• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Botched Cargo Cover Repair

I am so mad right now! aua
In the spring I took my cargo cover out of storage only to find that a rodent had chewed a hole through the center of it. While I was angry at the time, the hole was not in the worst spot in the world so I dealt with it all summer.

I should note here that I have a 3 piece vinyl cargo cover (like an old canvas with separate end curtains) and while I am not claiming it is rare or extremely valuable, I have yet to come across another one like it online or otherwise.

A couple weeks ago I took the cover off and started looking for places that repair vinyl. Found a place that does custom interiors, boat covers, tonneau covers and upholstery. Talked to a guy who worked there and he said bring it in, it would be no problem for them to do the repair and it would cost under $50 bucks. Sounded great, so I brought it over to them (a 1 hour drive). Myself and two of the guys behind the counter spent nearly 20 minutes trying to match up colors and material samples to my cover. I expressed to them that it was very important that the patch be as close in color as possible. We eventually found something that came pretty close but was a few shades darker. One of the guys (the owner) said "yeah that's a pretty close match, and I have that stuff in stock so we won't need to wait for it".

Great! Looks like I'm in good hands I thought as I confidently walked out the door and drove home.

The next evening I got a call from one of the guys "Your cover is done and it came to $45 even" he said.
WOW that was fast, and cheaper than I had planned! My wife goes to school in the next town over from this shop so she agreed to pick it up for me, when I got home today I took it out of the back of her car to check it out...

FIRST absolutely NO EFFORT was made to match the color of my cover. Yes I understand that they could not find the correct color but I would have settled for SOMETHING remotely in the vicinity of green. **** didn't we find a color that was pretty close on the counter?
This material is black, no maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. Nope. BLACK!
And while I am not doubting the quality of the material It sticks out like sore thumb and was nothing close to what we discussed.

SECOND, the inside patch looks like it was done by a fifth grade home economics class. Horrible looking, but at least IT came out green...

THIRD, whatever adhesive was used on the patch must not have been dry when someone hastily and lazily crumpled the cover up to make it easy to carry. There is very sticky adhesive in spots up to 12" around the patch, looks like that will be fun to clean.

It is obvious to me that this job was not very important to them, yeah I guess my cover isn't the biggest job they have done but as I tried to explain to them it is very valuable and important to me. Can't think of another time a business has completely ignored my requests and wen't ahead and did their own **** thing just to hurry it out the door.

I emailed them explaining my dissatisfaction but I will no allow anyone at that shop to touch it again.

I guess I can chalk it up to getting what you pay for. I will pics of the repair when I have settled down enough to look at the cover again...

Attachments

rustystud

You should post the name of this company so no one else gets burned like you did. Once word starts getting out about the crappy work they do maybe they will "straighten out and fly right" !

goldneagle

The cargo covers I have seen in camo looked like they were just spray painted over. Just use a vinyl primer and spray a bit of Rapco CARC substitute paint over the area. I have done it before and it works great! (Had to patch a missing vent in the back of the cargo cover) I used a piece of vinyl from a shower pan liner (used under cement when installing tiles on the floor of the shower) HD has it by the foot.

Another option is to find someone that does air brushing and have him blend in the spot.

Flyingvan911

Our local tarp shop has a vinyl tape with adhesive on one side. Just clean the area around the hole. Cut the length you need and stick it on. It is very strong. For a pin hole I just use a piece on one side. For a larger hole or tear I use a piece on both sides. I can't remember the name of it but I'm sure a Google search will bring up some good stuff.

brianp454

My truck is desert tan with a vinyl top and I've been hoping to find an extra (damaged and unserviceable, yet can cut patches off of it). I've been told that you can use rubber cement and it works well. I have a couple small holes and thin spots where it has worn such as the reinforced strips over the bows.

I also need a hunk of the rubber cord as one recently broke. It's always something...

goldneagle

My truck is desert tan with a vinyl top and I've been hoping to find an extra (damaged and unserviceable, yet can cut patches off of it). I've been told that you can use rubber cement and it works well. I have a couple small holes and thin spots where it has worn such as the reinforced strips over the bows.

I also need a hunk of the rubber cord as one recently broke. It's always something...
The vinyl shower base liner at Home Depot would be perfect for your application. It is about 3 feet wide and sold by the foot. It is grey in color.

Since my email was ignored and there was no attempt at an apology or explanation I will go ahead and name the shop "Superior Interiors" in Hooksett NH.
I'll get a couple pics of the repair tomorrow.

loosescrews

Oh ****, I'd be pissed too. That's just not right. Once you get the cover mounted you should be able to put a bit of behr on it. A very light wiping with MEK should remove the adhesive, but follow it up with a dry lint free towel directly after. It's too bad they couldn't do it right the first go around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks