovered numerous patches and covered over rot below as much as 1/4 of body filler. I'm kind of surprised the army even bothered with filler, why not just cut and patch?

Also had a chance to do one of the knuckle boots and oil lines to the IP (unfortunately still leaks :-( but haven't pinpointed why yet) also as it turns out Saturn sent me spindle bushings instead of king pin bushings, so that was a bit of a setback.

Finally I have made the decision to Bob the truck, the recent discovery of a pristine m105 less than 3 miles away helped my choice a bit. The owner is asking 800 which frankly is insulting given no tarp but his employee said he'd easily go 600. Given the GL cost and recovery cost I'll break about even at 5 so all and all not bad, selling my bed, troop seats, and tarp should net me a little gain.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good. Have you priced out a used fender? I have not bought one for years, but they used to be reasonable. Check with JATONKA in upstate NY. He might have one.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good. Have you priced out a used fender? I have not bought one for years, but they used to be reasonable. Check with JATONKA in upstate NY. He might have one.
Bruce is totally right. Fenders can be had cheap. I wouldn't even think of fixing that one.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what are the going prices for them? i was also thinkin about just getting different fenders when i decide to paint mine.... seems easier than doing body work if they were not too expensive.

whyme

My first thought was to replace it until I saw the prices at northeastern surplus and the likes, besides shipping would be painful and I'm on a very tight budget. If I can find one within an hour or so of me id go get it if it was cheap enough

jasonjc

I'm kind of surprised the army even bothered with filler, why not just cut and patch?
When I was in the army I tryed to get the support maintenance to weld some patches on a trailer. They said it was A) too far gone (I did not think it needed much work) and B) they could NOT do any welding because the safty officer would not let them.

whyme

got caught up on the inner axle seal on this side and spent the better part of the day getting it out. the regular seal puller was no match for this at all so i fabbed a quick puller that failed miserablyc(underestimated the forces at play. my second attempt was much stronger and worked well. i must say though, this was in there very very tight.

Attachments

Last edited:

whyme

thanks but im going to try and re use mine, ill replace the fender if i can find one local but changing out the tub isnt somthing i want to get into right now. cab top is another issue all together, sadly thats not in the budget at this point either...

started raining so in for the night, decided to do an inventory of what ive done so far and what ive got parts for in the garage at the moment:

#5 injector line replaced
IP delivery valve screw replaced
master cylinder replaced
Brake booster replaced
Horn fixed
headlight replaced
turn signal replaced
winch removed, fixed, and reinstalled
winch input shaft seal replaced
fuel and oil filters changed
oil changed
IP oil lines replaced
various zerks lubed
tightened bolts along driveline
mirrors
wipers upgraded
12v alt installed
12v battery installed
streamlight lightbox installed
minor paint and rust dealt with
fixed broken bow
installed draft tube
rerouted axle vents
adjusted brakes
blead brakes
new batteries installed
e brake cable
replaced lost lug nuts/bud nuts
knuckle boots, king pin bushings, inner and outer seals, spindle bushings, wheel cylinder rebuild kits, all new brake lines, greased and torqued bearings.
fabbed bull bar
fabbed overhead light rack
purchased aux lights

and i know im missing things...

Last edited:

whyme

reached a milestone yesterday, removed the bed!!! reality of what im doing is setting in and i like it!!
ive also added a few more problems to my laundry list; found a few leaks in the return lines and fuel leaking around the filters and IP, i also have an oil leak at the IP and it seems ot be the gaskets so i guess i will attempt a rebuild. the steering is a tad squirmy as well and it seems like the shaft from the steering box to the Pittman arm is moving a little so ill be replacing the bushings at some point.

the 105 trailer near me fell through as the owner wanted alot more than i was willing to pay for it so i won one from drum. i hope to find a left fender somewhere along my route from buffalo to ft. Drum so if anyone has any leads please PM me the info.

Attachments

whyme

well did some rust management and got the cab primed and base coat of paint on. It was a last second decision to go black but ive got a few choices from here; on one hand i like the look of night camo (black, gray, white) but im very inclined to do a Vietnam tribute and use the stars and markings from that era. i understand the purist philosophy and i agree with honoring the trucks past and the men it served with, besides i want it recognizable as a military truck but i also want it my own so this is the route im going.

so far i like it but its got a ways to go. upholstery is next as is the rest of the interior, im thinking a gray for that. id like to find a soft top and associated hardware.

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bondo Deuce

Good job! You're doing it right the first time, I need to do maintainance on mine. This might be the fire under me to get started, Thanks

whyme

thanks for the compliments!

ive got two tires on the 105 thats coming to me that will get me by and ill be in the market for some 395's or 14.00's soon.

started the interior

camera color is a tad off, the interior paint is a simple gray primer sealer. i choose it because its easy to deal with and gives me a bit of contrast. data plates will be going back on and the windshield will be painted when i do some touch up to the exterior. seats are out and getting redone. floor pans will be bed liner.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks