• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Bleeding

UPFINN

Hi all

Going to go look at a deuce this Saturday and if everything checks out will pick her up. Seller says everything is good except for the brakes. Pedal goes to floor and wheels have brake fluid drips. Sounds like the wheel cylinders are leaking. Leak happended over winter storage.

My plan is to add fluid and power bleed the brakes. If this temporarily fixes the problem, would I be safe taking it on a 150 mile trip back home?

I am currently building a power bleeder out of one of those pump up spray jugs. Running the hose to a valve and guage assembly that screws into the master cylinder vent hole.

Anyone know what size that hole in the master cylinder cap is?

What size tube should I run from the bleeder valves into the catch containers?

Also, what kind of brake fluid is most likely in this truck (DOT3 or 5?) Truck is from year 1966.

How much fluid will I need, half a gallon? Would a need a full gallon for a manual bleed if needed?

Just want to make sure I get things right before heading out.

-UPFINN

Heath_h49008

You aren't going to find anyone here recommending you drive a deuce with known brake issues. Find someone with a towbar.

That having been said, and knowing people refuse to accept advice that costs money in most cases, you will need at least a 1/2 gallon of DOT5... not 5.1... not 3... DOT 5.

You will need to bleed at the airpack first, then the wheels farthest from the master on back.

This MIGHT make it driveable... but it I will wager all you will do is waste the $40 in brake fluid as it runs out the leaking cylinders. These are single circuit brakes and the truck weighs 13,000+lbs. Is it really worth killing someone if you can't stop?

Just call a towtruck. Please.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Towbar it or have it towed. Unless you're able to Fred Flinstone stop a 13K lb truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surprised no one has really ripped on you yet about trying to drive one with known brake problems.

I've got one without brakes and although it is fine on my property I would not dare take it out on the road and I wouldn't sell it to someone who was going to. All it has is leaky wheel cylinders too.

Tow

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, don't put any faith in the parking brake system. They're just that, a parking brake. Not an emergency brake.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go to ace hardware and buy there small spray jug. Take off the tip that comes with it and screw the spray tube right into the vent port. Dont need quick fittings or gage. I would have maybe 2 Qt's of fluid. Use dot 5 no matter whats in there just make shure you see a good stream of purple fluid comming out for the change over.

Last edited:

UPFINN

Thanks for the responses.

The advice I got from friends and mechanics locally was to just add more brake fluid if the leak is slow. Said wheel cylinders can slowly leak out over storage. We have had snow on the ground 6-7months, which was roughly how long this truck was likely stored. I suppose it is risky to assume the leak won't get bigger while driving resulting in complete failure.

Will look at the truck anyways and see what shape its in. Will consider having in towed or hauled. Perhaps a F350 dually could pull it with a tow bar but 150 miles would be iffy and I imagine braking would be limited.

Anyone know what the cost would likely be for shipping 150 miles? $200-$300? I see on USHIP these trucks get shipped cross country occasionaly for 3-4k.

Heath_h49008

If you know anyone with a logging company, large farm, or excavating co. they would have a lowboy. You might also call the local John Deere dealership and find out who hauls tractors for them.

Just trying to think of something cheaper than a big rig towtruck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaky wheel cylinders means there is brake fluid in the drums. Fluid there means questionable friction & braking. Tow or haul it!

BTW, towing a Deuce with a 1 ton, is another bad idea!

Rusty nuts

Are all of the wheel cylinders leaking? I wouldn't think all would go at once. I was in y he same boat but what my son and I did was to go check the truck out, made the deal after assessing what we would need to make it drivable. We then went home which was a 170 mile trip, gathered tools, fluids and parts. We went back and while my son did all the fluids, tire air and cleaning windows and mirrors and got lights working and I changed out 3 wheel cylinders and pressure blead the system and we were on the road in 4 hours. We made it home with no problems.

dont be in a hurry and don't try and drive home a truck with a known brake problem......it's not worth it.

UPFINN

White Motor Company Gas Engine?

I'm curious, did White Motor Company make a gasoline engine? Was going to look at a 1966 deuce tomorrow and was told by the seller it had a "six cylinder white engine", but was just informed today it ran on gasoline. :(

Looked online and it seems that White Motor Company only made multifuel diesel engines in the 1960s.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_deuce_chart.php

Another strange thing about this truck is that the hardtop has three orange lights on it. Have not been able to find another one like this.

Either the truck had an engine swap and the guy is reading off the old data plates, or he is running straight gas in a multifuel! :shock:

If that is the case, I imagine the injector pump may be damaged.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious, did White Motor Company make a gasoline engine? Was going to look at a 1966 deuce tomorrow and was told by the seller it had a "six cylinder white engine", but was just informed today it ran on gasoline. :(
When I was a teenager I used to drive around chasing cows back across the creek onto their own property using a WW2 surplus White Halftrack. It had a White flathead six engine in it. So yes, White did make gasoline engines at one time.

And yes, the humane association monitored and verified that no animals were harmed or injured in the making of my fun times :naner:. Neither the cows or the Halftrack were very fast or maneuverable!

3rdaavbn

Don't drive it. Find a loadoll trailer hauler, either in your area or where you want it picked up. (Do a search).
They can pick up and drop off w/o wreckers on both ends. I give you this info from the school of hard kn.ocks

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other possibility is that the Deuce in question is a VERY old soldier (WW2 vintage) that was last rebuilt in 1966 and still has its original gasoline motor.

UPFINN

Truck is in perfect shape except front wheel cylinders leak. No rust, has winch. Has wider tires with 3 rows of tread compared to the standard NDs. Could get it for around $3000. Wondering if it is worth buying, or save for a multi fuel deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks