• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M49 in Sisseton, SD need it moved to near Sharon, ND

sorensonsc

Not sure where to post this. Already posted in Need Transportation.

I bought a M49 that has been used as a water tanker. Doesn't run. Need to get it moved to just outside Sharon, ND from the BIA Roads yard in Sisseton, SD. No rush. It's about a 150 miles. Can either go I 29 or back roads. I don't think my Expedition will pull it, but I may have to resort to that. Getting towing quotes in the 2k-3k range. For 150 miles? Any help or advise would be appreciated. Or if you know anyone who might help.
Thanks

P.S.
Moving it to an old Air Force Missile Alert Facility.
Anyone know if I run a compressor to air up the air tanks will the brakes work.
Tow straps or tow bars?

Monkeyboyarmy

Brakes are hydraulic, air assisted. So no need to air up the truck although the you would need to apply much more pedal pressure to obtain the same braking with the assist working. Typically the brake fluid leaks off on these trucks while sitting so there is a chance that it doesnt have any brakes. If it does have brakes, and you decide to tow or move it, check brake fluid level under the floor on the driver's side. They came from the factory with DOT5 silicone fluid.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure where to post this. Already posted in Need Transportation.

I bought a M49 that has been used as a water tanker. Doesn't run. Need to get it moved to just outside Sharon, ND from the BIA Roads yard in Sisseton, SD. No rush. It's about a 150 miles. Can either go I 29 or back roads. I don't think my Expedition will pull it, but I may have to resort to that. Getting towing quotes in the 2k-3k range. For 150 miles? Any help or advise would be appreciated. Or if you know anyone who might help.
Thanks

P.S.
Moving it to an old Air Force Missile Alert Facility.
Anyone know if I run a compressor to air up the air tanks will the brakes work.
Tow straps or tow bars?
Having an old Air Force Missile Alert Facility to take something to sounds like LOADS of fun! I have seen tons of videos of folks buying one and turning it into a home. Might be able to kiss your own backside goodbye if there is ever a "civil disturbance" with nukes on the other side of the world - but DANG IT WOULD BE GREAT until then :cool:

As far as dragging home your M49, here are a few things to consider:

In a perfect world, the towing vehicle should be "bigger and badder" than whatever you are towing. Bigger and Heavier gives you a better opportunity to stop the calamity if something goes wrong. Going forward isn't horrible. Being able to stop is more important.

If the towed truck tries to pull out and pass you on a curve, you may lose it. Or both of you get pushed off the road. Tow Bar speed limit is 35mph if I remember correctly. I know people do more and go faster, but slow and steady will win the race!

I would suggest it might take you a full day to drag your new-to-you truck a hundred and fifty miles. Checking the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and axles would be a good investment in time. Getting stuck on the side of the road because something overheated would make an already difficult trip even more stressful.

I feel sure some of the other guys will chime in...

Best Success with whatever you decide to do!

sorensonsc

Having an old Air Force Missile Alert Facility to take something to sounds like LOADS of fun! I have seen tons of videos of folks buying one and turning it into a home. Might be able to kiss your own backside goodbye if there is ever a "civil disturbance" with nukes on the other side of the world - but DANG IT WOULD BE GREAT until then :cool:

As far as dragging home your M49, here are a few things to consider:

In a perfect world, the towing vehicle should be "bigger and badder" than whatever you are towing. Bigger and Heavier gives you a better opportunity to stop the calamity if something goes wrong. Going forward isn't horrible. Being able to stop is more important.

If the towed truck tries to pull out and pass you on a curve, you may lose it. Or both of you get pushed off the road. Tow Bar speed limit is 35mph if I remember correctly. I know people do more and go faster, but slow and steady will win the race!

I would suggest it might take you a full day to drag your new-to-you truck a hundred and fifty miles. Checking the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and axles would be a good investment in time. Getting stuck on the side of the road because something overheated would make an already difficult trip even more stressful.

I feel sure some of the other guys will chime in...

Best Success with whatever you decide to do!
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of using a Class A RV, 16,000lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks