• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden LU4 winch to hydraulic using power steering pump on M37 (?)

John G

Gentlemen, I have converted my m37 dodge to a 318 v8 with the NP 435
TRANSMISSION. Since the NP435 Transmission has no pto access on the
drivers side for my LU4 WINCH. Has anyone converted their LU4 WINCH
TO hydraulic or have any information on doing so. I really would like to
have the LU4 OPERATIONAL AND NOT STATIC. Any help would be
appreciated!!

Thank's

John G

gentrysgarage

Had a ex Colorado Parks Department 1959 International Travelette that they had adapted a WC bed Braden winch to the front. The pto was on the opposite side of the input to the winch. What they did was run the driveshaft to front, put a chain gear on it supported by a pillowblock on both sides . The chain ran to the input of the winch with a pillow block support also. Must have worked fine as the cable was well frayed! Just an idea...

Sebastian

Hi John G.

Maybe a bit outdated on this reply but I have the answer.
I bought a LU4 winch a couple of years ago in Germany who was converted to hydraulic. I can take some pictures for the actuator. I never saw it mounted in a M37 but I think it could fit.
let me know if you are interested. i can take some pictures for you.

Sebastian

John G

Sebastian, Any help you could give me on the conversion. Photo's,name of the actuator, and length,width
would be really helpful.

Sebastian

John.
I have it now disassembled so it will give you an idea about how it looks.
I can sell it to you. but I think it can be easier and cheaper find one in the US, I'm in buenos Aires, Argentina now.
I will take some pictures in the weekend. All I remember is the actuator was made in Ulm. Germany.

Regards

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, I have converted my m37 dodge to a 318 v8 with the NP 435
TRANSMISSION. Since the NP435 Transmission has no pto access on the
drivers side for my LU4 WINCH. Has anyone converted their LU4 WINCH
TO hydraulic or have any information on doing so. I really would like to
have the LU4 OPERATIONAL AND NOT STATIC. Any help would be
appreciated!!

Thank's

John G
There are np435 transmission cases with dual windows for right or left pto applications.

Frank

John G

If anyone has any information on converting LU4 winch to electrical on the m37 I would greatly appreciate this information.

John Mc

Mounting an electric winch is simple on a non-winch M37 bumper. Just cut a hole in it for the cable and bount a fairlead to it. (I may know someone here in VT who would be willing to sell an M37 non-winch bumper.) You will not need the frame extensions which were added to accommodate the LU-4 winch. As a bonus, there are folks out there looking for the winch bumper parts, so you would have an easy time selling them. (I also know someone who would probably be interested in your LU4 winch, PTO, Winch Bumper and Frame extensions.)

The original electrical system is marginal on an M37 if you want to do anything but light, infrequent winching with an electric winch. You may also want to look into a hydraulic winch. I believe MileMarker (and probably others) makes some that run off a power steering pump. I can;t recall if the 435 transmission has a provision for a PTO output or not. If it does, but getting a mechanical hook up to the LU4 wont work, you would use the PTO to drive a hydraulic pump for a hydraulic winch.

John G

Have heard of sum owners using the power steering pump to also drive the winch. Np 435 transi has pto access on passenger side of transi only. If any member knows of process of driving winch with power steering pump on vehicle or any information on this subject I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks John G

John Mc

Have heard of sum owners using the power steering pump to also drive the winch. Np 435 transi has pto access on passenger side of transi only. If any member knows of process of driving winch with power steering pump on vehicle or any information on this subject I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks John G
There are winches made to run off of hydraulics. Mile-Marker is one manufacturer - they make some great hydraulic winches, including some that are two speed, so you can get higher speeds for lighter loads, but still have a powerful winch at lower speed for the heavy stuff.

If you are looking to run the stock winch off a power steering pump, you'll need to add a hydraulic motor to drive it. (As far as what type or spec of motor you would need, that's beyond my knowledge).

You also have the option of running a hydraulic winch (such as a Mile Marker winch) off of a hydraulic pump driven by the PTO on your transmission, if you are willing to go to the expense of buying the hydraulic pump. You could use that pump to power other hydraulics, if you had such a need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks