• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A M275 Need some guidance

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok as you can tell from my join date and post count I don't post much and I apologize if these questions are covered elsewhere, but my search-fu has come up with nothing to answer them.
I have a chance at an M275 with a bad 2nd-3rd gear set in the transmission and I need "guru tutelage" (gurutelage?) from the masters at Steel Soldiers so here goes.

The truck is supposed to still run good and still drive in first and reverse so I can move it around until it is fixed properly. Body and frame on this truck is the best I have seen in the last year of looking at trucks and I am really hoping I can source a nice take out trans. asap or even a good source for parts to fix it myself if I have to. I have never done one of these trannys, but am very mechanically inclined and am pretty sure between my brother and I we could get it rebuilt if needed.
It has had a hard top added and it is in excellent shape. All of the trailer brake stuff is there as well, though it does need most tires replaced.

It was a brush truck for a while so the fifth wheel and ramps were removed and a nice flatbed was bolted onto the frame. Nothing was cut off and I am pretty sure I can return it to a tractor with a minimum of fuss which I think is what I want to do if it is worth pursuing due to rarity of truck.. Supposedly nothing else was removed from the truck.

So here are the questions I am hoping I can get answered from the great MV gurus on this site. I am sure I will have a lot more before I am done.

What is the availability of good used transmissions for the deuce? I am assuming it would still be the 3053A trans. in this one.
If I can't get a good used one locally (fingers crossed on this!) how hard are they to rebuild? How expensive to rebuild?
How difficult will it be sourcing a fifth wheel and ramps for one of these?
Is it worth getting one of these with a broken trans. and hope for the best?

The fuel tank on this is under the driver door and is a 100 gallon (just a guess) with no spare tire holder in the normal spot. There is a double air tank set where the normal fuel tank is on a regular deuce. Is this normal for an M275 or is this a special setup? The owner said this is how they received it from the military when they got it. Not sure of the year or if rebuilt at some time. Didn't see any extra tags on dash, but didn't have a lot of time to look it over real well.
That will come with next trip (negotiation phase).
Thanks for reading my ramblings if you have made it this far!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel tank is in the correct location (45 gallon) and so are the air tanks. No spare on the tractor. The fifth wheel is the same as 5 ton excluding the 900 series. The ramps for the back of the frame are difficult to find on the loose. The catwalk can be fabricated, but the quarter fenders attached to it would be tricky.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the ramps be the same as on a 5 ton? The fenders I believe I could use aftermarket until I find the right ones.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Would the ramps be the same as on a 5 ton? The fenders I believe I could use aftermarket until I find the right ones?
No, the deuce has a shorter tail frame, so deuce ramps extend over the rear cross member.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel tank is in the correct location (45 gallon) and so are the air tanks. No spare on the tractor. The fifth wheel is the same as 5 ton excluding the 900 series. The ramps for the back of the frame are difficult to find on the loose. The catwalk can be fabricated, but the quarter fenders attached to it would be tricky.
The tank on this one is twice as long as a normal fuel tank. It looks as if maybe 2 might have been put together to make 1 large tank, only has 1 fill port on top though and doesn't look as if a hole was patched. Were they ever issued with a larger fuel tank or could this be a one off fuel tank?

Last edited:

RAYZER

The tank on this one is twice as long as a normal fuel tank. It looks as if maybe 2 might have been put together to make 1 large tank, only has 1 fill port on top though and doesn't look as if a hole was patched. Was they ever issued with a larger fuel tank or could this be a one off fuel tank?
That is the proper tank.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel base on the m275 is shorter than the m35a2.
A used trans can be had for $200.00.
Good luck!
Yes, I am aware of the much shorter wheelbase and that is a plus. I have been looking for a candidate to bob, but like the rare factor of the tractor and would prefer to return it to a tractor. I see a lot more regular deuces as opposed ti the "tractors".

Any leads to a trans. or a truck being parted? If I can get one for that or even twice that then I will be picking the truck up this week. I guess it may be time for a "parts wanted ad"

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman has one for sale in the classifieds!
Yes I do....PM me an email addy and I'll send you some pics. Mine has never been butchered and is prob 95 percent original.
I really want it to go to someone that will completely restore it and give it the love it needs.
I have a bum knee and can no longer do the clutch thing.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I do....PM me an email addy and I'll send you some pics. Mine has never been butchered and is prob 95 percent original.
I really want it to go to someone that will completely restore it and give it the love it needs.
I have a bum knee and can no longer do the clutch thing.
Sent a pm to you. thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tractor tank is the same capacity as the rest of the tanks, just longer and thinner. Changing the in tank pump can be a pain. I've owned an M275 and an M275A2. I put well over 15,000 miles on the A2. Cool truck. Some days I wish I had kept it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks