• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light switch Help

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All....so I was trying to install a brake controller on my M1028. I opened the dash bottom to get to the brake switch to splice the brake controller to it. I had batteries disconnected already. I exposed the brake light switch and removed the connector and put power back to identify the cold wire to hook my brake controller, then disconnected again. Looking at the colorized wiring diagram, Orange was the hot side and the white with a black stripe is the cold side. Adding power for a minute confirmed this. I made the used a splice connector and tapped the brake controller wire to the cold side. Once connected, I checked the brakes lights and the brake controller blade in the tow hitch with help from my son before I buttoned the dash back up. Once done with that, I checked again and now the brake lights and the brake controller blade had no power. Hmmmm......opened the bottom of the dash back up and took the connector off of the brake switch and now the orange wire had no power. Went to the fuse box and checked ALL of the fuses and they were intact and had power. Still no power to the orange wire on the brake switch. That wire moves up towards the top of the dash area along with the wires from the accelerator pedal. Before I go tearing apart the dash, can I get some thoughts on this? Where does that orange wire tie in? Is there something else to check before I open it all up? I am a work in progress as far as mechanical and electrical skills as I am learning as I go. I am about to dive into the TM to start looking as well but thought I would toss this out first as it may help a newbie narrow the search field to find my answer. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add that I did check the brake switch and it is working fine.

Brake switch connector on the lower right side of the picture, Orange and white wire with black stripe
IMG_1162.JPG

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All sorted out...ended up being a bad connection in the fuse box. When I pulled the fuse out, cleaned up and bent the contact to make the fuse fit tight again ......we have power!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks