• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brackets for A/C Compressor anyone?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you who have followed my rebuild thread over in the CUCV Hotrodding forum, you may know that I am installing a new Vintage Air air conditioning kit. Vintage Air can provide everything necessary to install A/C in our trucks except the custom brackets needed for our dual alternator engines. Nostalgic Air does offer a kit which includes the brackets, however they outsource the brackets from a small mom-and-pop machine shop in Texas. After comparing the Vintage and Nostalgic kits, I wanted the Vintage kit but needed the brackets, so I tracked down the shop in Texas and bought the brackets separately. I documented this process starting at post #301 in my rebuild thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/post-2224882 After I had installed the brackets and A/C compressor and finished assembling the engine, I wished I had scanned the brackets into my computer so they could be replicated, with the improvements I had made, for future production if necessary. I promised myself that if I ever disassembled the front of my engine for whatever reason, I would scan the brackets. Well, I have now decided to add a ProCharger Supercharger and need to disassemble the front end in order to change the crank pulley from a CUCV 3-groove to a HMMWV 4-groove in order to make room for the ProCharger supercharger crankshaft pulley. I plan to scan the A/C brackets while the front is disassembled.
So my question to you guys, is there enough interest in the availability of A/C brackets for me to mass produce them? I’m thinking I would need to produce and sell at least a dozen sets at around $250 a set in order to break even. Y’all think about this and let me know.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ProCharger Supercharger?!?!?!? Now you have my attention! :drool:
Yeah I'm tired of catching hail about not turboing this P400 engine. Still not going to turbo it, but got to looking at the Procharger superchargers. They mount similar to an alternator or AC compressor and run off a belt from a crank pulley. Exactly what I've been looking for to keep as much heat as possible away from the engine. I figured I only live once. https://www.procharger.com/truck-superchargers/general-motors/hummer-h2/2009-03-hummer-h2-62-60 . I will have to fabricate my own mounting brackets and air supply pipes, but I can do that and enjoy doing it. I will post all developments in my rebuild thread.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the ProCharger will not work. I spoke with a ProCharger engineer on the phone and he informed me that their compressors are designed for high RPMs and would not be beneficial at the low RPMs of a diesel.

So I reached out to Bullet Superchargers in Australia https://bulletcars.com/superchargers/chevrolet/chevy-diesel-engine/ . It looks like I may be installing one of theirs. I won't know until their guy sends me detailed dimensions so I can make sure the rear intake will clear and the snout will clear the crossover and throttle cable. He seems to indicate that they would, but we shall see. I will update my rebuild thread with any progress, as this is not the appropriate thread to be doing so.

The Bullet Supercharger has an optional intercooler that fits under the screw. Pretty innovative, actually. I'm kinda jealous.

2-supercharger-6.5-chev-lr.jpg

6.5 Bullet manifold with phenolic spacers.jpg

6.5 intercooler AW.JPG

6.5 with intercooler and leftside intake.JPG

LT67

For those of you who have followed my rebuild thread over in the CUCV Hotrodding forum, you may know that I am installing a new Vintage Air air conditioning kit. Vintage Air can provide everything necessary to install A/C in our trucks except the custom brackets needed for our dual alternator engines. Nostalgic Air does offer a kit which includes the brackets, however they outsource the brackets from a small mom-and-pop machine shop in Texas. After comparing the Vintage and Nostalgic kits, I wanted the Vintage kit but needed the brackets, so I tracked down the shop in Texas and bought the brackets separately. I documented this process starting at post #301 in my rebuild thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/post-2224882 After I had installed the brackets and A/C compressor and finished assembling the engine, I wished I had scanned the brackets into my computer so they could be replicated, with the improvements I had made, for future production if necessary. I promised myself that if I ever disassembled the front of my engine for whatever reason, I would scan the brackets. Well, I have now decided to add a ProCharger Supercharger and need to disassemble the front end in order to change the crank pulley from a CUCV 3-groove to a HMMWV 4-groove in order to make room for the ProCharger supercharger crankshaft pulley. I plan to scan the A/C brackets while the front is disassembled.
So my question to you guys, is there enough interest in the availability of A/C brackets for me to mass produce them? I’m thinking I would need to produce and sell at least a dozen sets at around $250 a set in order to break even. Y’all think about this and let me know.
If I think of it, I'll take a pic of the AC brackets in my 86 M1008 when I get it back from the shop..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks