• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake lock on wrecker

rizzo

anyone ever replace this?

I am thinking of adding a new one right after the air pack and before the T on the frame rail.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the old Jacobs line lock? A lever you turned up to lock the brakes on older hydraulic brake systems?

rizzo

the one on the 543 is in front of a cross member and over top of the E brake drum. I cant fit my hand in there. I think it would be eaiser to add one than replace that one.
note: it only locks the rear

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the one on the 108? I was pleased to find out mine works and locks up all wheels. Have you found a source for them?

rizzo

no, just did some checking tonight, I am getting power out of the switch, but have not checked at the lock. will test that first. It worked when I first test drove the truck. now it doesnt. I want to make sure the wiring is ok.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard a rumor that Kevin Emdee at Star Electric had some new ones. Can't remember who told me, might have been 73M819. I'd like to buy one for stock on day. Kevin will be at Aberdeen, I'll see if I can track him down.

m139h2otruck

The M812A1 has a "line loc" installed by the hoist/body contractor. It uses a push button in the dash (electric) that controls an electrical solenoid valve mounted on one of the rear cross members and only works on the rear 4 brakes. You pump up the brakes, holding the pedal and pushing the button at the same time and then to release, just hit brakes. Don't want to use for long term holding (parking) as the wheel cylinders will leak down and release. Drag racers have a similar device to hold them still on the starting line.

CGarbee

I have a Mico Lock on the shelf that came out of a large International... I'll bring it with me to Aberdeen...
Mico still makes them (do a Google for the company) and supports the older setups (I have the contact info for thier tech guy who knows how to work the cross references between the current rebuild kits and the old assemblies). I also have the exploded view for the model that I have...

The newer models that are shown on the Mico website all have interlocks and interfaces to your lights/horns etc., but you can still order the older manual styles without the electronics. NAPA, AWDirect, and most heavy duty truck shops have them or can get them for you.

CGarbee

Re: RE: brake lock on wrecker

Westech said:
I just got one for my M211. it says 12v on it. I guess you hit the brakes and then lock the valve, just like a line lock for my race car. It does state temp parking brake.
Mico lists all thier line locks in both 12 and 24 volt versions... They all work on the "hit the brake" then push button, flip lever, rotate handle (depending on version) principal. "Newer" electically operated versions have the ablity to release pressure when the pedel is depressed after they are activated, most of the older mechanical designs don't have this ability but some do... Depends on model.

Since the company is concerned about the liability if your brakes leak down and the vehicle moves, they state on all the literature that it is a temperary brake, not to be used in place of a mechanical brake for long term parking. The newer models also have the interface to the horns/lights/siren so that you can be alerted if the brake pressure drops releasing the brakes while you are away...

I know of a few guys that use them as their only parking brake who apply them, get out and put the wheel chocks in place, and walk away...

They are nice.

packman

Hi guys,
Cool I was wondering how the brakes are applied with that button on the dash of my M 816. I have excellent stopping power but some times the brakes lock on after you have stopped the truck, when you go to drive off again she's locked solid, can anybody tell me obvious areas to look at so I can fix this headache.
Thanks.

acetomatoco

You have a air pak problem, provided your line lock is not engaged...or you have failed to use OHT in your Pak as the LO tells you to.. or your MC plunger is set too long. ACE

Hi guys,
Cool I was wondering how the brakes are applied with that button on the dash of my M 816. I have excellent stopping power but some times the brakes lock on after you have stopped the truck, when you go to drive off again she's locked solid, can anybody tell me obvious areas to look at so I can fix this headache.
Thanks.
Hello did you ever figure this issue out? I have an Mi816 that when I set the line lock will not disengage..
Truck will not move

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my m62 I just need to pump the brake peddle to get it to release. Is that not the case for your truck?
My M62(A2) never had a mico-loc , unfortunately .. However, I remember both gasser M62's my unit had at BN Maint had them .. Funny how some got them and some didn't .. Can't trust them 100% anyway, but still would be nice to have.. My M62 also doesn't have the johnny valve, but I do have a spare I am thinking about piping into the system to set the brakes, if that's even possible to do on that side of the system

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks