• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light Issue

AZDeuce

Gentlemen

My CUCV has been down for ten months due to electrical issues and my inability to figure them out. Finally yestrday I got it all sorted out (or so I thought) and and had it running. I drove it around without any apparent issues.

This morning I drove it to church on the way home I stopped to fuel it up, and noticed the brake lights were on. I tapped the pedal, checked the light switch but everything seemed ok, I tried the emerency flashers and they did NOT work, but the brake lghts stayed on. They would flash when I activated the turn signals.

When I got home I tore into her, I first pulled off the brake light switch plug at the pedal, even with the plug off I had brake lights as long as the key was on (they go out when I turn off the key). Next I turned on the turn signals to determine which flasher at the fuse box did what. The bottom right one was clicking for the turn signals.

So figuring the top left flasher must be for the emergency flashers I pulled it thinking maybe it was bad, as the flashers don't flash they just turn on, but when I turned on the key I still had brake lights.

So now I'm confused, the day before everything seemed fine but today I have this issue.

So I traced the wiring loom running from the rear of the truck up into the engine compartment. I then saw two wires I thought might be the brake light wires I cut one, but still had brake lights I then spliced it back together.

The second wire I cut killed the brake lights (I believe it was a yellow one).

Now my thought at this point is to splice a piece of wire onto this wire that runs to the brake lights, run it through the firewall, and
then determine which of the two wires at the brake switch plug at the brake pedal is the power and which one completes the circuit to the tail lights.

Could I then cut the tail light wire at the plug, and splice it to the wire from the brake lights?

I'm "pretty sure" that would activate my brake lights when I hit the pedal, but would I loose my turn signals/flashers?

This truck has a pretty hacked up electrical system due to the modifications by our Sheriff Department who owned it previously, and me who melted the fuse box when I dropped the #2 Alt against the engine block BEFORE disconnecting the batteries.

Won't do that again!

I was told by a fellow CUCV owner to circuvent the kill swich next to the light switch as they some times go bad, I just hooked all the wires together......but maybe that wasn't such a good idea, anybody got any thoughts on any of this.

I have no way to download the manuals as I only have dial up webtv, or I might have been able to figure this out on my own.....

.....well, maybe........

Thanks in advance for any help.

dstang97

I think you are in same boat as a couple of us. "town trucks" sounds like you need to start from scratch and get a new harness. That's what I had to do. Also if you put on your hazards do they work like they should? What about turn signals do they work as they should?

rnd-motorsports

You say you have the brake lite switch out. Is it still plugged in ? when you push the plunger on the switch while its plugged in does the lites go out? sounds as if you have a burnt together wire. the circuit goes from brake lite switch to the turn signal switch then to the tail lites. If the lite stay on with the brake lite switch unplugged then you have a shorted wire. and will have to follow the wires to find were its shorted, sounds as if your fuse box would be a good start!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks