• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Lines

Dipstick

I just got finished fixing a nagging air leak at my right side glad hand. I cut out the kinked spaghetti/pretzel plumbing the guys who bobbed my Deuce left behind. I hole drilled a frame brace (one inch hole saw) and used 3/8" soft copper with a spring bender and compression fittings. A simple J shape. It looks much cleaner now and the air leak is history. Went on a twisty two lane 20 mile drive to celebrate. Brutus performed splendidly. Got up to 48 MPH.

caliber1

Only 48, were you flat towing a 5 ton? roflGood job, but where's the pics? I haven't seen your door handles yet either.

Sorry, the towing crack was about another thread.

Dipstick

Only 48, were you flat towing a 5 ton? roflGood job, but where's the pics? I haven't seen your door handles yet either.

Sorry, the towing crack was about another thread.
Hey Hank...Caliber...easy on me guys! I threw my camera out two weeks ago. It ate batteries. Couldn't stand it. I keep forgetting my cell phone has a camera. I think 48 mph is pretty good for 134 ponies moving a 10,000 lb. bobber. Besides, I wanted to make sure the rubber side stayed down in the turns. The spin on filter kit from Jatonka works as advertised. Oil pressure scoots right up a second after I poke the little red button. Hope you're both well. Love the door handles Caliber!

Dipstick

Speaking of that, I do need to order the spin on filter kit for my bobber.
Hank, it's a really easy install. The one mistake I made was that I was parked on a slight slope toward the driver's side. So, although the filter elements and the cans were drained after sitting for a day, there was still a pint or so of oil left where the filter cans sit. It ran down the side of my engine. Messy. Try to get your truck as level as possible or slightly tipped to the passenger side when you do it. I used a covered five gallon plastic pail with a pour spout (it had held boiler water treatment chemical). I placed a wide mouth funnel in the spout and the top of the funnel ended up about 8" below the drain plug. It captured every drop of oil. You'll like the spin on filters. The oil pressure shoots right up just a few seconds after you push the start button on a cold start. Much sooner than stock. I used Shell Rotella 15W-40. I think multi-grade oil covers me for the wide range in temperatures we have in N.J. Bought the kit from Jatonka. Well,
off I go to twelve hours of overtime at work. Tomorrow too.

welldigger

Hank, it's a really easy install. The one mistake I made was that I was parked on a slight slope toward the driver's side. So, although the filter elements and the cans were drained after sitting for a day, there was still a pint or so of oil left where the filter cans sit. It ran down the side of my engine. Messy. Try to get your truck as level as possible or slightly tipped to the passenger side when you do it. I used a covered five gallon plastic pail with a pour spout (it had held boiler water treatment chemical). I placed a wide mouth funnel in the spout and the top of the funnel ended up about 8" below the drain plug. It captured every drop of oil. You'll like the spin on filters. The oil pressure shoots right up just a few seconds after you push the start button on a cold start. Much sooner than stock. I used Shell Rotella 15W-40. I think multi-grade oil covers me for the wide range in temperatures we have in N.J. Bought the kit from Jatonka. Well,
off I go to twelve hours of overtime at work. Tomorrow too.
Told ya you would like jatonka's kit lol. I can't say the instant oil pressure will keep our engines running any longer than a stock set up. It sure does make me feel better tho. For nothing else changing that dang primary fuel filter makes it worth it. Actually the ease of changing them makes all of them worth it. Also glad you got your glad hand fixed. Air leaks annoy me to death.

Dipstick

Brake line pic.

Okay. Here's my brake line picture. I used 3/8 compression fittings. You can see where I used a 1" hole saw to go through the brace. A nice direct shot to the gladhand bulkhead fitting. Up at the top of the picture you can see part of the other gladhands spaghetti tubing. I'm going to do the same to that side. My air pressure builds up a lot faster now. Does it look like a good fix? I'll be getting a picture of my way cool Caliber1 door handles in the near future. My cell phone is danged hard to take a picture with.

Next up is the thermostat. My engine temp never gets about 140. Does not make for happy cylinders and pistons. Hope everyone is well and thanks for the great replies. Hank, Caliber1, Welldigger.....my favorite SS peeps.mms_picture.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks